Survivor Season 42

VaBeach_Eagle

I didn't watch Season 41, but now that it's over, it's time for the season 42 thread to begin. 

On 12/16/2021 at 6:50 PM, homerpat said:

those stupid phrase advantages again. not a fan of that twist

Agreed, but you have to remember that these seasons are filmed back to back so it’s not like they can go back and remove it afterwards. I think the beware advantage dies after 42.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, 20Safety_Hazards said:

Agreed, but you have to remember that these seasons are filmed back to back so it’s not like they can go back and remove it afterwards. I think the beware advantage dies after 42.

100%. I think it’s toast once it’s known next time they film. Had just hoped they’d realized it sucked first time

On 12/19/2021 at 1:59 PM, homerpat said:

100%. I think it’s toast once it’s known next time they film. Had just hoped they’d realized it sucked first time

yeah just seeing the trailer for the first time. So this is a mirror image of season 41? No food, beware advantages and "faster pace?" Ehh man. IDK. This isn't getting priority on the DVR at all. 

• 2 months later...

I had completely forgotten that this was starting this past week. I also saw that Australian Survivor "Blood vs. Water" came out in January. 

Was sitting on the DVR for a week and watched the 2 hour premiere last night.

Decent start game wise. Couple early likeables, and some annoying types to root for and against.

Still very much leaning into the cultural diversity angle, so be warned.

Here's Australian Survivor Blood vs. Water, the videos will properly embed, but the thumbnails act as spoilers, as you get closer to the end of the season. So I've just made them display as links in this Spoiler box. If you want to just watch them here and don't care about spoilers via the thumbnails, I'll try to post them in a second post, embedded (in a spoiler). 

Spoiler
Episode 1:

Episode 2:

Episode 3:

Episode 4:

Episode 5:

Episode 6:

Episode 7:

Episode 8:

Episode 9:

Episode 10:

Episode 11:

Episode 12:

Episode 13:

Episode 14:

Episode 15:

Episode 16:

Episode 17:

Episode 18:

I haven't watched yet, but my brother told me that Sandra (from American Survivor), is on that season of Australian Survivor. 

I completely missed that this already started.

Finally caught up. Seems like a better cast than last season. 

Can we just take a moment to appreciate Jonathan carrying the ladder and at times literally his team on his back on the way to single handedly winning his tribe immunity and the top reward. I don’t think I have seen an individual dominate in a challenge like that in a long long time. 

• Like 4

On 3/27/2022 at 1:37 PM, 20Safety_Hazards said:

Can we just take a moment to appreciate Jonathan carrying the ladder and at times literally his team on his back on the way to single handedly winning his tribe immunity and the top reward. I don’t think I have seen an individual dominate in a challenge like that in a long long time. 

Just watched it last night - not only did he dominate the challenge individually, but the other two teams simply couldn't complete the first part - not that I can blame them, it looked like they were all getting tossed around pretty good out there.

TC was pretty whack too.  I blame the girl for risking her vote to begin with and the logic she used to make that decision.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Still hate the hour glass twist (even with Applebee’s on the line! :roll:) but this weeks episode was damn entertaining. 

15 minutes ago, 20Safety_Hazards said:

Still hate the hour glass twist (even with Applebee’s on the line! :roll:) but this weeks episode was damn entertaining. 

Yeah, I can usually somewhat predict who is going home before tribal, but this one was near impossible. Gun to my head, I would have put my money on people defaulting to the easiest target, Goliath. Pretty shocked but pleasantly surprised at how things unfolded.

40 minutes ago, Kz! said:

Yeah, I can usually somewhat predict who is going home before tribal, but this one was near impossible. Gun to my head, I would have put my money on people defaulting to the easiest target, Goliath. Pretty shocked but pleasantly surprised at how things unfolded.

I felt pretty sure Jonathan was safe as Mike loves him and Hai, Lindsay and Omar all described him as their shield so I did not see the group turning on him yet. But I had no idea whether it would be Lydia or Maryanne. 

I haven't really looked into it myself, but I've been told that the ratings have been pretty bad for the past 2 seasons. If that's the case, American Survivor could be nearing it's end. 

Ratings are down from Winners at War but that’s not really a fair comparison as Winners at war was a major spectacle of a season.  It’s still holding the top or close to top spot on Wednesdays and is a relatively safe ratings draw for CBS so I doubt it’s going anytime soon. Much like The Amazing Race, it may not be drawing in the early ratings Bonanza but their fan base core is so locked in I don’t think there is any chance cbs gives up on it. 

I'm not crazy about 15,000 various idols currently in play - but I do like how they've added risk elements in order to acquire them.

