March Mock

Rob331

If you're seeing this for a second time, I apologize - something strange happened when I first posted it.

The first week and a half of free agency is gone and the Eagles are just a bit better. Reddick is an upgrade over Barnett and Pascal is certain to be more effective than Reagor. That leaves us with a bundle of needs. 

Critical high priority, can't be competitive without it:

• Starting Corner. At present we have no one at all who is capable of filling that role.
  • Safety. For all the talk about Marcus Epps being competent, he's just that - competent. We need a difference maker to play along side of Harris.

High priority, we'll be competitive if we don't add it, but we won't be good.

• Wide receiver. Pascal is a nice improvement, but he won't be a factor for other defenses.
  • Big running back. Third and 2, fourth and 1. Move the pile. Howard showed what a big guy can do behind our line so let's replace him in kind. 
  • Rotational DE who will be BG's replacement in 2023. We have 2 DE's on running downs BG,&  Sweat. 3 on passing downs with Reddick. 
  • Rotational DT who will be Fletch's replacement in 2023. The Eagles use a 4 man rotaton and at present have Cox, Hargrave, and Williams. Linebacker.
  • Linebacker. The Eagles play 2 in their nickel. That's Taylor and Edwards. Not good enough. 

Needs improvement

• Punter. Any questions?
  • Tight end. We can line up with Goedert, Stoll, Rodgers/Togiai and Jackson coming back mid-year, but wo wants to.  

Nice to have 

• Upgrade at backup corner. McPhereson and Chachere are special teamers, period. 
  • Upgrade at backup running back. We all love Boston Scott, but Gainwell is taking over his role. 
  • Upgrade at backup wide receiver. Pascal replaces JJAW on the roster. A high draft pick replace Reagor.  Ward could be upgraded.
  • Punt returner. It would be nice to win the battle of hidden yards on occasion
  • Developmental quarterback. Ripe for an upgrade. Even if Reid Sennet is an adequate #3 we don't have one on the practice squad. 

That's 14 needs and we have 10 picks. 7 of the needs are high priority and we have 5 picks on the 1st and 2nd day. Bottom line, we need more picks.

Trades: 

• As many as 6 offensive tackles will be taken in the 1st round. Matt Ryan is immobile and Indianapolis needs a left tackle. Andre Dillard to the Colts for the 73rd pick. 
  • Eagles trade the 16th pick (value 1000) to Dallas for a 1 (pick 24 value 740) and a 2 (pick 56 value 340)

Draft:

• 1 - 15  CB Kair Elam, Florida. 6'1" 187 4.39. This fills our biggest hole
  • 1 - 20 DE Jermaine Johnson, Florida State. 6'4" 255 4.58. Dallas wanted Karlaftis and got him. We got a better deal. 
  • 1- 24 DT Perrion Winfrey, Oklahoma. 6'3" 298 4.89. Fills out our rotation and sets us up nicely for 2023
  • 2-51 S Jaquan Brisker, Penn State. 6'1" 203 4.49. Size, speed and major conference experience. Will push or beat out Epps. 
  • 2-56 RB Isaiah Spiller, Texas A&M. 6'1" 225 4.52. Not only is he a big back. He's a ready made back up or replacement for Sanders.
  • 3-73 LB Troy Anderson, Montana State. 6'3" 243 4.42. The speed will make him a plus defender on tight ends immediately. He and Taylor are the nickel backer future.
  • 3-83 WR Jalen Tolbert, South Alabama. 6'1" 195 4.49. Shined at the senior bowl and combine. He and Pascal replace JJAW and Reagor
  • 4-124 OT Matt Waletzko, North Dakota. 6'7& 300 5.03. Replaces Dillard on the roster. 
  • 5-154 TE Charlie Kolar, Iowa State. 6'6" 252 4.77. 
  • 5-162 QB Aqeel Glass, Alabama A&M. 6'3" 228  4.95
  • 5-166 CB Zyon McCollum, Sam Houston State. 6'4" 195 4.33. A H-W-S freak who could develop into something special. 
  • 6-194 P Matt Araiza, San Diego State. He and Camarda are considered the pest punters in college ball.  

Summary:

• Filled all of the needs except another RB who would replace Scott and a punt returner
  • Set us up for retirements of Cox And BG
  • Set us up for Sanders next injury and/or not re-signing him for next year.
  • Got Winfrey (24) and Spiller (56) for Karlaftis (16)

nice read… i don’t think johnson makes it to 20 lots of teams still looking for de’s and they seem to be moving up the board. 

think that’s part of the reason the eagles brought barnett back so they don’t have to reach or force a trade up for one… they can stay true to the board.. i for one wouldn’t be upset if they ended up trading back with their picks and try and stockpile some picks in the 2nd-3rd round quite a few teams out there with multiple picks.

Two gripes. One, Johnson doesn't make it to 20. Two, you're bailing on McPhearson VERY early. Coaches are high on him and he has starter potential. I still draft a R1 CB with the intention of him and McPhearson competing for #2 this year.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Outlaw said:

Two gripes. One, Johnson doesn't make it to 20.

Outlaw.

With Ojabo's injury you're probably right. 

About time I seriously start looking at second day defensive ends - Kingsley Enagbare, the Thomas boys (Isaiah and Cameron), Boye Mafe, and Logan Hall. 

Not quite giving up on McPhereson but l'm not as sold on him as it seems you are. I don't think he's a candidate for a starting job this year at all. A sixth round pick like the one I spent on McCollum isn't really a known factor going in so you draft traits. McCollum's H-W-S traits are superior to McPhereson's and I admit it's likely McPhereson is the better player but who knows. I happen to really like the pick because with his size, 6'4" he's likely to be able to help at safety also. 

Thanks for the feedback. 

• Like 1

Agreed with @Outlaw Johnson won’t last that long. With Ojabo out, he will be long gone at #15.

Not a Brisker fan but do like de Elam, Kolar, McCollum and Araiza selections.

Here’s what I would do;

1) Davis/Wyatt 1) Karlaftis; 1) trade down to end of first for future draft capital and select Cine or Hall; 2) Muma, Walker or Harris (althought they signed Kyzir White today) or a WR; etc, etc...

20 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

Agreed with @Outlaw Johnson won’t last that long. With Ojabo out, he will be long gone at #15.

Not a Brisker fan but do like de Elam, Kolar, McCollum and Araiza selections.

Here’s what I would do;

1) Davis/Wyatt 1) Karlaftis; 1) trade down to end of first for future draft capital and select Cine or Hall; 2) Muma, Walker or Harris (althought they signed Kyzir White today) or a WR; etc, etc...

Thanks pal. I was worried and missed you. 

• Like 1

excellent read and analysis, Rob. Enjoyed it.

Couple of things, though. Pretty sure Johnson will not make it to 20. Especially with Ojabo injury. 1 fewer option now.

Also, am pretty certain that Anderson will never make it to round 3. I am looking at him hard now in round 2, and hoping he might make it there.

Will have my own mock soon, as soon as decision on Devante Parker is made.