NFL free agency: Eagles interested in CB Stephon Gilmore

time2rock

19 minutes ago, nipples said:

So basically there are five teams in the league with GMs who are pretty consistently putting together contending rosters. I don’t love all of Howie’s decisions, but I’d argue that he’s been one of the top guys outside of those five mentioned.

So are you going to roll the dice and fire him, and just hope the new guy can basically be a top 5 GM?

I think there are more than 5 teams with a better GM. I would have Howie around the league average and certainly not top 10.

SF have rebuilt after some bad years but before those bad years they were very good and were a contender. Now they look like a contender again as a result of that roster building. 

And yes I would roll the dice. Why? Because you've got to take chances in the NFL. This team is not going to get anywhere in my opinion with Howie as the GM. He's too average.

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think there are more than 5 teams with a better GM. I would have Howie around the league average and certainly not top 10.

SF have rebuilt after some bad years but before those bad years they were very good and were a contender. Now they look like a contender again as a result of that roster building. 

And yes I would roll the dice. Why? Because you've got to take chances in the NFL. This team is not going to get anywhere in my opinion with Howie as the GM. He's too average.

Tell me what other teams are better then when it comes to contending. I’d say New England, but I need to see more than one good season post-Brady to make that call. 

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

You can’t include SF before their down years because that wasn’t the same GM. Lynch took over I believe in 2017, and the record I just posted are under his regime. 

And again, I don’t see how this team isn’t going to get anywhere with Howie when we’ve already seen them do it once. 

11 minutes ago, nipples said:

You can’t include SF before their down years because that wasn’t the same GM. Lynch took over I believe in 2017, and the record I just posted are under his regime. 

And again, I don’t see how this team isn’t going to get anywhere with Howie when we’ve already seen them do it once. 

You can't use one year as an outlier when he hit on every move. That's the absolute outlier here now the norm.

6 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Say you want about the Green Bay GM and what their fans may think. They routinely make the play offs and they are routinely one of the top seeds. They seem to choke in the big play off games but I'm not sure that's too much on the GM?

I'm not saying that being a contender is better than winning one SB. But isn't the point to be contenders and win the SB? You can't win the SB if you aren't a contender and year in and year out (bar 2017) Howie has built average rosters.

1.  Take away Aaron Rogers and the Packers would be average at best, they live and die by the sword.  That team is a perfect example of how enamored you might be if just the QB play was elevated here at Philly.  With that a team can cover a lot of shortcomings.  No team illustrates that better than Green Bay has over the last 10 years.  Bad coaching, even worse management.  

2.  So are the Eagles contenders or not?  Would you say they were contenders the year they won, or was it a surprise when Wentz went down and they played with Foles, and went through Atlanta, Minny then New England?  I'll be honest, that season, I thought they were done.  I thought they would lose to Atlanta.  I thought they were going to lose to Minnesota.  Only after those two wins I started to think that they had a chance in the Super Bowl, but I never wanted to get my hopes up.

Were they real contenders that year, in hindsight yes, but you can't tell me that you really thought they were for real.

That's why they play the games.  I'm going to hang my hat on the hole Howie dug out of after the 2016 season.  I HATED the Reagor pick with Jefferson still on the board.  I was livid that they had to outsmart everyone else and pass on Jefferson.  This past year makes me think he might have learned something and perhaps has changed his ways.  

Let's see what happens this season.  It'll either reflect this past draft, which might have been one of the better ones the Eagles have had, but if it goes back to the outsmarting, fastball picking GM we've seen in years past, I'll join your club.  Until then, I'm with Nips on the previous post.  He's not a Top 5 GM, but he's absolutely in the top half.  Until he finds the QB for this team, we'll have no choice but to live in mediocrity.  Unless we find the next Ray Lewis...

17 minutes ago, nipples said:

Tell me what other teams are better then when it comes to contending. I’d say New England, but I need to see more than one good season post-Brady to make that call. 

But not because of the GM....while Brady was playing there, they weren't known for terrific draft classes.

Just now, Vee said:

But not because of the GM....while Brady was playing there, they weren't known for terrific draft classes.

I understand that, that’s why I’m saying I need to see how they do the next couple years before judging. 

7 minutes ago, Vee said:

.  So are the Eagles contenders or not?  Would you say they were contenders the year they won, or was it a surprise when Wentz went down and they played with Foles, and went through Atlanta, Minny then New England?  I'll be honest, that season, I thought they were done.  I thought they would lose to Atlanta.  I thought they were going to lose to Minnesota.  Only after those two wins I started to think that they had a chance in the Super Bowl, but I never wanted to get my hopes up.

Were they real contenders that year, in hindsight yes, but you can't tell me that you really thought they were for real

So firstly, no I don't think anyone thought the Eagles were going to be a contender that year. Howie made good moves and it came together. But that was an outlier. And yes when Wentz went down we all thought it was over. But that just further shows that the stars aligned that year. It wasn't sustained and the wheels all came off. 

36 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

So firstly, no I don't think anyone thought the Eagles were going to be a contender that year. Howie made good moves and it came together. But that was an outlier. And yes when Wentz went down we all thought it was over. But that just further shows that the stars aligned that year. It wasn't sustained and the wheels all came off. 

Agreed.   The talent wasn't as deep, and it showed.  I think Howie used to gamble with fastballs and damaged goods.  I'm hoping he's adapting and evolving into a better manager.  I think this is the draft that we will see where this team will go.  Either we have more swings and misses, or he starts stocking this team with good, young, affordable talent that can be supplemented with free agent veterans in two or three seasons and really build for the long term.  That should coincide with cap freedom as well.

• Like 1