Treylon Burks (Arkansas WR) -- DRAFTED BY TENNESSEE #18

Ray75

Drummond will be a 25-year old rookie, so there might be some concern about upside and that he hasn't done much work without a free release from the slot or developed into a better route runner.  He isn't bigger/faster/more talented than Burks, but in the short-term he could fill a similar role as a big slot.  He's a Day 3 player - if he didn't have some warts he wouldn't be available late.

Sounds like limited speed, which not a surprise, but route running wasn't as crisp. He played a lot of slot in college, but not sure how much lateral quickness he really has.

The biggest question surrounding Burks is his route-running ability, and on vertical routes, he showed straight-line speed. But the raw aspect of his game was clear when he was asked to run the out and corner routes. The details of route running will likely be a challenge for him during the early portions of his career, and it's a large reason he must be paired with a creative offensive coordinator in order to utilize all the departments of his skill set

No sold on him. Did well with the 50/50 balls but he rarely creates separation. Arkansas did well scheming him open. I generally do not like WRs that check these boxes because MOST (not all) of the time they end up being average to below average WRs. 

Especially with Hurts at QB we need WRs that can get open by creating the separation. Hurts has rarely thrown WRs open this season so guys like this won’t really help us out. We already have enough WRs on this roster that need to be schemed open

19 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

No sold on him. Did well with the 50/50 balls but he rarely creates separation. Arkansas did well scheming him open. I generally do not like WRs that check these boxes because MOST (not all) of the time they end up being average to below average WRs. 

Especially with Hurts at QB we need WRs that can get open by creating the separation. Hurts has rarely thrown WRs open this season so guys like this won’t really help us out. We already have enough WRs on this roster that need to be schemed open

He checks the box on size though. But hopefully we will bring in a vet FA for that role.

He hunts wild hogs using only a knife…. And that’s not some Chuck Norris kinda joking around… he takes his hunting dogs, a pair of gloves, and a knife, and hunts feral hogs/boars.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Mr-Bueno said:

He hunts wild hogs using only a knife…. And that’s not some Chuck Norris kinda joking around… he takes his hunting dogs, a pair of gloves, and a knife, and hunts feral hogs/boars.

Didn't someone in Game of Thrones die doing that?

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, judunno said:

He was drugged and drunk, but yes.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/15/2022 at 4:38 AM, judunno said:

On 3/16/2022 at 1:41 AM, ilikepargo said:

He was drugged and drunk, but yes.

Drugged, drunk and pretty fat.

• Like 1

My Draft nightmare: Olave, Burks and Wilson sitting right there and Howie ends up taking an injured OL or a WR from the pac-12 projected to go in the 3rd round. 

On 4/7/2022 at 6:04 AM, Walkdawalk said:

My Draft nightmare: Olave, Burks and Wilson sitting right there and Howie ends up taking an injured OL or a WR from the pac-12 projected to go in the 3rd round. 

I guess I'm not overly attached to any of the top WRs, but given the salaries being thrown around in FA grabbing one makes sense long-term.  As I said earlier, Burks is nice fit in this offense as a big slot - back of the 1st is really good value.

image.png.95cadda4c32ab45b25cea763210ecf51.png

I heard this week that Burks does not get any separation at the college level... That is going to be an issue for him in the NFL. 

Nothing against Burks.  IF we're going WR with one of our picks, I guess he's the one I'd prefer.  But I'd really rather look toward DB in the 1st.  And Burks will likely be gone before we pick in the 2nd.

19 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I heard this week that Burks does not get any separation at the college level... That is going to be an issue for him in the NFL. 

"Excels at making contested catches."  Sound familiar?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, time2rock said:

"Excels at making contested catches."  Sound familiar?  

Absolutely. Look if he isn't getting separation at the college level then I'm really having doubts. 

• Like 2

I keep hearing Burks compared to AJ Brown, but Brown doesn’t seem to struggle with separation. Burks seems to be a better RAC guy or manufactured end around type of player. At 6’2 and 220 lbs I would only want to pick him if I thought he could be a Deebo Samuel type player, and if he can’t replicate that or our offense wouldn’t utilize him that way… I’d rather have someone else.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MidMoFo said:

I keep hearing Burks compared to AJ Brown, but Brown doesn’t seem to struggle with separation. Burks seems to be a better RAC guy or manufactured end around type of player. At 6’2 and 220 lbs I would only want to pick him if I thought he could be a Deebo Samuel type player, and if he can’t replicate that or our offense wouldn’t utilize him that way… I’d rather have someone else.

And whilst having a Deebo type player would be a lot of fun I'm not sure that's who we should be targeting in the first round. Deebo is a special player. 

• Like 1

I really think people are overthinking Burks. Dominated the SEC with basically Hurts at QB. He's a perfect compliment to Smitty and could really help Hurts with his catch radius and RAC skills. Would love to have him, especially if it's after a trade back. 

1 hour ago, KDUB1510 said:

I really think people are overthinking Burks. Dominated the SEC with basically Hurts at QB. He's a perfect compliment to Smitty and could really help Hurts with his catch radius and RAC skills. Would love to have him, especially if it's after a trade back. 

See I'm not sure... I think he's more of a gadget type player like Deebo. A hell of a weapon if used right but that's the risk. 

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

See I'm not sure... I think he's more of a gadget type player like Deebo. A hell of a weapon if used right but that's the risk. 

I dont see the Deebo comps tbh. He's more AJ Brown IMO. Arkansas doesnt exactly have a bunch of firepower offensively or a top QB so they used their best player in a variety of different ways. I dont see that much risk with him. He doesnt really have any glaring weaknesses. Maybe he's not the greatest route runner but thats what you have DeVonta Smith for. I honestly dont want another WR in the first rd but if we have to take one, im fine with Burks, Williams, Wilson, Pickens, Olave or London in that order. 

He would help Hurts just because of his height. Just go back to playoff game and watch an interception thrown by Hurts where a he did a jump pass, it was an awful throw and the jump was likely to see over the line. 
 I get the Watson love but it’s going to be a big jump for him, going from FCS to the NFL, plus he drops a lot of passes, something Reagor and Agholor still have trouble with. 
 Burks and Hamilton (Safety) at least ran the 40, London knows he’s not quicker than a 4.5 or he would if ran it at his pro day. 
 Receivers with Burks size that are good route runners in the NFL end up in the HOF, those guys can’t stop and turn on a dime like Smith can, or even Olave.  It took Megatron a few years to become a decent route runner but it’s not like he was on Rice’s level, and while Rice was big guy, he wasn’t fast. 

50 minutes ago, The Blackfish said:

Just go back to playoff game and watch an interception thrown by Hurts where a he did a jump pass, it was an awful throw and the jump was likely to see over the line. 

Clean pocket. Starts to bail for absolutely no reason. Throws up a duck. Pick. Quez should've had atleast 150 yards & 2 TD's this game but lets draft another WR in the 1st round to help QB1 refrain from abandoning clean pockets. 

• Like 1