Was it Better to Be Embarrassed?

time2rock

14 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

I hear ya, I guess compared to NE/PIT we did slightly better, but yeah, nothing to brag about.

Hard to say, the Eagles didn’t score or really even move the ball that well until they were down 31-0.  The score makes it look better than it was.  It was awful.  

They did get an additional week of practice and so forth for a game NO ONE realistically expected them to be playing in AT ALL this season:

This may be a situation where they actually are an improved team next season but have a worse record as the Eagles did get a huge scheduling break with a lot of easy games late.

• Like 2

Just now, Wallyhorse said:

They did get an additional week of practice and so forth for a game NO ONE realistically expected them to be playing in AT ALL this season:

This may be a situation where they actually are an improved team next season but have a worse record as the Eagles did get a huge scheduling break with a lot of easy games late.

I can certainly see that and hey I think I'd be OK with that. I'd be OK with seeing some progress on the field and picking up some Ws against good teams. This team is so far from being a contender. What we need to see is progress and foundations. 

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah agreed. There was nothing to take away from this game from a positive. I guess Gainwell played well later in the game so he looks promising? Other than that there was nothing. Hurts was bad, the OL looked to me like it struggled, they didn't use Smith until it was too late. 

Speaking of that the OL seems to struggle when Opeta is in it. So we are good with Brooks, Seumalo, Driscoll and Herbig there but when it gets past that we are in trouble. Which doesn’t sound too bad thinking of it..

7 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

New innovative running the ball every down!! Who would stop it? Only team that would stop it would be a team that built their team like they were before the forward pass was invented. You fools!! 

It is entirely true that if a team fills their defense with coverage corners a big and fast team should be able to run on them.

You seem like a person who really doesn't have any understanding of how football worked even 40 years ago.   Most teams had a fullback and a running back on the field at the same time.  Most teams ran more often than they threw.   Defenses had big MLBs, ILBs.   This was the 70s and 80s.  Also the 60s and before.

The Eagles went 9-8 in the regular season,  because running.  Playoffs, because running.  5 more wins,  because running.  

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I can certainly see that and hey I think I'd be OK with that. I'd be OK with seeing some progress on the field and picking up some Ws against good teams. This team is so far from being a contender. What we need to see is progress and foundations. 

All the team that make the playoffs are contenders.  Any Given Sunday.

The Eagles got there.

The Eagles spent a lot of picks and players to get to the #2 pick.
They take Wentz.   Wentz has a good regular season, gets hurt, and the backup QB wins the Super Bowl.

Tell me how things work again?  With a backup,  the Eagles should not be seen as contenders.   But they won.  Any Given Sunday.

Lol, the Eagles were in because the league wanted more revenue from an extra playoff team. They were not real Super Bowl contenders and the game and season proved it. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

I looked at the schedule this and next year.

Next year The Eagles have 6 games against teams that made the playoffs.
This year The Eagles had 6 games against teams that made the playoffs.

Instead of Chiefs + Raiders in the AFC West,  it's Titans in the AFC South - one fewer playoff team next year.

Instead of 9ers, it's Cardinals and Steelers - one more playoff team next year.

And Packers instead of Bucs.

2 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Lol, the Eagles were in because the league wanted more revenue from an extra playoff team. They were not real Super Bowl contenders and the game and season proved it. 

Every playoff team is a contender.  Any Given Sunday.  Nick Foles, backup, won the Super Bowl.

This year, I predict that 13 teams who made the playoffs will fail to win the Super Bowl.

I'm not sure exactly what makes them "contenders".  The theoretical ability to win 4 games and then the Super Bowl makes them contenders.   It is impossible for a team that doesn't make the playoffs to win the Super Bowl.  Teams that don't make the playoffs are not contenders.  Teams that do make the playoffs could win 4 games and the Super Bowl.  Those teams are contenders. 

42 minutes ago, Random Reglar said:

Every playoff team is a contender.  Any Given Sunday.  Nick Foles, backup, won the Super Bowl.

This year, I predict that 13 teams who made the playoffs will fail to win the Super Bowl.

I'm not sure exactly what makes them "contenders".  The theoretical ability to win 4 games and then the Super Bowl makes them contenders.   It is impossible for a team that doesn't make the playoffs to win the Super Bowl.  Teams that don't make the playoffs are not contenders.  Teams that do make the playoffs could win 4 games and the Super Bowl.  Those teams are contenders. 

Give me a moment here. I need to mark off false equivalence on my logical fallacy bingo card. 

Nick Foles took over a team that was already the best in the league. Jalen Hurts guided us to the newest seed added to help the league make more money. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, EagleMatt said:

Was expecting a closer game but i definitely felt better about the score vs having 0 pts for.

I view at least 8 of the 15 points as mercy points. The competitive (if you wish to call it that) portion of the game ended at the end of the 3rd quarter, score 31-0.

• Like 1

For the organization, I'm not sure of any benefits from taking an ass whipping like that, but I am sure that they weren't surprised by the result.  There is far too much experience and depth there to be fooled.  I suspect that they already had a plan to move forward before kickoff.

For the EMB, it was good that it ended with a THUD.  Enough was enough of the chest thumping about Fool's Gold.  It was clear yesterday that we got there by beating bad teams with a one dimensional offense and our weakness was shown for all to see.  We should just thank Washington and New York for having such bad teams and an expanded playoff format for the extra game and move one.

