Derek Carr (Raiders QB) -- NOT AVAILABLE

Rob331

I've been seeing and hearing hints the Raiders might move on from Derek Carr. What would you think about signing him if he's released and keeping our 3 first round picks. 

• Like 1

He would be an upgrade but not the answer long term but I wouldn’t be totally against it.  I also think care would do right by himself to get out of silver and black. 

Would rather do that than trade our firsts for Wilson, but I'm not big on Carr.

Granted that franchise is a mess, but he just can't win consistently and I doubt he would be cheap.

The problem with Carr is he's not the answer, so giving him a long term contract isn't a good idea. If he would come here on a 1 or 2 year deal then absolutely. That won't happen.

2 hours ago, Rob331 said:

I've been seeing and hearing hints the Raiders might move on from Derek Carr. What would you think about signing him if he's released and keeping our 3 first round picks. 

$$$ - for the right price, why not?  But you can't discount the addition by subtraction aspect in the Wentz trade vis a vis the cap.  Carr is better than any QB currently on the roster, but I don't think he's worth breaking the bank over. I haven't seen anything from Carr that makes me think he can take a team over the top.

4 hours ago, Rob331 said:

NOPE.  

do not want.

1 hour ago, DieselEagle said:

he would be just good enough to keep us mediocre.  no thanks.  

Carr has 1 winning season.  If "mediocre" is low mediocre,  Carr can do that,  but the Eagles with Hurts are at least low mediocre. 

Depending on w-l the next few games, Hurts could be 1/1 in taking the Eagles to a winning record,  and Carr would be 1/8 in taking the Raiders to a winning record.

2 hours ago, Random Reglar said:

Carr has 1 winning season.  If "mediocre" is low mediocre,  Carr can do that,  but the Eagles with Hurts are at least low mediocre. 

Depending on w-l the next few games, Hurts could be 1/1 in taking the Eagles to a winning record,  and Carr would be 1/8 in taking the Raiders to a winning record.

Do you think the Rams are better with Stafford?

30 minutes ago, kiwieagle said:

Do you think the Rams are better with Stafford?

I don't have an opinion about the Rams.

But Carr doesn't win.   Year in, year out,  head coaches come,  head coaches go, Carr keeps his job,  the Raiders don't have a winning season. 

52 minutes ago, Random Reglar said:

I don't have an opinion about the Rams.

But Carr doesn't win.   Year in, year out,  head coaches come,  head coaches go, Carr keeps his job,  the Raiders don't have a winning season. 

My point was wins and losses aren't just a QB stat though. The Raiders team hasn't been talented for a long time. Individually, he has improved over the last few years in particular and actually been quite a good (not great) QB who has been stuck on a bad team. Much like Stafford was before the Rams.

Now, I don't think he is as good as Stafford but is probably a top-15 type QB so clear upgrade to QB play we have had this year. You get him on better team than the cluster f that is any Gruden-led team and you will see an uptick similar to what Stafford has been able to do simply because this year. Is that enough of a leap from Hurts next year on a relative cap cost basis - depends on how Hurts grows as a passer. Think the next 4 games are pretty critical here for him

I'd be for it. He's a good QB, he's an upgrade on what we have too. I'd prefer that to using draft capital to get another veteran QB.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'd be for it. He's a good QB, he's an upgrade on what we have too. I'd prefer that to using draft capital to get another veteran QB.

Is he a FA though? Otherwise, no way he gets released. If they are moving on from him, they will trade him and probably get decent value back. Lots of teams looking for QBs

No thanks on Carr.  If we don't take a QB in April (which I hope we don't), then I'd sooner roll another year with Hurts and look to draft one in 2023.  Adding Carr isn't going to transform this team into a contender.  Hoping they use their high picks this coming April to add talented young playmakers to build other areas of the team - especially on defense - and look at QB in a year when the team should be considerably stronger (knock on wood ... assuming the draft picks pan out).  

• Like 1

I'm gonna pass. To be honest, I want Howie to go big game hunting. We are uniquely equipped with the draft capital to trade for one of 3 future HOF QBs.

Go get one of them, figure out the rest after.

5 hours ago, D-Shiznit said:

I'm gonna pass. To be honest, I want Howie to go big game hunting. We are uniquely equipped with the draft capital to trade for one of 3 future HOF QBs.

Go get one of them, figure out the rest after.

Big game hunting for who though? Wilson? Too old and too expensive. Watson? Even more expensive.

14 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Big game hunting for who though? Wilson? Too old and too expensive. Watson? Even more expensive.

Wilson is not too old to me, same with the price for both, pay it.

• Like 1

Just now, D-Shiznit said:

Wilson is not too old to me, same with the price for both, pay it.

No no no. Not with this roster. Wilson is absolutely too old, is going to take a lot to trade for him and has a big contract. Plus he's 32/33 and his game does not lend itself to a player who's going to play on at a high level in to his late 30s.

• Like 1

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

No no no. Not with this roster. Wilson is absolutely too old, is going to take a lot to trade for him and has a big contract. Plus he's 32/33 and his game does not lend itself to a player who's going to play on at a high level in to his late 30s.

We can agree to disagree, but I'm all in on going after a big time QB.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2021 at 5:46 PM, Swoop said:

Would rather do that than trade our firsts for Wilson, but I'm not big on Carr.

Granted that franchise is a mess, but he just can't win consistently and I doubt he would be cheap.

On 12/19/2021 at 6:54 PM, Diehardfan said:

The problem with Carr is he's not the answer, so giving him a long term contract isn't a good idea. If he would come here on a 1 or 2 year deal then absolutely. That won't happen.

On 12/19/2021 at 7:39 PM, DieselEagle said:

he would be just good enough to keep us mediocre.  no thanks.  

I have no idea what you guys are looking at, Carr is a damn good QB

1 hour ago, EagleVA said:

Is he, though? He's had some talent around him throughout his career (albeit nothing special) and he's had one winning season in his career. His QB rating is middle of the pack. His QBR is middle of the pack. 

Is he an upgrade? Sure. At 20 million (at least) per season moving forward? Meh.

• Like 1

This Eagles squad simply does not have the defense of the 2015/2016 Broncos or the offensive firepower of last year's Bucs waiting for Tom Brady to join to justify going all in on an expensive veteran QB at this juncture. The current team is a far cry from the 2018 Super Bowl team, on both sides of the ball.

Russell Wilson/Derek Carr/etc... isn't going to turn this team into Super Bowl contenders. Our best bet is to draft well, which is asking for a lot from Howie of course, but it's the unavoidable truth. While Howie's trades/FA signings in the 2017 offseason helped put the team over the top, the foundation of that team was Andy Reid's last few draft classes from 2010-2012 (Brandon Graham, Jason Kelce, Fletcher Cox, Mychal Kendricks, Vinny Curry, Nick Foles) as well as some help from Chip Kelly (Lane Johnson, Zach Ertz, Nelson Agholor)

The Seahawks made back to back Super Bowl appearances on Wilson's rookie deal. The Eagles technically won their SB on Carson Wentz's rookie deal and his regular season momentum even if it was Nick Foles playing in the game.

Our best bet is either Hurts making the leap in development with a strong roster or another young draft pick TBD.

15 hours ago, EagleVA said:

He's probably 12-14th or so off the top of my head if I had to rank QB in the league. Not a guy you throw a ton of money at for multiple years. If he wants to come for a year or two I'm all about it, but pasts that I would not give him a long term contract.

No thanks.  He is not worth the massive Salary cap hit it will take.  Focus on cheap QB and build around them until you 100% hit on a sure fire franchise player.