NFL free agency: Eagles interested in CB Stephon Gilmore

time2rock

NFL free agency: Eagles interested in CB Stephon Gilmore

USATSI_17403969.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1
Glenn Erby 

March 25, 2022 8:54 am ET

e1.JPG.4f437e26038cc15afcd1ef65f997e694.JPG

The Eagles have a need at cornerback and according to the wife of one Pro Bowl coverguy, Howie Roseman has already inquired about his services.

Gabrielle Gilmore, the wife of free agent cornerback Stephon Gilmore was chatting on Twitter with fans about potential destinations when she referenced the Eagles placing a phone call about acquiring the former South Carolina’ star’s services.

One fan let Gilmore know that Philadelphia has an open spot at cornerback, and the Pro Bowlers wife let the fan know that interest has already been shown.

Gilmore, the 2019 NFL Defensive Player of the Year, remains unsigned as the 2022 NFL free agency period extends into its second week and the 31-year-old is coming off a Pro Bowl year with the Carolina Panthers, proving that he’s still one of the best cornerbacks in the league.

https://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/2022/03/25/philadelphia-eagles-stephon-gilmore-nfl-free-agency-gabrielle-gilmore/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR1jcXGoM2ABksP4_vVVXM5WmRsm3wqUzTRDcIs1fi_5-GPEWB6SjJTVjH8

• Haha 1

i’m in! pair slay and gilmore for a year or two while adding a cb in the top half of the draft and we might actually have something 

On the one hand I think you always try to win, on the other I see this perpetual Howie cycle of 9-win teams that aren't bad enough to add top talent but aren't really legit contenders either

• Like 2

5 hours ago, pgcd3 said:

On the one hand I think you always try to win, on the other I see this perpetual Howie cycle of 9-win teams that aren't bad enough to add top talent but aren't really legit contenders either

Absolutely. The problem is I think that his cap management approach is now starting to impact the team. It isn't that we are in a bad cap position but we are in a position where we are limited by what we can do. And this roster just isn't that good.

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Absolutely. The problem is I think that his cap management approach is now starting to impact the team. It isn't that we are in a bad cap position but we are in a position where we are limited by what we can do. And this roster just isn't that good.

This biggest issue is his horrible drafting.  He wouldn't have to rely on overpriced vets as much if he hit on a higher frequency of his picks (especially early picks).  Obviously much better for salary cap purposes to pay a player on a cheap rookie contract.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

This biggest issue is his horrible drafting.  He wouldn't have to rely on overpriced vets as much if he hit on a higher frequency of his picks (especially early picks).  Obviously much better for salary cap purposes to pay a player on a cheap rookie contract.  

An interesting theory I had which I'm not sure I actually believe myself but I'll put out there. You build through the lines. I agree with that for sure. BUT I think maybe they've over focused on the lines to the detriment of other positions.  It sort of limits your downside because your lines are good which keeps you competitive but it limits your upside too because you're typically weaker elsewhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pgcd3 said:

An interesting theory I had which I'm not sure I actually believe myself but I'll put out there. You build through the lines. I agree with that for sure. BUT I think maybe they've over focused on the lines to the detriment of other positions.  It sort of limits your downside because your lines are good which keeps you competitive but it limits your upside too because you're typically weaker elsewhere.

I don't think your off base there ... I have been thinking the same for the past several years.  It's especially true with DL - without looking it seems they invest more high picks on that position group compared to OL (they seem to find mid to late round picks that work out well, like Kelce, Mailata, etc.). 

I know there is always a lot of talk around this time of the year about not having drafted a LB in round 1 since 1979.  But when was the last time we drafted a CB on day 1?  Twenty years ago (2002 ... Lito).  I really hope that changes this year - would love to see a day 1 pick on a CB (guessing Stingley and Gardner are scooped up ahead of our picks), so hoping for Booth.  And a S on day 2 would be great.  As always though, just need to hit on the right guys.  

How did a rumor about signing a top tier cornerback turn into a Howie bashing thread?

Signing Gilmore or even Nelson would take the pressure off of drafting for need instead of drafting the best player. 

Gilmore would have to be the starter if signed and any corner we draft will sit. We wouldn't need a 1st round corner and could wait for Tariq Wollen in the second. Given Woolen's small college background, a year on the sidelines would probably be beneficial. 

Nelson, on the other hand, would ideally compete with a 1st round pick for the starter job and the loser of that competition would become terrific injury insurance. Nelson would also be quite a bit less expensive.

Given those two scenarios I'd prefer Nelson. 

1 hour ago, Rob331 said:

How did a rumor about signing a top tier cornerback turn into a Howie bashing thread?

Natural reaction. Every Howie makes is scrutinised heavily and for good reason really. He's made a lot of bad moves. He's made some good ones too but he's made a lot of bad ones. 

I don't know why this franchise doesn't hire any one of the other 31 GMs that don't make any bad moves, while drafting great.  I mean if Belichick can do it....oh wait....well, if Kansas City....oh wait.....Tampa...if Tampa can......yikes.

Just now, Vee said:

I don't know why this franchise doesn't hire any one of the other 31 GMs that don't make any bad moves, while drafting great.  I mean if Belichick can do it....oh wait....well, if Kansas City....oh wait.....Tampa...if Tampa can......yikes.

Just because Howie isn't the worst GM in the league doesn't mean he should be the GM here either. 

UK - you just can't give it up. He just signed a 3 year contract.  Given that please talk about what he should do going forward. Dwelling on the past doesn't accomplish anything and surely isn't going to change anyone's opinion. I know you and I feel differently about Howie, but I'm sure we can find things about what we agree on regarding the draft and the rest of free agency if we try. It's also more fun. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Just because Howie isn't the worst GM in the league doesn't mean he should be the GM here either. 