For me, I got nothing out of the beating.  I am just thankful for the extra game that I never saw coming even down the stretch.  However, I am glad this season is over.  It felt like too much of an experiment with a place holder at QB with no real hope of sustained growth or success.  Parts of it were fun, but most of it was difficult to watch.   

Now, on to 2022....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Infam said:

Speaking of that the OL seems to struggle when Opeta is in it. So we are good with Brooks, Seumalo, Driscoll and Herbig there but when it gets past that we are in trouble. Which doesn’t sound too bad thinking of it..

Yeah I was thinking that when reading your post bud. If you are down to your 4th option at RG then things are really bad and you would expect to struggle. But look Driscoll has had issues staying healthy and Brooks may not be back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Random Reglar said:

All the team that make the playoffs are contenders.  Any Given Sunday.

The Eagles got there.

The Eagles spent a lot of picks and players to get to the #2 pick.
They take Wentz.   Wentz has a good regular season, gets hurt, and the backup QB wins the Super Bowl.

Tell me how things work again?  With a backup,  the Eagles should not be seen as contenders.   But they won.  Any Given Sunday.

Yeah any given Sunday sure. But guess what? That was a very talented roster. And what I'm talking about is building a roster to be contenders every year. The Eagles were not a legit contender this year. They had a chance going in to the game yesterday but they weren't contenders. And that's OK because we know this roster is not good. 

21 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah I was thinking that when reading your post bud. If you are down to your 4th option at RG then things are really bad and you would expect to struggle. But look Driscoll has had issues staying healthy and Brooks may not be back.

Absolutely. I’m all for drafting another OL, just saying it’s still our biggest strength.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Infam said:

Absolutely. I’m all for drafting another OL, just saying it’s still our biggest strength.

Oh yeah for sure it is. And look we could do with some depth at RG so I think draft a mid to late round guy. We know how good Stoutland is. 

6 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

True but again the game was never really as close as the scoreboard suggests. Ok sure in a few months and years nobody will look at the score and say oh yeah that was embarrassing. But it was. It was very embarrassing how far off this team is. 

it could have been closed number of times we just either got screwed by the refs.... roughing the passer first drive( a 3 and out probably sets a completely different tone) and that piss poor holding call on kelce... though we did overcome that if we are already down to the 30 maybe hurts doesn’t throw that int and we get some points before half to make it a game. 

15 minutes ago, Cheesteakitis said:

it could have been closed number of times we just either got screwed by the refs.... roughing the passer first drive( a 3 and out probably sets a completely different tone) and that piss poor holding call on kelce... though we did overcome that if we are already down to the 30 maybe hurts doesn’t throw that int and we get some points before half to make it a game. 

I agree with this sentiment. 31-0 is what happens when the superior team gets turnovers and all the breaks.

2 hours ago, Random Reglar said:

I looked at the schedule this and next year.

Next year The Eagles have 6 games against teams that made the playoffs.
This year The Eagles had 6 games against teams that made the playoffs.

Instead of Chiefs + Raiders in the AFC West,  it's Titans in the AFC South - one fewer playoff team next year.

Instead of 9ers, it's Cardinals and Steelers - one more playoff team next year.

And Packers instead of Bucs.

this also goes for the people saying we only made the playoffs because the nfl wanted more money but we had to win those games to have a good enough record we didn’t magically back into a playoff spot like the steelers!

they only made it because the tied the lions and then wentz and the colts imploded and lost like 3 of the last 4 games.. 

so while maybe we weren’t good enough to make the playoffs i don’t think we were the worst playoff team.. the steelers likely have a qb who is retiring, the raiders didn’t have a coach for half the year and could end up without carr at qb.

49ers probably move on to trey lance 

rodgers and/or brady could retire if they win the super bowl. atleast we have a young half decent qb who is signed for a few years. what most of those other teams have over us is a better defense and some better skill position players. 

39 minutes ago, Cheesteakitis said:

I mean look the officials didn't have a great game but I can't blame them for the loss. We sucked yesterday and that was the real issue. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, time2rock said:

Obviously best case would have been a W today.  But with that not being in the cards, is it better that we lost in embarrassing fashion?  I wonder if that will force them to take a harder look at just where this team stacks up compared to the better teams in the league and not delude themselves into thinking we’re closer than we really are just because we made the playoffs.  

Honestly yes I think it was. Hopefully Howie and the FO see that this team isn’t just one piece away from anything. They have a lot of work to do, and if they foolishly think they’re just one player away from changing this thing they’re going to find themselves cap strapped, stuck in mediocrity, and with an overpriced aging quarterback. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

That and we have Washington and NY in our division.  The perfect storm.

• Like 1

Just now, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

That and we have Washington and NY in our division.  The perfect storm.

They helped, but so too did having the Jets as our extra game this year.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2022 at 5:52 AM, EagleJoe8 said:

Somewhat supports the argument those were making in hoping for better draft position than making the postseason, knowing we were going to get smoked in round 1.  Had we made it competitive then perhaps the experience may have been beneficial for the young players.  Not sure the experience from getting their arses handed to them was beneficial in any way and now drafting 19 instead of 12 (had we only had one additional loss).  

• Like 1