February mock & off-season

Rob331

This is the time of year I realize how fruitless our mocks are. Free agency, the combine, and pro days will really shape our thinking over the next 6 weeks. That being said, we (or at least I) do it because it's fun - so here goes. 

The Eagles have more needs than draft picks. 10 picks but they need 2 DE's (Barnett and Kerrigan), 2 S's (McLoud and Harris) , a DT (Ridgeway), a CB (Nelson), a LB (Avery), a RB (Howard), and a WR (JJAW).

Then there's the "maybe we needs". Punter comes to mind. Truth be told, they could use 2 corners since their backups are all has been's, won't be's and never were's. They might also need 2 RB's since Boston Scott is a restricted free agent who might not be retained. If they don't resign Singleton it's 2 LB's. 2 WR's are not out of the question. Then there's the elephant in the middle of the room - Kelce. 

They have $24M in cap space to re-sign Kelce, pay their draft picks, have contingency $'s for the season, and sign free agents. For purposes of this post I;m going to assume Howie continues to be a magician during free agency and gets a very helpful haul. 

Re-sign - Kelce, Singleton, Herbig, Opeta, Toth, Ward

Let Walk - Barnett, Kerrigan, McLoud, Harris, Ridgeway, Avery, Howard, and Scott

Cut - JJAW

Free agency -

• S Terrell Edmunds (Pit) - Pittsburgh has cap problems and Edmunds will be an athletic upgrade to McLoud.
  • LB Kwon Alexander (NO) - NO is $75M over the cap and can't keep him.
  • WR Michael Gallup (Dal) - Dallas too has cap issues and Gallup doesn't want to be #3. And, he gives Smith the vet presence he's asked for

Draft day trades. I'll be consistent. My previous mocks have Howie trading like never before. I still think he'll be doing that.

• Trade # 15 to Las Vegas for a 1 (pick 22) a 3 (pick 86) and a 2023 #3
  • Trade # 16 to Dallas for a 1 pick 24) and a 2 (pick 56)
  • Trade Dillard for a 3

The draft - 

• 1 (pick 16) S Daxton Hill, Michigan State. Finally, a young and athletic safety. 
  • 1 (pick 22) CB Trent McDuffie, Washington. A sub 4.5 corner to play opposite Slay. Hopefully we'll have better luck than with the last Washington corner we drafted
  • 1 (pick 24) DE/DT Trevon Walker, Georgia. Pencil him in for the outside but he can go inside too. Another Milton Williams.
  • 2 (pick 51) LB Brandon Smith, Penn State. Along with Kwon Alexander in free agency we've become athletic at linebacker for the first time in years. 
  • 2 (pick 56) RB Isaiah Spiller, Texas A&M. Not only a big back, but an accomplished one who can carry the load when Sanders gets injured. 
  • 3 (pick 83) DE Cameron Thomas, San Diego State. A 6'5" 270 replacement for Kerrigan. Think he can record more than 3 tackles in 300 plays to outdo Kerrigan
  • 3 (pick 86) WR Jalen Tolbert, South Alabama. 6'1" 4.45. He and Watkins will share snaps after starters Smith and Gallup. 
  • 3 (Dillard pick) TE Jeremy Ruckert, Ohio State. With Tyrell Jackson on the shelf we need another TE.  
  • 4 DT John Ridgeway, Arkansas. at 320 he's something we haven't had to plug up the middle in short yardage and obvious rim situations
  • 5 OT Obinna Eze, TCU. A big man at 6'7" 330. Stout does well coaching bug guys like Mailata, Johnson, Brooks, and Dickerson. 
  • 5 CB Tariq Woolen. A H-W-S pick 6'3" 4.47
  • 5 QB Aqeel, Alabama A&M. Tall, athletic and our next developmental project.  
  • 6 P Matt Araiza, San Diego State. 

So, let's compare our intake with our needs - 

• Barnett replaces with Walker
  • Kerrigan replaced with Thomas
  • McLoud replaced with Edmunds
  • Harris replaced with Hill
  • Avery replaced with Alexander
  • Ridgeway replaced by Ridgeway (just a coincidence)
  • McDuffie replaces Nelson
  • Spiller replaced Howard
  • Gallup replaced JJAW
  • Eze replaced Dillard
  • Araiza replaced Siposs
  • Tolbert replaces Ward
  • Ruckert replaces Jackson
  • Glass - replaces Sennett, maybe or goes tt the practice squad.

30 minutes ago, Rob331 said:
  • Trade # 16 to Dallas for a 1 pick 24) and a 2 (pick 56)

The draft - 

• 1 (pick 16) S Daxton Hill, Michigan State. Finally, a young and athletic safety. 
  •  

Did you mean 19 for Hill ??

31 minutes ago, Rob331 said:

5 CB Tariq Woolen. A H-W-S pick 6'3" 4.47

Flying up boards, will be a 3rd round pick

Hi Rob.

So you’re basically saying that trading down from 15 to 22 and 16 to 24 will net is a future first and a third and another future first and a second?! 

I’m sorry to hand it to you but that will never ever ever happen. By trading down from 15 to 22 or 16 to 24 you’ll receive a 2nd and maybe some change but that’s about it. If you want that future first for say 15 you have to be willing to trade down into the bottom of the first or out of the first entirely.

For example; if we want to trade up from 15 to 10, a second would even be a steep asking price. So why do you think any team would give up a future first and third for trading up from 22 to 15?! Not happening!

FA is fine, draft itself okay. Would be stunned if Howie uses his first pick on a safety. Eagles never picked a safety in the first plus IMO Hill isn’t worthy of the 19th pick. Doesn’t mean I don’t like the kid...

Agreed with my friend @downundermike that Woolen will likely not be available in the 5th. My guess is he’ll come off the board in that 3rd round area.

Thanks for the read! 👊🏻

9 hours ago, Ray75 said:

I’m sorry to hand it to you but that will never ever ever happen. By trading down from 15 to 22 or 16 to 24 you’ll receive a 2nd and maybe some change but that’s about it. If you want that future first for say 15 you have to be willing to trade down into the bottom of the first or out of the first entirely.

OK my friend - here are the facts. 

Ourlads value chart shows it like this - 

Pick 15 = 1050 points. Pick 22 = 780 and 86 = 160. That's 940 leaving a deficit for the Eagles of 110 points. You get a premuim in points when the trade is for a the next year and a mid-round 3rd is somewhere in the 160-215 range. 

I love it when you're wrong. LOL

You pal, Rob

44 minutes ago, Rob331 said:

OK my friend - here are the facts. 

Ourlads value chart shows it like this - 

Pick 15 = 1050 points. Pick 22 = 780 and 86 = 160. That's 940 leaving a deficit for the Eagles of 110 points. You get a premuim in points when the trade is for a the next year and a mid-round 3rd is somewhere in the 160-215 range. 

I love it when you're wrong. LOL

You pal, Rob

I get that but it’s not about right or wrong. LOL

You simply don’t give up that draft capital unless it’s for a top QB or a truly elite prospect.

If you’d have said the Lions want to trade up from 32 to 15 or 16 for a QB, I’d agree. They probably take an edge at No.2 and who knows? They might fall in love with one of those QB’s and are willing to trade up... 

But exactly for who would both the Cowboys and Raiders give up that much? They don’t need a QB and albeit any orher top prospect at another position still on the board at 15 or 16, we probably could use ourself.

Maybe the Raiders would love to trade up for a receiver like Burks, London or Wilson but are they truly willing to part with a future first and a second if in reality Olave and Williams likely will be in range at 24?