Eagles Mock Draft (12-19-21)

Ray75

Although I’m still hoping Hurts turns out to be the guy after all, I wanted to explore what an offseason could look like if Howie does trade for a veteran QB.

In an ideal World we are able to use all three first rounders to surround Hurts with talent on both sides of the ball but the reality is that Jeffrey and Howie might not be patient enough to give Hurts another year.

Jeffrey can’t have his high flying passing attack he desperately wants and Sirianni can’t run the offense he envisioned for the Eagles with Hurts under center.

That’s why I believe Howie will first explore trading for a vet like Wilson, Watson (or even Garoppolo) before turning his attention to draft prospects like Corral and Pickett. I get the feeling sticking with Hurts is only an option if all else has failed. Let’s see what happens...

Re-sign;

Brandon Graham (1 yr), Jason Kelce (1 yr),, Nate Herbig,, Steven Nelson (1 yr), Sua Opeta, Anthony Harris (1 yr).

Let walk;;

Brandon Brooks, (cap savings: $13,5 million, dead money $5.9 million)

Derek Barnett (cap savings $7,2 million)

Rodney McCleod

New contract/restructure;

Darius Slay (cap savings; $10-12 million).

Trade;

Eagles trade a first in 2022, a first in 2023, Jalen Hurts and Andre Dillard to the Seattle Seahawks for Russell Wilson (might take another 2023 mid rounder to get it done).

Eagles trade Fletcher Cox and a 2022 5th round pick to the Las Vegas Raiders for a 2022 second rounder. (cap savings: $ 25 million, dead money $ 40 million)

FA;

JuJu Smith-Schuster, WR, Pittsburgh;

Jordan Whitehead, S, Tampa Bay;

Draft;

1) DeMarvin Leal, DT, Texas A&M;

This kid screams Eagles to me and would be the perfect replacement for the just traded Cox. Patience is key cause it’ll take time before he’ll be on that level. Big shoes to fill....

1) David Ojabo, DE, Michigan;

Although you’re betting on upside here again, Ojabo has it in spades. Might take time to reach his full potential but once he does, look out. 

2) Brandon Smith, LB, Penn State;

Eagles finally prioritise the LB position by drafting this monster.

2) Kyler Gordon, CB, Washington;

Why did I wait that long to take a DB?! Well...cause the Eagles were able to get not one but four young corners this year in McPhearson, Scott, Gowan and Vincent. If just one or two pan out, we’re fine there but to make sure the odds are in our favour we take another in the second.

3) Ricky Stromberg, OC, Arkansas;

Just wanted to throw out a new name at IOL and specifically center. Everyone is on to Linderbaum and some have heard of Patterson and Lindstrom too. Here’s one you might not know yet.

4) Jalen Tolbert, WR, South Alabama;

He might not fall this far but if he does, we grab him.

5) Yusuf Corker, S, Kentucky;

Hopefull we luck out with a late round safety here.

5) Braxton Jones, OT, Southern Utah;

We have to get OT depth after trading Dillard to the Hawks.

6) Xavier Thomas, DE, Clemson;

Another project at DE.

• Like 1

We've talked about this bud and you know where I stand. 

I'm not on board with taking a veteran QB and of all the options I'm out on Wilson the most. He's too old, too expensive and the trade capital is too high. 

Other than that though I like this. I like the draft and I like the other off season moves. That's a lot of talent added to this defense that's for sure. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

We've talked about this bud and you know where I stand. 

I'm not on board with taking a veteran QB and of all the options I'm out on Wilson the most. He's too old, too expensive and the trade capital is too high. 

Other than that though I like this. I like the draft and I like the other off season moves. That's a lot of talent added to this defense that's for sure. 

It’s just a scenario. Nothing more. We have to keep all options open until Eagles confirm they’re sticking with Hurts/Minchew, right?!

1 minute ago, Ray75 said:

It’s just a scenario. Nothing more. We have to keep all options open until Eagles confirm they’re sticking with Hurts/Minchew, right?!

Oh I agree with you bud I really do. There's a difference between what we think might happen and what we want to happen. I'd like to see more of what you'd want to see happen though 😊.

29 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Oh I agree with you bud I really do. There's a difference between what we think might happen and what we want to happen. I'd like to see more of what you'd want to see happen though 😊.

The problem with that is that I don’t know what I want.

