Week 18: Chargers @ Raiders

AlpineEagle

they are division rivals so I doubt either is interested in helping the other out so they both make the playoffs. They're both going to want to win

If the Chargers Win Play the Bills in Buffalo

If the Raiders Win Play the Bengals in Cincinnati

2 hours ago, AlpineEagle said:

If the Chargers Win Play the Bills in Buffalo

If the Raiders Win Play the Bengals in Cincinnati

If they tie, who do they play?

5 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

If they tie, who do they play?

Chargers play Bills; Raiders play Chiefs. If Steelers go to playoffs, they play Chiefs.

10 minutes ago, gameshowfan91 said:

Chargers play Bills; Raiders play Chiefs. If Steelers go to playoffs, they play Chiefs.

Of course, none of this effects us (until February!), so I'll go with wanting the unusual to happen, and have them tie lol. 

I’d be annoyed if I was a Raiders fan.  No better result could come from kicking the FG than letting the time run down.

That timeout was stupid. i think raiders hc was going to just keep running it out. 

1 minute ago, RPeeteRules said:

I’d be annoyed if I was a Raiders fan.  No better result could come from kicking the FG than letting the time run down.

Raiders won. Wouldn't that be a better result than a tie?

5 minutes ago, vaff said:

Dammit, I wanted a tie.

Yeah me too.

As a neutral fan, we all deserved to see a bit of Herbert in the playoffs. Kids insane.

We instead now get to hear more about Big Ben 🤮

1 minute ago, What The F said:

That timeout was stupid. i think raiders hc was going to just keep running it out. 

They took the timeout with 3 or 4 secs left on the play clock. Had no impact on game. What they needed to do was stop Jacobs earlier to make the decision of going for the FG a little tougher. In that case Raiders may have just let the time tick off.

Just now, gameshowfan91 said:

Raiders won. Wouldn't that be a better result than a tie?

The FG attempt could’ve resulted in a block and TD return for Chargers, knocking the Raiders out of the playoffs.  While the chance is slim that it could’ve happened, the chance of making the playoffs from letting the time expire was 100%.  I like 100% over anything less than 100%.

Imagine if Steelers beat Raiders in AFCCG. This big win would come back to haunt Raiders.

22 minutes ago, kiwieagle said:

They took the timeout with 3 or 4 secs left on the play clock. Had no impact on game. What they needed to do was stop Jacobs earlier to make the decision of going for the FG a little tougher. In that case Raiders may have just let the time tick off.

I think he meant the Chargers' timeout

4 minutes ago, xzmattzx said:

I think he meant the Chargers' timeout

Yep, I know. That’s the one I’m talking about as well.

Raiders ran their 2nd down play with 1.20 left. The timeout from chargers only came at 0.38 - both coaches had already let nearly the full play clock run down. Either way Raiders run a play and then kick the FG. He called the TO to get the best defence called because they needed to stuff that 3rd down run to force the toe but then they still couldn’t stop him. 

15 minutes ago, kiwieagle said:

Yep, I know. That’s the one I’m talking about as well.

Raiders ran their 2nd down play with 1.20 left. The timeout from chargers only came at 0.38 - both coaches had already let nearly the full play clock run down. Either way Raiders run a play and then kick the FG. He called the TO to get the best defence called because they needed to stuff that 3rd down run to force the toe but then they still couldn’t stop him. 

Sorry, I misread play clock as game clock.

That was the weirdest ending to a game ever. You can tell that the Raiders were okay with letting the game end in a tie because they started bleeding off the clock when they weren't even in a realistic FG range yet.

If the Chargers were deadset on getting the ball back then they call a TO on 3rd down before the play clock runs down and lose 35 seconds. Then if they stopped the Raiders on 3rd and call their final TO then there's still about a minute left on the clock and the Raiders are potentially trying a 55-60 yard FG or punting.

The whole series of events makes no sense from the Chargers perspective. Obviously them giving up a 1st on an obvious run play is bad which makes the whole situation moot but the whole thing was just weird from the start. 

I'm still not sure what the Chargers were doing and thinking? Did they think they had some silent agreement with LV to end in a tie? But if you're the Raiders why would you do that? They are division rivals so surely you want to put them out if you can? Plus surely you'd rather the Steelers in the play offs than the Chargers? I mean the Steelers really are not good. The Chargers are, in my opinion, a better team right now. 

Brandon Staley, biggest mis-use of a timeout ever since Chris Webber tried to call one in the 1993 Men's Basketball National Championship

Archived