No, but the three year extension he just signed does.

2 hours ago, Vee said:

No, but the three year extension he just signed does.

Correct. And that's why this team will continue to be average. 

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Correct. And that's why this team will continue to be average. 

He was the GM for a Super Bowl win....

13 minutes ago, Vee said:

Seems like drafting Jalen Reagor is more important to many folks than the Super Bowl win was. 

If you listen to the half-empty crown, drafting JJAW is more indicative of Howie's performance than being in the playoffs as often as all but 4 other teams

well i guess since howie is here for the next 3 years we will only be average so there is no point in watching or sitting on a message board all day.

8 hours ago, Vee said:

The outlier in his otherwise very average career as a GM.

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

The outlier in his otherwise very average career as a GM.

Ok, so who are the "elite” GMs in the league then? Without googling.

The fact is, GM is a hard job and it’s pretty damn rare that a team finds one who is consistently good. Every GM has bad offseasons and good offseasons, good moves and bad moves. Howie is probably above average across the league when you consider every aspect of a GM’s job. 

1 hour ago, nipples said:

Ok, so who are the "elite” GMs in the league then? Without googling.

The fact is, GM is a hard job and it’s pretty damn rare that a team finds one who is consistently good. Every GM has bad offseasons and good offseasons, good moves and bad moves. Howie is probably above average across the league when you consider every aspect of a GM’s job. 

I'm not suggesting it is an easy job... But other teams are able to build contending rosters. The Packers, the Niners, Seattle, Kansas, Buffalo, Pittsburgh (until Big Ben fell off a cliff), LA. I mean there are teams who are generally contenders... We are not one of those teams overall. If you want to measure success by making the play offs then sure Howie is good. But he's not built at any point a roster to contend year in and year out. 2017 was a one off. 

59 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'm not suggesting it is an easy job... But other teams are able to build contending rosters. The Packers, the Niners, Seattle, Kansas, Buffalo, Pittsburgh (until Big Ben fell off a cliff), LA. I mean there are teams who are generally contenders... We are not one of those teams overall. If you want to measure success by making the play offs then sure Howie is good. But he's not built at any point a roster to contend year in and year out. 2017 was a one off. 

So the Andy Reid/McNabb years don't count?  I remember everyone here being tired of simply contending...they wanted to win one....now it's back to just contending.  Strange how that happens.

I can see by your response being competitive every year is better than winning a Super Bowl.  I'm going to disagree with your statement.  Not sure how many GMs could have turned the ship around so quickly after the Chip Kelly debacle.  I think we were all expecting to be in worse shape for much longer.

By the way, you can't really put Green Bay as a team with a better GM, can you?  I'm sure their fans would want to run their GM out of town as well.

Most teams only get a one off.  I know everyone thinks you can pull together Dynasties all the time, but there is some luck involved, otherwise guys like Brady and Wilson don't slide as far down as they do in the draft.  It's really hard to pull off a great team without a great QB.  The year the Eagles drafted their moonshot with Wentz just happened to be a bad year.  (The other option, Goff, has not fared better)

8 minutes ago, Vee said:

So the Andy Reid/McNabb years don't count?  I remember everyone here being tired of simply contending...they wanted to win one....now it's back to just contending.  Strange how that happens.

I can see by your response being competitive every year is better than winning a Super Bowl.  I'm going to disagree with your statement.  Not sure how many GMs could have turned the ship around so quickly after the Chip Kelly debacle.  I think we were all expecting to be in worse shape for much longer.

By the way, you can't really put Green Bay as a team with a better GM, can you?  I'm sure their fans would want to run their GM out of town as well.

Most teams only get a one off.  I know everyone thinks you can pull together Dynasties all the time, but there is some luck involved, otherwise guys like Brady and Wilson don't slide as far down as they do in the draft.  It's really hard to pull off a great team without a great QB.  The year the Eagles drafted their moonshot with Wentz just happened to be a bad year.  (The other option, Goff, has not fared better)

The McNabb Andy Reid years when Howie was not GM you mean? Those years? Was Howie instrumental in those years was he?

Say you want about the Green Bay GM and what their fans may think. They routinely make the play offs and they are routinely one of the top seeds. They seem to choke in the big play off games but I'm not sure that's too much on the GM?

I'm not saying that being a contender is better than winning one SB. But isn't the point to be contenders and win the SB? You can't win the SB if you aren't a contender and year in and year out (bar 2017) Howie has built average rosters.

He was a bad GM in his first stint and since he returned he has that one outlier. Other than 2017 it hasn't been good. 

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I’ll give you KC, Seattle, LA and Buffalo. I’ll even throw Baltimore in as a 5th team that is good at remaining in contention with smart roster building. The Packers and Niners I would argue are not building "consistent contending rosters.”

Packers: Come on. They haven’t built a contending roster consistently, they just have the best regular season QB in the league who carries them. The Packers GM has done a pretty **** job in fact. 

Niners: Meh. They’re up and down just as much as the eagles. 6-10, 4-12, 13-3, 6-10, 10-7 over their past five seasons. 

So basically there are five teams in the league with GMs who are pretty consistently putting together contending rosters. I don’t love all of Howie’s decisions, but I’d argue that he’s been one of the top guys outside of those five mentioned.

So are you going to roll the dice and fire him, and just hope the new guy can basically be a top 5 GM? Or do you stick with Howie, who has never assembled a roster with back-to-back losing seasons and has won a super bowl in the past 5 years? With Howie you’re going to be in the playoffs a lot, and we’ve seen them win it all. Fire him and the next GM could be a complete disaster and we find ourselves as another hapless franchise like the Jets. 

• Like 1