Eagles Mock Draft (02-27-22)

Ray75

1 hour ago, Ray75 said:

I don’t look at it in just share numbers or bodies. We simply didn’t get enough out of the position in 2021. We were 29th in sacks. That’s just not good enough, especially for this organisation (who usually find themselves in the top 5-10 in that department). 

Getting a dominant pass rusher is priority No.1 and it’s not even close IMO. They have to get it right there, they just have to, whatever the cost.It’s their pride and joy, their mantra, building a team through the trenches, establishing a great pass rush. Not only do they not have the horses, they also lack a dominant edge rusher who they can build on. That’s why I traded up! He might not be there yet but I believe eventually Walker can turn into a much higher number of that guy.

I see that GREATLY improving our overall pass defense will do as much as adding pass rushers. With how we did in pass defense for a majority of the year, I think it would have been hard for Reggie, Clyde, and Jerome to get a high number of sacks. Just think about how many 3rd and long we had, only to give up an 8 yard curl or shallow cross that ended up in first downs. No front 4 will sack the qb when the qb releases a pass in 1.5 seconds. Especially in first half of year. Adding a top-flight corner, safety, and mlb will improve our overall defense, AND allow our pass rushers more time to get to the qb. They go hand-in-hand.

2 hours ago, Eaglerick55 said:

I see that GREATLY improving our overall pass defense will do as much as adding pass rushers. With how we did in pass defense for a majority of the year, I think it would have been hard for Reggie, Clyde, and Jerome to get a high number of sacks. Just think about how many 3rd and long we had, only to give up an 8 yard curl or shallow cross that ended up in first downs. No front 4 will sack the qb when the qb releases a pass in 1.5 seconds. Especially in first half of year. Adding a top-flight corner, safety, and mlb will improve our overall defense, AND allow our pass rushers more time to get to the qb. They go hand-in-hand.

Absolutely and that’s why in about every mock I  did, I addressed both areas.

DE, S, LB, CB and WR. Hit on all five and we’rw probably only a QB away unless Hurts surprises us all big time by turning into Wilson 2.0.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2022 at 6:59 PM, Eaglerick55 said:

Hey Ray. I guess our biggest difference is that you have DE as our #1 need. I have it at #5. This assumes Kelce comes back.

In my mind, I see CB as 1, MLB at 2, Safety at 3, WR at 4, DE at 5. Biggest reason for this is that we need starters at 1-4. With BG and Sweat, we need role guys for 2022. I do think we should double up at DE during the draft, though. I expect us to hit WR and safety in FA. That leaves 3 picks in rd1 for the other 3. 

DE is one of the top needs. You can't think only about 2022 season. There is a lot of talent at DE in this draft plus Barnett likely gone, Graham may only have another year and Sweat is decent but the team needs upgrades here. Now is the time to draft DE. You draft a 1st round DE as day 1 starter plus another DE at some point to groom behind Graham & Sweat. 

Funny, people say better pass rush helps the secondary but you're saying the opposite. They need help everywhere on defense. They could take a DE and corner or safety in the 1st round and address both. 

On 2/27/2022 at 9:26 AM, Ray75 said:

Thx!

Daniel Jeremiah has both Johnson and Walker going before pick 15. If you would have asked me a month ago, I would have called you crazy but now I tend to think this could actually happen.

I have a different order than you do. Hutch, Thibodeaux, Walker, Johnson, Ojabo and Karlaftis. I like the latter but the others simply have more upside and/or have better production to show for.

I would say the combine has made this estimate even more likely. I think I like your DE rankings better as well. Walker looks like he could be a stud, Johnson a solid producer, Ojabo a high ceiling player needing a year or two, Karlaftis a high floor but not as high of a ceiling.

• Thanks 1

On 3/5/2022 at 1:42 PM, NOTW said:

DE is one of the top needs. You can't think only about 2022 season. There is a lot of talent at DE in this draft plus Barnett likely gone, Graham may only have another year and Sweat is decent but the team needs upgrades here. Now is the time to draft DE. You draft a 1st round DE as day 1 starter plus another DE at some point to groom behind Graham & Sweat. 

Funny, people say better pass rush helps the secondary but you're saying the opposite. They need help everywhere on defense. They could take a DE and corner or safety in the 1st round and address both. 

Hey NOTW. Normally, pass rush helps secondary more than the reverse. But you have to remember how passive our pass defense was most of the time last year. We gave up so many soft receptions because we did not want to get beaten deep. Biggest reason was that we did not have the overall quality back 7 guys who could allow us to be more aggressive. Poor safety play most of the year, and overall lack of athleticism from linebacker group--especially in first half of year. But I also see need for edge guy. That is why I want top safety in FA, a corner, mlb, and DE in round 1. We need to upgrade everywhere on defense this year.

On 2/27/2022 at 2:59 AM, Ray75 said:

Derek Barnett (cap savings $7,2 million)

Ray, that 7.2 is dead cap hit.  They spread his 5th year option across 2021 / 22

3 hours ago, downundermike said:

Ray, that 7.2 is dead cap hit.  They spread his 5th year option across 2021 / 22

Thx! My bad...