It's Dougie in Jacksonville

Procus

Great choice by the Jags to help develop Trevor Lawrence.  Good luck to DP.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33212063/jacksonville-jaguars-hiring-doug-pederson-head-coach

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Doug Pederson, who won a Super Bowl with Philadelphia, is being hired as the new head coach of the Jacksonville Jaguars, a league source told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

The hiring ends a search that began 49 days after the team fired Urban Meyer and 35 days after Pederson first interviewed with the Jaguars.

Pederson went 42-31-1 and made three playoff appearances in five seasons in Philadelphia (2016-20). The Eagles drafted Carson Wentz second overall and went 7-9 in Pederson's first season, but they went 13-3 in 2017, survived the loss of Wentz late in the season when Nick Foles got hot, and beat New England 41-33 in Super Bowl LII.

Pederson led the Eagles to two more playoff appearances in 2018 and 2019. Philadelphia went 4-11-1 in 2020 and Pederson, who benched Wentz at halftime of the team's Week 13 loss to Green Bay for rookie Jalen Hurts, was fired after the season.

Pederson spent the 2021 season out of football, but he was the first head coaching candidate the Jaguars interviewed. That was on Dec. 30 and the Jaguars brought him back for a second interview on Tuesday.

Pederson began his NFL coaching career with Philadelphia and spent two years as an offensive quality control coach (2009-10) and two as quarterbacks coach (2011-12). He followed head coach Andy Reid to Kansas City after Reid was fired following the 2012 season and spent three seasons as the Chiefs' offensive coordinator before being hired in 2016 to replace Chip Kelly in Philadelphia.

Pederson spent 10 years in the NFL mainly as a backup quarterback for Miami, Green Bay, Philadelphia and Cleveland, compiling a 3-14 record and completing 54.8 percent of his passes with 12 touchdowns and 19 interceptions.

The Jaguars interviewed nine other candidates: Jaguars interim head coach Darrell Bevell, Tampa Bay defensive coordinator Todd Bowles, Tampa Bay offensive coordinator Byron Leftwich, Green Bay offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett, Indianapolis defensive coordinator Matt Eberflus, former Indianapolis and Detroit head coach Jim Caldwell, Dallas offensive coordinator Kellen Moore, former Las Vegas interim head coach Rich Bisaccia, and Alabama offensive coordinator and former Houston head coach Bill O'Brien.

Denver hired Hackett and Chicago hired Eberflus, both of whom also got second interviews with the Jaguars, as did Leftwich.

Pederson replaces Meyer, whom the Jaguars fired with cause just before 1 a.m. ET on Dec. 16 because he went 2-11 and committed a string of embarrassing missteps that included two viral videos of him behaving inappropriately in a restaurant/bar with a woman who wasn't his wife, reports of him berating his assistant coaches, and trying to hire a strength coach who was accused of making racist remarks and bullying Black players at Iowa.

The Jaguars have had just one winning season since 2007 and have lost 10 or more games in 10 of the last 11 seasons. The Jaguars finished 3-14 in 2021 and have the first pick in the NFL Draft again in 2022. Their combined record in the past two seasons is 4-29, which included a 20-game losing streak that is the second-longest in NFL history.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Mortimer said:

He certainly has his work cut out for him.  What a mess.

Well, if Trevor Lawrence is the real deal, he's got a great building block for the team.

• Like 3

I hope the best for Dougie p I always will be a little miffed that Jeff got rid of him a few years after winning the Super Bowl. I truly thought after winning the Super Bowl he'd be here at least for 20 years lol. I understand some of the reasons why he's left go but glad to see he has another opportunity hope it works out for him

Surprised only because Byron Leftwich actually has ties to Jacksonville from when he played there.

Doug seems like the logical fit there. 

33 minutes ago, Wallyhorse said:

Surprised only because Byron Leftwich actually has ties to Jacksonville from when he played there.

Doug seems like the logical fit there. 

Leftwich wanted Gm replaced and kahn wouldn’t so he withdrew candidacy

Good luck to Dougie P. Not sure it's the best franchise for him to return back to after a year out but glad to see him back. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Good luck to Dougie P. Not sure it's the best franchise for him to return back to after a year out but glad to see him back. 

That's my concern too. On the upside Khan doesn't have a reputation for micromanaging which should be a pleasant change. If Doug isn't able to turn that franchise into something respectable I imagine that will be the end of his head coaching opportunities.

35 minutes ago, flyerdog said:

Super Bowl 60...?

Doug and Trevor Lawrence 

vs

Nick Sirianni and whomever the backup QB might be

FYP

good luck doug and #TAKECOMMAND

12 hours ago, Procus said:

Well, if Trevor Lawrence is the real deal, he's got a great building block for the team.

I don’t think he is, but hope for Doug’s sake that I’m wrong. I was saying well before the draft that something about Lawrence just screams "bust” to me. 

Good luck to Doug!

Hopefully his playcalling got better with the year off

Has the names of his staff been released yet?

19 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

He has the young QB to develop so that's a start. Good luck Doug!

hi i'm interested in purchasing a promising QB, can i visit your factory ?
certainly sir, which location are you nearest ?!

uh....i'm in georgia

Georgia ?! What a wonderful state ! Let me transfer you directly to our QB Factory southern division!

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

He took the Eagles job nobody wanted and now he takes the Jax job nobody wanted.  Show 'em again Doug.

I'm looking up Kz

30 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

He took the Eagles job nobody wanted and now he takes the Jax job nobody wanted.  Show 'em again Doug.

Prior to Doug, we had Chip who went 10-6, 10-6, and 7-9.  How is that a job "nobody wanted"?

Just now, paco said:

Prior to Doug, we had Chip who went 10-6, 10-6, and 7-9.  How is that a job "nobody wanted"?

You don't remember that search?  Wasn't that long ago.  We "settled" for Doug.  All the hot names went elsewhere.

• Like 1