Eagles Mock Draft (02-27-22)

Ray75

Have given it a lot of thought lately and came to a couple of conclusions;

1) pass rusher is arguably the Eagles biggest need;

2) Whether you like Hurts or not, you don’t want to give up the farm for a veteran QB or use one of your first rounders this year on a QB;

3) it might be in the Eagles best interest to both stock the roster with talent this year and find a way to create enough draft capital for next year in case Hurts doesn’t pan out.

Bear with me; 

let’s assume they roll with Hurts and he proves to all of us he simply isn’t a longterm option. In that scenario you want to have enough draft capital to trade up into the top 5 for a QB. If the Eagles are stil a somewhat mediocre team cause of the QB play, they’ll again end up with a pick between 15 and 20. The question at that point will be; what will it take to trade up into the top 3-5?! According to multiple value charts at least 2 first rounders and probably a 2nd round pick depending on where the Eagles will pick in 2023.

Here we go;

Re-sign;

Jason Kelce (1 yr),, Nate Herbig, Rodney McCleod (1 yr)

Let walk;;

Brandon Brooks retired

Derek Barnett

New contract/restructure;

Darius Slay (cap savings; $10-12 million).

Javon Hargrave

Notable FA’s; 

Uchenna Nwosu, OLB, Chargers;

Zach Pascal, WR, Indianapolis Colts;

Jordan Whitehead, S, Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Draft;

Trade alert!

Eagles trade pick No.15, a 3rd and a 4rd in 2022 to the NY Jets for pick No.10.

1) Travon Walker, DE, Georgia;

1) Treylon Burks, WR, Arkansas;

Trade alert!

Eagles trade pick No.19 to the Detroit Lions for pick No.32, a 2nd in 2023 and 3rd in 2022.

1) Kyler Gordon, CB, Washington;

2) Chad Muma, LB, Oklahoma;

3) Kerby Joseph, S, Illinois;

5) Cole Turner, TE, Nevada;

5) Braxton Jones, OT, Southern Utah;

5) Dameon Pierce, RB, Florida;

6) LaBryan Ray, DT, Alabama;

Post draft

The Eagles trade Andre Dillard to the Cincinnati Bengals for a 3rd in 2023. 

Eagles draft ammo in 2023; 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Even if you would have to trade up into the top 5 for a QB, you’d still have more than enough ammo to address needs beyond the first round. Basically they’d only have to give up a future first cause "that part of the deal 2nd rounder” you acquired this year in a trade down.

• Like 3

not bad i like the players you got even with the trades… my question is are we giving up a more talented player to position ourselves just incase for the future? 

if hurts goes to shitting the bed… do they just bench him and we end up with a top 10 pick anyway? after having 3 1st round picks if we don’t improve at all are we looking for a new coach and gm next offseason? 

• Like 1

I like it all except for the trade up to #10 overall. Travon Walker is definitely an edge I would like the Eagles to get, but with the depth at edge this year would prefer to stay put or even another trade back vs a trade up. 

My edge preference order:

1 Hutchison 

2 Thibodeaux

3 Karlaftis

4 Johnson

5 Walker

6 Ojabo

I would be happy with any of them at 15/16, and can’t see all 6 gone that early. Wouldn’t be upset with another trade back and possibly still landing one of them later in the first or one of Enagbare, Ebitekie, Myjai Sanders or Boye Mafe in the 2nd.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MidMoFo said:

I like it all except for the trade up to #10 overall. Travon Walker is definitely an edge I would like the Eagles to get, but with the depth at edge this year would prefer to stay put or even another trade back vs a trade up. 

1 Hutchison 

2 Thibodeaux

3 Karlaftis

4 Johnson

5 Walker

6 Ojabo

I would be happy with any of them at 15/16, and can’t see all 6 gone that early. Wouldn’t be upset with another trade back and possibly still landing one of them later in the first or one of Enagbare, Ebitekie, Myjai Sanders or Boye Mafe in the 2nd.

Thx!

