Week 18: Chargers @ Raiders

AlpineEagle

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'm still not sure what the Chargers were doing and thinking? Did they think they had some silent agreement with LV to end in a tie? But if you're the Raiders why would you do that? They are division rivals so surely you want to put them out if you can? Plus surely you'd rather the Steelers in the play offs than the Chargers? I mean the Steelers really are not good. The Chargers are, in my opinion, a better team right now. 

Raiders priority was not to lose, but winning if they could was more preferable to a tie. In both scenarios they make the playoffs but the win got them a better seeding and a better playoff match-up (Bengals vs Chiefs).

Chargers knew this - win or tie made no difference to them. But they absolutely needed to stuff the 2nd and 3rd down runs from the Raiders. The timeout Staley called is a red herring (despite Chris Collinsworth being confused about it). It had zero implication on the number of plays the Raiders got to run and was simply done to give them the best chance of getting that 3rd down stuff - that's why he took it after less than 40 seconds were left on game clock. The chargers lost because they suck at run defence, not because of the timeout.

Archived