Overall - this is one of the better non-gimmick/All Star seasons they've had in recent memory.

1 hour ago, Gern Blanston said:

I'm not crazy about 15,000 various idols currently in play - but I do like how they've added risk elements in order to acquire them.

Overall - this is one of the better non-gimmick/All Star seasons they've had in recent memory.

I agree with one exception. Having Knowledge is Power in a season where the idol holders have to basically disclose their idols at challenges is so incredibly stupid. 

But this cast has been excellent and a joy to watch. 

• Like 1

'Survivor' contestant Ralph Kiser dead at 56: 'He was bigger than life'

Ralph Kiser was a fan favorite in the "Survivor" series during Season 22.

Ralph Kiser was "bigger than life," his girlfriend LaVonda Wood tells Fox News Digital. (Michael Yarish/CBS )

Former "Survivor" contestant Ralph Kiser has died. He was 56.

Kiser's longtime girlfriend, LaVonda Wood, confirmed to Fox News Digital he suffered a fatal heart attack early Wednesday morning.

Kiser, a farmer from Lebanon, Virginia, appeared on Season 22 of "Survivor: Redemption Island" in 2011. He finished eighth in the competition.

Wood, who worked alongside the "love of her life" at the Clinch Mountain Small Animal Auction in his hometown, remembered Kiser as a man who "loved everybody."

Ralph Kiser, Grant Mattos,  Rob Mariano, Phillip Sheppard, Ashley Underwood, Andrea Boehlke Mike Chiesl, of the Murlonio Tribe, during the eighth episode of "Survivor: Redemption Island."

Ralph Kiser, Grant Mattos,  Rob Mariano, Phillip Sheppard, Ashley Underwood, Andrea Boehlke Mike Chiesl, of the Murlonio Tribe, during the eighth episode of "Survivor: Redemption Island." (Michael Yarish/CBS )

"I just loved him. I don't know how I'll live without him. He was a force to be reckoned with. He was bigger than life. He consumed the room," Wood shared.

"He smiled and loved everybody. He especially loved older people and children and he was amazing. He was like Dr. Doolittle, he was an animal whisperer. He was just incredible."

Wood added that Clinch Mountain Small Animal Auction was his childhood dream. He died on the same farm he was born on, she said.

Ralph Kiser was "bigger than life," his girlfriend LaVonda Wood tells Fox News Digital.

Ralph Kiser was a fan favorite in the "Survivor" series during Season 22. (Monty Brinton/CBS via Getty Images)

"We did it together. He couldn't do it without me and I couldn't have done it without him," Wood said of the business, adding that she's "so proud" to have watched him live out his dream.

"The Survivor family extends our deepest condolences to the family of Ralph Kiser," "Survivor" host Jeff Probst said in a statement shared on the show’s Twitter account. "His huge smile, his positive attitude and of course his infectious rooster crow made him one of the most likable to ever play Survivor."

Kiser was a fan favorite in the "Survivor" series during Season 22.

He called the experience on the CBS series "the time of my life" in an interview with People magazine shortly after his departure.

Ashley Underwood, Steve Wright, Ralph Kiser, Rob Mariano, Julie Wolfe, Phillip Sheppard, Andrea Boehlke, Grant Mattos, and Natalie Tenerelli, of the Murlonio Tribe during tribal council, during the tenth episode of "Survivor: Redemption Island."

Ashley Underwood, Steve Wright, Ralph Kiser, Rob Mariano, Julie Wolfe, Phillip Sheppard, Andrea Boehlke, Grant Mattos, and Natalie Tenerelli, of the Murlonio Tribe during tribal council, during the tenth episode of "Survivor: Redemption Island." (CBS via Getty Images)

"It was a dream come true for a man like me to be in Nicaragua and playing a game to be on television. What does that happen to anyone? Never, that's when. I'd do it again over and over," he told the outlet at the time.

"Survivor" podcast host Mike Bloom reacted to the news of his passing in an online post.

"It's tough to dim the lights on #Survivor day, but it seems that the alumni family has lost another member today: Ralph Kiser from Redemption Island. R.I.P. to one of the few lights in a very dark season, who provided 33 days of accidental idol finding, rooster crowing & more," he wrote on Twitter.

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/survivor-contestant-ralph-kiser-dead

Honestly, not a good episode, and for me it has nothing to do with the reaction to rocksroy’s vote out.  The producers so badly botched this episode from the worlds shortest immunity challenge held in terrible weather conditions, to turning tribal into a public voting confessional giving Tori the ability to play her shot when she might otherwise not, and in the process forcing Jonathan to be the bad guy by him asking if Maryanne and drea are playing the idol. It was just not a good episode at all which is a shame because I have loved this season so far.