Daniel Jeremiah has both Johnson and Walker going before pick 15. If you would have asked me a month ago, I would have called you crazy but now I tend to think this could actually happen.

I have a different order than you do. Hutch, Thibodeaux, Walker, Johnson, Ojabo and Karlaftis. I like the latter but the others simply have more upside and/or have better production to show for.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cheesteakitis said:

not bad i like the players you got even with the trades… my question is are we giving up a more talented player to position ourselves just incase for the future? 

if hurts goes to shitting the bed… do they just bench him and we end up with a top 10 pick anyway? after having 3 1st round picks if we don’t improve at all are we looking for a new coach and gm next offseason? 

This mock is about getting better now while also loading up on draft picks for 2023. If Hurts doesn’t pan out and you do end up with a top 10 pick (or close to it), it’ll even get easier to trade up for a QB and you’d still have enough ammo left to address other needs.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

Thx!

Daniel Jeremiah has both Johnson and Walker going before pick 15. If you would have asked me a month ago, I would have called you crazy but now I tend to think this could really happen.

I have a different order than you do. Hutch, Thibodeaux, Walker, Johnson, Ojabo and Karlaftis. I like the latter but the others simply have more upside and/or have better production to show for.

It’s certainly not out of the question that 4/5 of those six names are gone by #15, so then it comes down to which 4/5? Another thing to consider if that many edge guys are going that early… who’s dropping because of it? One of the top corners falling? Kyle Hamilton falling? There’s going to be some offensive linemen and a couple qb’s (the hype between now and the draft is going to make a team fall in love with one or two of them) picked with those 14 picks before we’re on the clock, so someone not expected to be there, will be.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MidMoFo said:

It’s certainly not out of the question that 4/5 of those six names are gone by #15, so then it comes down to which 4/5? Another thing to consider if that many edge guys are going that early… who’s dropping because of it? One of the top corners falling? Kyle Hamilton falling? There’s going to be some offensive linemen and a couple qb’s (the hype between now and the draft is going to make a team fall in love with one or two of them) picked with those 14 picks before we’re on the clock, so someone not expected to be there, will be.

All true but in the end pass rusher is still our biggest need and a position the Eagles notoriously value in the first. 

The question is; who do the Eagles prefer? If they have no preference, they stay put but if they do, they might have to trade up.

If Jeremiah says both Walker and Johnson will likely be gone by pick 15, I’m leaning towards believing him. If the Eagles like either one more than others like Karlaftis and Ojabo etc, they have to trade up a couple of spots.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ray75 said:

This mock is about getting better now while also loading up on draft picks for 2023. If Hurts doesn’t pan out and you do end up with a top 10 pick (or close to it), it’ll even get easier to trade up for a QB and you’d still have enough ammo left to address other needs.

yes i get that just posing a question because what i tend to do a lot of times is see 4/5 mock drafts with a player i like at a certain range, so i’m like ok i’ll trade back to that area and pick up some ammo then the player i wanted goes higher and i miss out on them. all kinds of things to consider trying to play the best off-season fun times.

I completely agree with 1, 2, and 3 but I;d rather bear with you that bare with you. 

Re-sign: works for me. Even though I', not a Rodney fan at this point I can see not having to replace both starting safeties. 

Restructure: ok, but I hate the notion of continually kicking the can down the road. 

Free Agents: I'd be happy with this, but getting a premier starting safety changes my thoughts about retaining McLoud. Question: Do you think Pascal is the type of older guy Smith has been asking for in the locker room or do you think he'd prefer someone more veteran?

