Philly Mock Draft 3/19/2022 - UPDATED

leftcoastnest

UPDATED

Eagles signed Reddick for 3 years, $45M deal.

Watson signs with Browns. Removed trade from mock.

Key Takeaways:

1 - Significantly upgrade our pass rush and secondary.

2 - Add WR and LB talent/depth.

3 - Retain value vets on short-term deals.

4 - Help fill Fletcher Cox’s replacement for 2023

Re-sign:

Jason Kelce (signed - $14M / 1yr)

Rodney McCleod 

Nate Herbig

Boston Scott

Anthony Harris

Let walk:

Derek Barnett

Steven Nelson

Ryan Kerrigan

Jordan Howard

Jason Croom

Genart Avery

Brandon Brooks (retired)

Restructure:

Darius Slay

Javon Hargrave

FA:

Haason Reddick, OLB, Panthers (signed $45M / 3 yrs)

Tyrann Mathieu, S, Chiefs

Fletcher Cox, DT, (signed $14M / 1 yr)

Greg Ward, WR (1 yr)

Andre Chachere, CB (1 yr)

Renell Wren, DT

Draft:

15 - Derek Stingley, CB, LSU

16 - Jermaine Johnson II, DE, FSU

19 - Treylon Burks, WR, Arkansas

51 - Phidarian Mathis, DT, Alabama

83 - Brandon Smith, LB, PSU

123 - Kerby Joseph, S, Illinois

154 - Josh Jobe, CB, Alabama

162 - Isaiah Likely, TE, Coastal Carolina

166 - Justin Shaffer, OG, Georgia

194 - Zamir White, RB, Georgia

• Like 1

I would absolutely love this but I fear it’ll take a lot more than this to get Watson, likely more than what Denver gave up for Wilson.

Plus Eagles don’t have the cap space to take on Watson’s salary (35 million) and sign both Williams (12-15 million) and Reddick (> 10 million). They just signed Kelce to a one year 14 million deal.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Ray75 said:

I would absolutely love this but I fear it’ll take a lot more than this to get Watson, likely more than what Denver gave up for Wilson.

Plus Eagles don’t have the cap space to take on Watson’s salary (35 million) and sign both Williams (12-15 million) and Reddick (> 10 million). They just signed Kelce to a one year 14 million deal.

Good point, although I do think Howie has a way to get deals done and Hurts would be of more value to Houston than our second 1st in 2022 due to the QB class being so weak this year. Remember, Watson has a no-trade clause, so if he says Philly is one of his only spots he’d go to, that could help our leverage. Given the fact that NO lost their star HC and CAR looks like a weak team with CMC on the trade block, I think PHI and PITT are the best contenders for Watson.

I’m going to adjust and remove Reddick from FA moves. Honestly, if we sure up the secondary and add Jermaine, our pressure should be back to dominant with Darius, Stingley, and Williams locking down WRs and TEs.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cheesteakitis said:

put the pipe down 

Great insights.

1 hour ago, Cheesteakitis said:

thanks i thought so too 

Soooo would you like to have a productive convo about it? Like everyone’s feedback on this board (if it’s logical and constructive)

want nothing to do with watson and doubt they do it with us without 2 first this year.. 

I’d be extremely happy with this if that’s all it took to get Watson. I’m sure the Texans will have way better offers personally. 

I think you've been overcome by events my friend. The Eagles are out of the Watson discussion as of yesterday.

Re-sign - Kelce - sure. I'm all Rodney'd out and would rather have a free agent and a high draft pick rookie starting this year. We''ve already signed Ridgeway's replacement in Wren. Herbig, I agree. Singleton - not for the $2M+ the tender offer would cost. 

Let walk - no arguments there. Just add McLeod to the list. 

Restructure - not sure about this one. We're already committed to Layne through 2026 because of prior restructures. That can has already been kicked down the road. A restructuire means more years and Slay is already over. I'm not in on that deal. Hargrave works for me given his age. 

Free agents - I like your free agent signings. Would rather have Chark but would be happy with Pascal. I also like Whitehead as well as several others. In any event we need a safety at starter in this free agent period. 

Draft - I'm a big fan of that draft and since there won't be a Watson deal we add another I back. 

Good read - thanks

• Thanks 1

On 3/13/2022 at 12:36 PM, Cheesteakitis said:

put the pipe down 

One of the great things about this forum is that folks disagree in a very respectful way in addition to stating their thought out reasons for that disagreement. 

You've been a welcome addition to the board and your thoughts have been very worthwhile reads - until now. C'mon man!

1 hour ago, Rob331 said:

One of the great things about this forum is that folks disagree in a very respectful way in addition to stating their thought out reasons for that disagreement. 

You've been a welcome addition to the board and your thoughts have been very worthwhile reads - until now. C'mon man!

dude i’ve been around this board since 2001, relax it was a joke 🙂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rob331 said:

I think you've been overcome by events my friend. The Eagles are out of the Watson discussion as of yesterday.

Re-sign - Kelce - sure. I'm all Rodney'd out and would rather have a free agent and a high draft pick rookie starting this year. We''ve already signed Ridgeway's replacement in Wren. Herbig, I agree. Singleton - not for the $2M+ the tender offer would cost. 

Let walk - no arguments there. Just add McLeod to the list. 

Restructure - not sure about this one. We're already committed to Layne through 2026 because of prior restructures. That can has already been kicked down the road. A restructuire means more years and Slay is already over. I'm not in on that deal. Hargrave works for me given his age. 

Free agents - I like your free agent signings. Would rather have Chark but would be happy with Pascal. I also like Whitehead as well as several others. In any event we need a safety at starter in this free agent period. 