I know which prospects I like but the QB situation isn’t sitting well with me. After an entire season, Hurts’s play created even more questions. I don’t think he’s the answer but let’s assume they stick with him.

In that scenario and them keeping Cox on the roster, I’d like a combination of the following prospects;

1) DE Ojabo/Johnson/Enagbare;

1) OC Linderbaum, OG Green, CB Gardner, Elam, Booth, LB Dean or Loyd;

1) CB McCreary, McDuffy, S Battle, Brisker, Hall, LB Smith, Harris, OC Patterson

Any combination will do...

If they fall in love with one of the QB’s, they’ll have to find a way to trade up into the top 10 or close to it. Will cost them though unless we end up with at least one top 15 pick. Would still cost them a 2nd to trade up from say 14 to 9 or 10 for either Corral or Pickett. Not preferable IMO. Unless they flat out take Willis with either they’re own or the Miami pick and bet on the upside.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ray75 said:

I know which prospects I like but the QB situation isn’t sitting well with me

Which one would you go with right now if you were on the clock?

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Which one would you go with right now if you were on the clock?

Probably Pickett cause I’m a sucker for more traditional QB’s but I think Corral is the better fit.

2 hours ago, Ray75 said:

Probably Pickett cause I’m a sucker for more traditional QB’s but I think Corral is the better fit.

I certainly think it's between those 2... I'd probably slightly lean Pickett but i think Corral has the higher ceiling (but also the lower floor).

27 minutes ago, Godfather said:

I like the different mocks with scenarios like this

Thx. Try to do my best coming up with different scenarios.

The thing is; as long as this organisation is split on Hurts being the longterm answer, all offseason will be about one thing and one thing only...the future at QB. We’ll get beat to death with podcasts, discussions and rumors with one main topic.

Projecting in which direction they’ll go is way easier when this is resolved. Until then, I fully expect Howie to leave no stone unturned. Whether that’s exploring trading for a vet or trading up in the draft for a QB.

Although I think Hurts needs more time, I just can’t see FO being patient enough. He’s simply not the ideal QB to run the high flying passing attack our owner desperately wants nor the ideal triggerman for the offense Sirianni sold Jeffrey Lurie.

No way do I want Wilson. He is often injured and he has been one of the most beaten QBs in the NFL. Seattle did him no favors never giving him a offensive line through his career. He is going to be like Cam Newton where he has the tools but he has been just beaten and battered too much and it’s too late in his career for him to be saved.  I don’t want to spend the draft capital that will be required in order to acquire him. 
Wilson is a excellent QB but Seattle threw him to the wolves season in and out and he is no longer going to be the same QB we are accustomed to watching. His contract and his busted up body isn’t worth the price that will be required for his services. I am a huge Wilson fan but I’ve seen this story play out and it will be a HUGE MISTAKE if he were to acquire him. Hopefully Howie Roseman does the right thing and passes on Wilson at this current stage of his remaining career.

if I am the Eagles remember what Wilson was in his first career year as a starter. Wilson was exactly like Jalen Hurts at this point. A decent thrower of the football and manages the game with his feet and arm. He had a great running game and relied on that to help open up the passing game through play action. They played clock management and used play action passing to get chunk plays. Wilson never had a great receiving core as well early in his career. We have a top 4 TE and a top 20 receiver who is just a rookie. He could be a star but as of right now he is just a above average #1 . 
DeVonte, Quez, and Goedert all have a bright future here in a Philly they just need another year in the system with Hurts to continue to develop. The more they fully understand the playbook and their roles inside the offense the more everything wil become second nature. Jalen hasn’t had 2 consecutive years inside the same offense since high school.Both Gardner Minshew and Jalen Hurts will reap the benefits of having the same offense and same coaches for the second straight year. This is where the whole offense will benefit greatly. 

• Like 1

@Ray75

Solid mock for this scenario, which is certainly plausible with Howie.

Used a mock draft simulator out of curiosity to see what would be the BPA at our picks and I think you'll like the results. Definitely shares a few players in common with your mock, and while I think guys like Lloyd and Gardner can easily go higher than projected below, it's definitely an interesting exercise in positional value at different points of the draft. Leal actually went in the top 10 in this mock, so went with Davis who was ranked #10 on their big board. I tried to go BPA at a position of need based on their rankings and listed needs.