Draft:

• Trade #1 - if the Eagles make the playoffs next year this works in terms of the trade value chart
  • Walker is near the top of my board, great add. 
  • Burkes. I'm a little dicey on this one. I think we need more defensive help and if we add Pascal I thnk we can wait until day 2 to add a young receiver.
  • Trade #2 - don't like it at all. While it's great value in terms of the value chart, I'd rather one of the following. Picks 32 and 66 this year, which is a bit of a premium for Detriot, but gets us an extra pick or keep the pick and take a higher rated corner than Gordon
  • Gordon (Pick 32). If it goes like you've laid out, we absolutely need a corner here. Some boards have McCreary rated above Gordon but would fill a real need with either. 
  • Muma. I'm with you on the position. If Smith or Harris are there, they'd be my preference. 
  • Joseph. A nice add, but probably not starter material this year. Since we didn't take a safety on day 1 or 2, here I go again. 'm going to flip-flop on McLoud and say re-sign him. How do you think Joseph compares with O'Neil, and Cine? 
  • Turner. My opinion is he's an under the radar gem. Great pick!
  • Pierce. I'd be a great pick in the 5th, but I've seen him as highly rated as the 3rd. I would like to see a bigger back and this might be a spot for Haskins. 
  • Jones. Unless we trade Dillard we won't need a tackle this year, so I'd rather spend the pick on an area of need. Since we're losing 2 defensive ends and a rush linebacker (Avery) I'd rather see a DE in this slot. 
  • Ray. This would be a solid pick. My preference is a punter. 

Ray - glad you didn't wait until after free agency to post. It's always interesting and always food for thought.

Thanks

8 hours ago, Rob331 said:

I completely agree with 1, 2, and 3 but I;d rather bear with you that bare with you. 

Re-sign: works for me. Even though I', not a Rodney fan at this point I can see not having to replace both starting safeties. 

Restructure: ok, but I hate the notion of continually kicking the can down the road. 

Free Agents: I'd be happy with this, but getting a premier starting safety changes my thoughts about retaining McLoud. Question: Do you think Pascal is the type of older guy Smith has been asking for in the locker room or do you think he'd prefer someone more veteran?

Draft:

• Trade #1 - if the Eagles make the playoffs next year this works in terms of the trade value chart
  • Walker is near the top of my board, great add. 
  • Burkes. I'm a little dicey on this one. I think we need more defensive help and if we add Pascal I thnk we can wait until day 2 to add a young receiver.
  • Trade #2 - don't like it at all. While it's great value in terms of the value chart, I'd rather one of the following. Picks 32 and 66 this year, which is a bit of a premium for Detriot, but gets us an extra pick or keep the pick and take a higher rated corner than Gordon
  • Gordon (Pick 32). If it goes like you've laid out, we absolutely need a corner here. Some boards have McCreary rated above Gordon but would fill a real need with either. 
  • Muma. I'm with you on the position. If Smith or Harris are there, they'd be my preference. 
  • Joseph. A nice add, but probably not starter material this year. Since we didn't take a safety on day 1 or 2, here I go again. 'm going to flip-flop on McLoud and say re-sign him. How do you think Joseph compares with O'Neil, and Cine? 
  • Turner. My opinion is he's an under the radar gem. Great pick!
  • Pierce. I'd be a great pick in the 5th, but I've seen him as highly rated as the 3rd. I would like to see a bigger back and this might be a spot for Haskins. 
  • Jones. Unless we trade Dillard we won't need a tackle this year, so I'd rather spend the pick on an area of need. Since we're losing 2 defensive ends and a rush linebacker (Avery) I'd rather see a DE in this slot. 
  • Ray. This would be a solid pick. My preference is a punter. 

Ray - glad you didn't wait until after free agency to post. It's always interesting and always food for thought.

Thanks

Thx Rob.

Let’s answer some of your questions;

Why Pascal? Cause a) Sirianni is extremely high on him; b) he’s a veteran with a  great work ethic c) won’t break the bank. Sure I’d rather like to see the Eagles sign Williams, Godwin or Robinson but they’d all be way more expensive. I don’t care what Smith wants.

It won’t hurt to bring back McCleod for another year and pair him with Williams until Joseph is ready. FYI; I have Cine going mid 2nd and have a similar grade on Joseph and O’Neill (late 2nd - early/mid 3rd).

McCreary is falling cause of his short arms and smaller stature. Teams might have started viewing him as a nickel CB. Gordon is rising up draft boards. He’s 6’2” with long arms and plus athletism. Better suited to play on the outside.

