Alshon Jeffery expected to be a "major part" of the Philadelphia Eagles offense in 2020

Procus

https://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/2020/05/04/eagles-alshon-jeffery-major-part-lisfranc/

Alshon Jeffery expected to be a "major part" of the Philadelphia Eagles offense in 2020

alshon-jeffery-major-role-eagles-offense.jpg?w=779&h=467&crop=1
12 hours ago

The whispers have been loud all offseason long but the demise of Alshon Jeffery in Philadelphia appears to have been greatly exaggerated.

As the Eagles star, wide receiver rehabs his Lisfranc injury that ended his 2019 season, Dave Spadaro of the teams’ official website provided an update on the status of the former South Carolina Gamecocks legend.

As Spadaro is reporting and the writing has been on the wall for some time now, Jeffery isn’t going anywhere and will play a major role on offense this upcoming season.

The plan is for Alshon Jeffery to be a major part of the offense as he recovers from his Lisfranc injury. He has to complete his rehab, of course, and Jeffery is in the course of doing so. The Eagles have made sure this offseason to get the word out that Jeffery is being counted on and Roseman has had conversations to that extent with having No. 17 in the picture. A healthy and fully focused and hungry Jeffery would be a huge boost for the offense

.Jeffery can be dominant when he’s on and his presence in the red zone would make the Eagles that much more difficult to defend.

Injury-riddled and just not himself this season, Jeffery snagged 43 balls for 490 yards and four touchdowns in 10 games.

Jeffery is due a guaranteed $11.5 million next season after restructuring his contract last fall and will spend the bulk of the offseason and training camp recovering from the Lisfranc surgery on his foot.

Yeah this is what I’ve been saying all along.

The internal issues with Alshon have been way overblown by idiots like Frank and BLG.

This team is better with Alshon starting. I hope he gets healthy as quickly as possible.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2020 at 9:06 AM, ManchesterEagle said:

Yeah this is what I’ve been saying all along.

The internal issues with Alshon have been way overblown by idiots like Frank and BLG.

This team is better with Alshon starting. I hope he gets healthy as quickly as possible.

Problem is he’s never healthy. He had the super bowl season and even then was injured through most of it. Kudos to him for battling through and being productive anyway. That said, it’s hard to rely on him to be a big part of the offense when his career has shown that he is more likely than not to miss time with injury. Not to mention lisfranc is a loooong recovery. I’d be surprised if he’s healthy and in game shape before December. 

I hope this is just the team trying to increase Jeffrey's trade value or quieten down any rumours so they can focus on other matters. They simply can't make Jeffrey a key part of their plans going forwards. 

38 minutes ago, nipples said:

Problem is he’s never healthy. He had the super bowl season and even then was injured through most of it. Kudos to him for battling through and being productive anyway. That said, it’s hard to rely on him to be a big part of the offense when his career has shown that he is more likely than not to miss time with injury. Not to mention lisfranc is a loooong recovery. I’d be surprised if he’s healthy and in game shape before December. 

20 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I hope this is just the team trying to increase Jeffrey's trade value or quieten down any rumours so they can focus on other matters. They simply can't make Jeffrey a key part of their plans going forwards. 

Wentz has missed more time than Jeffery since he’s been here.

• Like 1

If things go well and the new receivers are dependable, then Jackson and Jeffrey will be effective with limited play time......the eagles may really go to a WR by committee. It would be great to have 5-6 effective WRs......

Jeffrey won't be what he used to be but can certainly play an effective role within the offense.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, birdman#12 said:

If things go well and the new receivers are dependable, then Jackson and Jeffrey will be effective with limited play time......the eagles may really go to a WR by committee. It would be great to have 5-6 effective WRs......

Jeffrey won't be what he used to be but can certainly play an effective role within the offense.

Exactly on all.  I don't understand how a lot of people don't get that.  

Great another year of leaks, Carson's character assassinations, and drama.

1 hour ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Again though for me it's not about the injury or injuries. 

1 hour ago, birdman#12 said:

45 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I think for a long time the Eagles have been doing a limited WR rotation as you say. Alshon tends to play 75%/80% of snaps in games.

At the moment, Desean and Alshon are our best WRs. They should be starting when they are healthy. The younger WRs can develop behind them, play some snaps (Reagor I suspect will get snaps in both the slot and at the Z). The hope is that if Alshon isn't ready or Desean gets hurt, we are in a better position than last year, when Ward was the only remotely effective wide out once Alshon went down. If the younger guys develop and beat them out, then great, but that might be difficult with the limited off-season.

You add in what is probably the best TE tandem in the league, a really good O-Line and a really dynamic pass catching back in Sanders and I think we are in good shape.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

Well, around here, once a player gets hurt, he is no longer dependable.....if he gets hurt twice, he is no longer valuable.

OR if he's 30 and over, he should be let go...

It's the same old thing with many eagles fans......eagle players are not as good, not as valuable, will never recover from injury and young players never develop.  It's ridiculous.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Ok? One is your franchise QB that you’re invested in, the other is a WR that is much more easily replaced. 