Draft - I'm a big fan of that draft and since there won't be a Watson deal we add another I back. 

Good read - thanks

Great insights - Watson news has been flip flopping for a few days now, so until we see the deal happen, I think it’s still a major possibility. Won’t be mad either way tho - hurts deserves another season to develop and show us that he can continue to improve as a passer (I just don’t think he has much left progress on the play recognizability front)

copy that on Wren. I do not think Gannon wants to do a complete overhaul on LB core.

In your scenario of no Watson and letting McLeod walk, I’d sign Marcus Williams to fill S position and take a big bodied WR like Burks or London with 19 (and Jermaine Johnson at 15).

thanks for the thorough insights!

18 hours ago, Cheesteakitis said:

dude i’ve been around this board since 2001, relax it was a joke 🙂

And you have 600 posts in 21 years. It was a crummy joke. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rob331 said:

And you have 600 posts in 21 years. It was a crummy joke. 

well i didn’t feel the need to have my post count added to the new board unlike when i was young post count is no longer life 🙂 

it might have been a little brash but i’m tired of hearing about watson and don’t want his issues on this team

• Like 1

Good thing Watson doesn't want to come here. I would hate that trade and demand Howie be fired, if he did that. Not to mention it may not be enough for the Texans anyway.

27 minutes ago, jsdarkstar said:

Good thing Watson doesn't want to come here. I would hate that trade and demand Howie be fired, if he did that. Not to mention it may not be enough for the Texans anyway.

I agree. The guy is a louse on a couple of levels. 

First there is the issue with 22 women. That's unforgivable for anyone.

Then there's the fact that he re-signed with the Texans and took a huge signing bonus then said he didn't want to play for them one year later. That's unforgivable for anyone who has any personal honor. 

Third, in his last full year the Texans won about 6 games. 

• Like 1

On 3/12/2022 at 11:18 PM, leftcoastnest said:

FA:

Haason Reddick, OLB, Panthers (signed $45M / 3 yrs)

Zach Pascal, WR, Colts

Jordan Whitehead, S, Bucs

Day 2 is about over and it looks like Howie is now in bargain hunting mode. Your predictions seem more likely. 

Let's think about what they have to spend. Started with $24M in cap space. 

• Kelce - $15M which probably amounts to a $5M cap hit after Howie does his magic.
  • Reddick - $15M which with dummy years etc probably is another $5M
  • Ward, Chachere, and Herbig likely is about $3M
  • Draft picks will cost $5M
  • In season contingencies  $3M. 

That's $21M spent leaving them with $3M to spend. That won't do it for a WR and a S so look for some extensions and restructuring, maybe even a trade.

4 hours ago, Rob331 said:

Draft picks will cost $5M

As I pointed out in the other thread, this number is actually 15.7 million with the picks they currently have.  It is 9.1 million just for 15, 16 and 19

I want Nelson, McLeod, and Harris back. I would like to see some chemistry between the DBs this year. Still bring in young talent that can push the bums at the bottom of the depth chart off the team. 

14 hours ago, downundermike said:

As I pointed out in the other thread, this number is actually 15.7 million with the picks they currently have.  It is 9.1 million just for 15, 16 and 19

Answered you in the other post, but it's worth repeating. Thanks for the info, I just spit balled the number. That puts the Birds is a terrible cap situation. 

@Rob331 Eagles can get a lot of starting pieces in this years draft - stoked to see how our draft board falls

30 minutes ago, leftcoastnest said:

@Rob331 Eagles can get a lot of starting pieces in this years draft - stoked to see how our draft board falls

Sure hope so. With Barnett leaving the Riddick signing is a starter for a starter albeit a better one. They really didn't add.

Still need a starting cornerback (Nelson), a safety (McLoud), rotational DE (Kerrigan), linebacker upgrade, and rotational DT (Wren isn't theanswer. On the other side of the ball they need a starting wideout (Reagor), a big running back for short yardage (Howard), backup tight end (Jackson's ACL in the last game of the year), developmental qb. For teams they need a punter and a punt returner.  It would also be nice to add better corners on the bench, better depth at WR (JJAW), and another running back (Scott).

Seems to me Howie will have to trade one or two of those first round picks for multiple picks if this roster is really going to be improved.  

patrick peterson has expressed some interest in the eagles might be a good 1-2 year stop gap to help groom a draft pick and i also wouldn’t mind signing the honey badger at this point. 

hopefully a couple more of these qb moves fall into place so we can find out where minshew is getting traded 

52 minutes ago, Cheesteakitis said:

patrick peterson has expressed some interest in the eagles might be a good 1-2 year stop gap to help groom a draft pick and i also wouldn’t mind signing the honey badger at this point. 

hopefully a couple more of these qb moves fall into place so we can find out where minshew is getting traded 

No to Peterson - he gave up a lot of big plays last year for SKOLnation. I’m all in on that honey badger sitning, tho!

1 hour ago, Rob331 said:

Sure hope so. With Barnett leaving the Riddick signing is a starter for a starter albeit a better one. They really didn't add.

Still need a starting cornerback (Nelson), a safety (McLoud), rotational DE (Kerrigan), linebacker upgrade, and rotational DT (Wren isn't theanswer. On the other side of the ball they need a starting wideout (Reagor), a big running back for short yardage (Howard), backup tight end (Jackson's ACL in the last game of the year), developmental qb. For teams they need a punter and a punt returner.  It would also be nice to add better corners on the bench, better depth at WR (JJAW), and another running back (Scott).

Seems to me Howie will have to trade one or two of those first round picks for multiple picks if this roster is really going to be improved.  

Check out my revised draft now that Watson is off the table.