Trade 2...is for the future, NOT this year. I don’t want more picks this year, I want more next year in case Hurts doesn’t pan out.

I’m higher on Muma than most but Smith, Asamoah or Harris would do there too.

Jones...Yes, I did trade Dillard to the Bengals post draft.

FYI in 2021 Nwosu had more sacks as a SAM in LA than any Eagles player had all year. He’s exactly what they hoped to get when they traded a 4th for Avery. Sweat, BG, Walker, Jackson bringing pressure as pure DE’s in a 4-3. And you’d have Nwosu, Johnson and Walker as stand up pass rushers to put pressure on opposing QB’s if you want to switch to a 3-4 (over) front.

I’m fine with a quality punter in the 6th.

14 hours ago, Ray75 said:

Trade 2...is for the future, NOT this year. I don’t want more picks this year, I want more next year in case Hurts doesn’t pan out.

On 2/27/2022 at 5:59 AM, Ray75 said:

The Eagles trade Andre Dillard to the Cincinnati Bengals for a 3rd in 2023. 

Eagles draft ammo in 2023; 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Ray  - I don't know how you feel about Howie, but these moves would bet run by Lurie. If Lurie approves them I would think he'd also be approving Howie to execute the plan next year. Ergo - Howie gets re-signed. 

Personally, I like Howie more than most and think he should be back. Your off-season makes the team better so that too weighs in Howie's favor. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Rob331 said:

Ray  - I don't know how you feel about Howie, but these moves would bet run by Lurie. If Lurie approves them I would think he'd also be approving Howie to execute the plan next year. Ergo - Howie gets re-signed. 

Personally, I like Howie more than most and think he should be back. Your off-season makes the team better so that too weighs in Howie's favor. 

Look...I’m not a Howie hater. Sure he badly missed on both FA acquisitions and high draft picks but he also hit some home runs. 

Had a great draft last year. Let’s see how he’ll do this year in FA and the draft. 

• Like 1

I actually wouldn't mind if they gave Minshew a chance next year, with all that added ammo AND the best OL in the league.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ray75 said:

Look...I’m not a Howie hater. Sure he badly missed on both FA acquisitions and high draft picks but he also hit some home runs. 

Had a great draft last year. Let’s see how he’ll do this year in FA and the draft. 

Like it Ray. I suppose my main criticism would be the Burks pick, after bringing in Pascal. Personally I would look for Chark or Robinson in free agency and forget about WR until 3rd round. I’d pick up Lloyd or Booth/McDuffie instead of Burks in the draft.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2022 at 9:04 AM, MidMoFo said:

1 Hutchison 

2 Thibodeaux

3 Karlaftis

4 Johnson

5 Walker

6 Ojabo

I agree, plus idk if that's enough to trade up. 

Don't trade up. Stay put, there are a bunch of DE's this draft. I would trade back though, and draft another DE at some point. This is a year to stock up at DE.

Hey Ray. How you doin? Got 3 comments for you. 

1. Know you edited your post, but too late. Have to say that I do not want to BARE with you. Understand that Holland is more open and liberal, but---uhhh---no thanks.

2. More on point. Really do not like move up to 10 for Walker. Not that he is a bad pick---I like him, for sure--but why trade up for a DE, who has similar ranking to a few other guys. Plus the fact that he would only play 35-40% of plays, sitting behind Sweat and BG(barring injury). now if you said trade up for Gardner or Lloyd or even Hamilton, I could see that. Positions of need, and guys who would play 90+% of plays. Just don't see the value.

3. REALLY hate moving back with Detroit. Howie worked his butt off to do something that has only been done ONCE in NFL history---3 picks inside top 20. And you are throwing it away for "WHAT IF" scenario. This year is 2022. Why not plan to make 2022 as good as can be, and worry about 2023 then. Why would you think that next year's crop of qbs' are any better than this year's? we have opportunity to improve team around Hurts with some top guys that can really help the team. Don't squander it for the "maybe" theory.

Sorry for the negativity. ER

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eaglerick55 said:

Hey Ray. How you doin? Got 3 comments for you. 