Actually I did the math, and Alshon has missed slightly more time than Carson since he’s been here.  Wentz has missed 14 out of a possible 70 games, if you want to count being knocked out in the first quarter of the playoff game as missing one. That’s 20% of his possible games missed. 

Alshon has missed 11 of 54 possible games, and yes that is counting leaving after one drive against Atlanta last year. So that’s 20.3%. If you want to add in his injury history for his whole career, instead of just as an Eagle, then the numbers are likely even more skewed toward him missing more time than Carson. 

He will have a major part on the offense while hes on IR. He could hold the Microsoft tablets, make sure they are charged and ready to go. Refill the Gatorade. Plenty of ways he can contribute. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

He will have a major part on the offense while hes on IR. He could hold the Microsoft tablets, make sure they are charged and ready to go. Refill the Gatorade. Plenty of ways he can contribute. 

He'd contribute more that way than being on the field to be fair...

😉

1 - They couldn't find a trade partner.

2 - They targeted receivers in the draft that are similar to Jeffery's skill set but couldn't get them.

It's time he pays us back for not roasting him when he dropped the ball in New Orleans.

1 hour ago, matchew88 said:

It's time he pays us back for not roasting him when he dropped the ball in New Orleans.

He received a ton of support from fans after that too. It's messed up how this happened after fans took him in

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

He received a ton of support from fans after that too. It's messed up how this happened after fans took him in

Selfish individual who's out for themselves. He wants the offense to go through him. 

We still don't know the validity of the "rumor" or if Jeffery was the "snitch." Even if he did say some things to a confidant --- they really weren't anything more than an opinion and hardly worthy of all the press and ill-will that resulted. Media and fans have been making one of the biggest deals of one of the smallest things that happened last year. 

If you really think about what was said:

‘We need to make [crap] simpler. Sometimes we just need to handle what is manageable.’ They said, ‘Even Peyton Manning knew when to check it down.’

Is this really even a criticism of the QB here? It's a criticism of the play-calling or offensive philosophy and/or it's a criticism of the replacement WRs that were a non factor or struggling. Even a HOF QB knew when to check it down ... BURN!!!

People need to get over this. Jeffery should have time to heal and be ready at the beginning of the season as expected. He knows the offense and Wentz knows him. If he steps on the field, the Eagles should be in good shape at that position. You can argue Jeffery is overpaid, but there isn't much that can be done about that and we still have room to make moves under the cap. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

We still don't know the validity of the "rumor" or if Jeffery was the "snitch." Even if he did say some things to a confidant --- they really weren't anything more than an opinion and hardly worthy of all the press and ill-will that resulted. Media and fans have been making one of the biggest deals of one of the smallest things that happened last year. 

If you really think about what was said:

‘We need to make [crap] simpler. Sometimes we just need to handle what is manageable.’ They said, ‘Even Peyton Manning knew when to check it down.’

Is this really even a criticism of the QB here? It's a criticism of the play-calling or offensive philosophy and/or it's a criticism of the replacement WRs that were a non factor or struggling. Even a HOF QB knew when to check it down ... BURN!!!

People need to get over this. Jeffery should have time to heal and be ready at the beginning of the season as expected. He knows the offense and Wentz knows him. If he steps on the field, the Eagles should be in good shape at that position. You can argue Jeffery is overpaid, but there isn't much that can be done about that and we still have room to make moves under the cap. 

He has pins or screws in both feet. He’s not playing this season

7 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

He has pins or screws in both feet. He’s not playing this season

lol

He'll be ready when the season begins. Just because something happens to an Eagles player doesn't mean it will take longer than normal to heal or be career ending. But I realize you're choosing instead to believe someone that knows someone that knows the doctor and that doctor is unprofessionally just blabbing to everyone while breaking his doctor-patient confidentiality. Yeah ...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

lol

He'll be ready when the season begins. Just because something happens to an Eagles player doesn't mean it will take longer than normal to heal or be career ending. But I realize you're choosing instead to believe someone that knows someone that knows the doctor and that doctor is unprofessionally just blabbing to everyone while breaking his doctor-patient confidentiality. Yeah ...

A little shorter. Someone who knows his uncle is on here and has been saying for awhile now that the family doesn't expect him to play because he has pins or screws in both feet

1 minute ago, Mike030270 said:

A little shorter. Someone who knows his uncle is on here and has been saying for awhile now that the family doesn't expect him to play because he has pins or screws in both feet

I wonder why the Eagles expect him to play. I guess they didn't hear the bad news?

Just now, brkmsn said:

I wonder why the Eagles expect him to play. I guess they didn't hear the bad news?

They are never give the details about injuries and always act the player with be ready the next day. It's actually really annoying. They do it in the season for a competitive advantage that I really don't think is that big and they do it in the offseason when there's no competitive advantage

During the season, they use terms like day to day or week to week which gives us an idea of what to expect. Here, there is no reason to. The procedure was done and there's time to recover. Pessimism is the only justification for believing he's somehow worse than reported or behind schedule healing. Other than that, there's no actually justification for it at this time. There hasn't been any reports suggesting what you choose to believe. This "uncle" hasn't been in the news.