980266502_ScreenShot2021-12-23at8_54_32PM.png.9e2bf56f7ebc8cb91a6fbbcdfc23616b.png 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SlimReaper4Six said:

No way do I want Wilson. He is often injured and he has been one of the most beaten QBs in the NFL. Seattle did him no favors never giving him a offensive line through his career. He is going to be like Cam Newton where he has the tools but he has been just beaten and battered too much and it’s too late in his career for him to be saved.  I don’t want to spend the draft capital that will be required in order to acquire him. 
Wilson is a excellent QB but Seattle threw him to the wolves season in and out and he is no longer going to be the same QB we are accustomed to watching. His contract and his busted up body isn’t worth the price that will be required for his services. I am a huge Wilson fan but I’ve seen this story play out and it will be a HUGE MISTAKE if he were to acquire him. Hopefully Howie Roseman does the right thing and passes on Wilson at this current stage of his remaining career.

if I am the Eagles remember what Wilson was in his first career year as a starter. Wilson was exactly like Jalen Hurts at this point. A decent thrower of the football and manages the game with his feet and arm. He had a great running game and relied on that to help open up the passing game through play action. They played clock management and used play action passing to get chunk plays. Wilson never had a great receiving core as well early in his career. We have a top 4 TE and a top 20 receiver who is just a rookie. He could be a star but as of right now he is just a above average #1 . 
DeVonte, Quez, and Goedert all have a bright future here in a Philly they just need another year in the system with Hurts to continue to develop. The more they fully understand the playbook and their roles inside the offense the more everything wil become second nature. Jalen hasn’t had 2 consecutive years inside the same offense since high school.Both Gardner Minshew and Jalen Hurts will reap the benefits of having the same offense and same coaches for the second straight year. This is where the whole offense will benefit greatly. 

Agreed but we don’t know what our GM thinks about Hurts and the QB situation in general. This mock is just a scenario, nothing more.

5 hours ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

@Ray75

Solid mock for this scenario, which is certainly plausible with Howie.

Used a mock draft simulator out of curiosity to see what would be the BPA at our picks and I think you'll like the results. Definitely shares a few players in common with your mock, and while I think guys like Lloyd and Gardner can easily go higher than projected below, it's definitely an interesting exercise in positional value at different points of the draft. Leal actually went in the top 10 in this mock, so went with Davis who was ranked #10 on their big board. I tried to go BPA at a position of need based on their rankings and listed needs.

980266502_ScreenShot2021-12-23at8_54_32PM.png.9e2bf56f7ebc8cb91a6fbbcdfc23616b.png 

Thanks brother!

Great to see you playing with this scenario. As you can see, you can still come up with a good haul if you trade for Wilson.

If it were up to me, I’d stick with Hurts and use those 3 first rounders on defensive talent. I’d consider taking another receiver if we can’t land a good one in FA, or taking Linderbaum if he falls in our lap or, here’s the kicker, trading up (even into the top 10) for a specific prospect you’ve fallen in love with (say a Karlaftis or Ojabo) or a blue chip prospect sliding (Stingley or Hamilton) cause we have to be realistic here.

If we’re somewhat unlucky draft slot wise, we might not even have one top 15 pick. To get one of those prospects, you’d likely have to trade up. For example; let’s assume Howie wants a DE and feels there’s a drop off between the likes of Karlaftis and Ojabo (please declare) and the likes of Enagbare, Sanders and Johnson. Depending on where you select, it might take a 3rd to get either Ojabo or Karlaftis.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ray75 said:

If it were up to me, I’d stick with Hurts and use those 3 first rounders on defensive talent.

I'm not sure at this point I can say that Wilson is absolutely miles better than Hurts. And that's not elevating Hurts but more I'm not sure Wilson has a long term future at the very top level. 

7 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'm not sure at this point I can say that Wilson is absolutely miles better than Hurts. And that's not elevating Hurts but more I'm not sure Wilson has a long term future at the very top level. 

Agreed! Plus we might have the next Wilson/Prescott already on the roster.

Jumped back on the bandwagon...sort of. Hurts might not take us to a SB but he’s good enough to take us to the play-offs and for the time being that’s good enough for me.

• Like 1

I don't think Wilson is shot. And he would finally have an OL. But I'd rather see if Pickett falls to the teens.