1. Know you edited your post, but too late. Have to say that I do not want to BARE with you. Understand that Holland is more open and liberal, but---uhhh---no thanks.

2. More on point. Really do not like move up to 10 for Walker. Not that he is a bad pick---I like him, for sure--but why trade up for a DE, who has similar ranking to a few other guys. Plus the fact that he would only play 35-40% of plays, sitting behind Sweat and BG(barring injury). now if you said trade up for Gardner or Lloyd or even Hamilton, I could see that. Positions of need, and guys who would play 90+% of plays. Just don't see the value.

3. REALLY hate moving back with Detroit. Howie worked his butt off to do something that has only been done ONCE in NFL history---3 picks inside top 20. And you are throwing it away for "WHAT IF" scenario. This year is 2022. Why not plan to make 2022 as good as can be, and worry about 2023 then. Why would you think that next year's crop of qbs' are any better than this year's? we have opportunity to improve team around Hurts with some top guys that can really help the team. Don't squander it for the "maybe" theory.

Sorry for the negativity. ER

Let me explain my thought process behind this specific mock;

1) DE is handsdown the Eagles biggest need. You could argue which DE you prefer. Me?  Realistically for the Eagles? Johnson and Walker! I don’t know if you’ve seen Jeremiah’s latest mock but he has us taking Karlaftis cause both Johnson and Walker are off the board

2) I have to see it to believe it. For real! Eagles taking a LB or S in the first. Let alone trading up for one. Not that I don’t want them to but this organisation simply doesn’t value those positions like other teams do. I can see them trading up for a pass rusher they’ve fallen in love with but not for a LB or S. If it were up to me, I’d stay put and take Ojabo or Karlaftis, Lloyd and a corner like Booth or McDuffy but I’ve stopped just making mocks about what I want them to do a long time ago. I like mine a little more grounded.

3) Eagles had little draft picks couple of years in a row. I believe Howie’s goal is to have a lot of (high) draft picks every single year, not just in 2022. It’s not just about QB’s but having draft ammo every year. It would surprise me if he stays put and uses all 3 first rounders.

4) IMO you improved the roster both through FA and the draft, were able to get the guys you want (debatable who they prefer) and stockpiled draft picks for next year. 

4 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Like it Ray. I suppose my main criticism would be the Burks pick, after bringing in Pascal. Personally I would look for Chark or Robinson in free agency and forget about WR until 3rd round. I’d pick up Lloyd or Booth/McDuffie instead of Burks in the draft.

You know me by now. Trying to put out as many different scenarios as I possibly can.

I definitely prefer Chark and Robinson over Pascal but in this scenario I had them looking for a mid/low tier FA receiver. Someone who’ll bring veteran leadership and great work ethic without breaking the bank.

If you had to pick one, what will it be? Eagles signing a top safety or Eagles bringing in one of the top veteran receivers?

Personally I rather draft Burks than sign an expensive veteran receiver not named Adams, Williams or Godwin. Look I wouldn’t mind JuJu, Kirk, Chark or one of these other FA’s but I went into this mock with the idea that the Eagles are willing to spend on a young veteran safety more than on a receiver. They’ve shown time and time again that they’re comfortable using first round ammo on receivers but they literally never used one on a safety. 

On 2/27/2022 at 7:01 PM, Cheesteakitis said:

yes i get that just posing a question because what i tend to do a lot of times is see 4/5 mock drafts with a player i like at a certain range, so i’m like ok i’ll trade back to that area and pick up some ammo then the player i wanted goes higher and i miss out on them. all kinds of things to consider trying to play the best off-season fun times.

You only have to look at what happened last year.

Eagles traded back, picked up a 1st and 3rd but in the end had to give up that 3rd acquired from Miami in order to get the guy they wanted.

The way I see it; with 3 first rounders you have the flexibility to do whatever you want. Stay put and see who falls in your lap, trade up for a guy you arguably have a higher grade on, trade down and acquire more picks for this year and/or the future.

I toyed with all 3 scenarios in this mock.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ray75 said:

You know me by now. Trying to put out as many different scenarios as I possibly can.

I definitely prefer Chark and Robinson over Pascal but in this scenario I had them looking for a mid/low tier FA receiver. Someone who’ll bring veteran leadership and great work ethic without breaking the bank.

If you had to pick one, what will it be? Eagles signing a top safety or Eagles bringing in one of the top veteran receivers?

Personally I rather draft Burks than sign an expensive veteran receiver not named Adams, Williams or Godwin. Look I wouldn’t mind JuJu, Kirk, Chark or one of these other FA’s but I went into this mock with the idea that the Eagles are willing to spend on a young veteran safety more than on a receiver. They’ve shown time and time again that they’re comfortable using first round ammo on receivers but they literally never used one on a safety. 

Ah you see - I’m greedy - I think the Eagles can do both with a bit of cap magic. I think we can afford say Robinson and Diggs or Whitehead and Chark. Definitely the two positions to focus on on FA for me.

I also think we need a cheap stop gap starting corner (like Nelson, but we will be priced out I think)

I think things may change this year. Gannon’s scheme puts more focus on LBs and safeties. That being said, Hamilton is out of reach and I would only draft Hill after a trade down.

Always enjoy your work!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Ah you see - I’m greedy - I think the Eagles can do both with a bit of cap magic. I think we can afford say Robinson and Diggs or Whitehead and Chark. Definitely the two positions to focus on on FA for me.

I also think we need a cheap stop gap starting corner (like Nelson, but we will be priced out I think)

I think things may change this year. Gannon’s scheme puts more focus on LBs and safeties. That being said, Hamilton is out of reach and I would only draft Hill after a trade down.

Always enjoy your work!

Thx! 👊🏻

We’re on the same page; WR and S in FA.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

Thx! 👊🏻

We’re on the same page; WR and S in FA.

I think we are also on the same page that given the Eagles needs and the depth of the positions in the draft, it makes all the sense in the world for the Eagles to draft a DE and CB in the first round.

• Like 1

I don't understand the various offseason post saying to re-sign Brandon Graham.  He's under contract this year and not a free agent.  He signed through 2026 but 2024-2026 are void years. So they don't have to do anything with him this year.  Draft 2 defensive ends in this draft - one high preferably 1st round then get another at some point - and let Barnett walk in free agency.  After this year, cut Brandon Graham (or he retires) and you have presumably your 1st round DE starting across from either the other DE pick or Sweat whoever wins the job.  

Hey Ray. I guess our biggest difference is that you have DE as our #1 need. I have it at #5. This assumes Kelce comes back.

In my mind, I see CB as 1, MLB at 2, Safety at 3, WR at 4, DE at 5. Biggest reason for this is that we need starters at 1-4. With BG and Sweat, we need role guys for 2022. I do think we should double up at DE during the draft, though. I expect us to hit WR and safety in FA. That leaves 3 picks in rd1 for the other 3. 

4 hours ago, Eaglerick55 said:

Hey Ray. I guess our biggest difference is that you have DE as our #1 need. I have it at #5. This assumes Kelce comes back.

In my mind, I see CB as 1, MLB at 2, Safety at 3, WR at 4, DE at 5. Biggest reason for this is that we need starters at 1-4. With BG and Sweat, we need role guys for 2022. I do think we should double up at DE during the draft, though. I expect us to hit WR and safety in FA. That leaves 3 picks in rd1 for the other 3. 

I don’t look at it in just share numbers or bodies. We simply didn’t get enough out of the position in 2021. We were 29th in sacks. That’s just not good enough, especially for this organisation (who usually find themselves in the top 5-10 in that department). 

Getting a dominant pass rusher is priority No.1 and it’s not even close IMO. They have to get it right there, they just have to, whatever the cost.It’s their pride and joy, their mantra, building a team through the trenches, establishing a great pass rush. Not only do they not have the horses, they also lack a dominant edge rusher who they can build on. That’s why I traded up! He might not be there yet but I believe eventually Walker can turn into that guy.

• Like 1