NFL rumors: Buzz for Jadeveon Clowney signing with Eagles is growing

EricAllenPick6

From https://www.nj.com/eagles/2020/05/nfl-rumors-buzz-for-jadeveon-clowney-signing-with-eagles-is-growing.html , not much new here.  They do claim that while we have $23 mil in cap space this year we are $55 mil over next season.  How is this gonna work??  

Updated 7:17 AM; Today 7:13 AM
Jadeveon Clowney

Will the Eagles sign former Seahawks defensive end Jadeveon Clowney?AP

shares

More signs are pointing to former Seattle Seahawks defensive end Jadeveon Clowney landing with the Philadelphia Eagles.

On Saturday, radio host Dan Sileo reported the Eagles "have put a deal in front of" Clowney.

The @Eagles have put a deal in front of @clownejd ...The @Seahawks want him back...BUT both deals are near what Clowney thought he was going to get...stay tuned!!

In addition, Houston TV reporter Mark Berman said last week the Eagles, Seahawks, Browns, Ravens and Titans remain on Clowney’s radar.

Also last week, quarterback Carson Wentz talked to NBC Sports Philadelphia’s John Clark about the Eagles possibly signing Clowney, who knocked him out of January’s playoff loss to the Seahawks.

"Listen, at the end of the day, I’ll trust Howie (Roseman) with that,” Wentz said. "That play happened, it is what it is. That’s football. It was an unfortunate way to end season for me personally, but I have respect for Jadeveon, he’s a heck of a player.”

Introducing Eagles Extra: Sign up for a free trial now. Get exclusive news, behind-the-scenes observations and the ability to text directly with reporters

Most observers, including Wentz’s teammates, criticized Clowney for making a late hit on a defenseless player in the playoff matchup.

Still, Wentz said wouldn’t hold the hit against Clowney.

"I don’t think he had any ill will with that hit,” Wentz said. "That’s part of football. But he’s a heck of a player, so I trust Howie to make the right decisions to make our team the best we can be.”

Buy Eagles tickets: StubHub, SeatGeek

The Eagles decided against spending a premium pick on a defensive end in the draft. The organization also hasn’t landed Jacksonville Jaguars defensive end Yannick Ngakoue in a blockbuster trade.

The Eagles currently have $23.5 million in cap space, according to Over The Cap. While that would be enough space to work out a big deal for Clowney this year, spending heavy future funds on the pass rusher could prove to be a problem.

The Eagles are expected to be $50.66 million over the cap next offseason, so adding another big salary to the mix would create an even bigger hole to climb out of next year. Also, adding Clowney would take away rollover cap space from this year as well.

The team also just picked up the fifth-year contract option for former first-round pick, Derek Barnett, who is expected to start this season. While Barnett’s option isn’t guaranteed without injury, the Eagles clearly view Barnett as a long-term contributor at this point in the offseason.

The Eagles are likely to start Barnett opposite longtime starter, Brandon Graham. Behind that duo, the Eagles have homegrown talent like Josh Sweat, Shareef Miller, Joe Ostman and seventh-round rookie Casey Toohill.

While adding Clowney would be welcomed by Wentz, his price tag could be detrimental to the team’s long-term outlook.

(NJ Advance Media’s Mike Kaye contributed to this report.)

If Clowney is an Eagle then he can't hurt Wentz when we face Seattle (as it seems its between the two). But he's not going to be an Eagle.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

If Clowney is an Eagle then he can't hurt Wentz when we face Seattle (as it seems its between the two). But he's not going to be an Eagle.

I would be really, really surprised.

Unless it's a one year deal? Even then I'd be surprised!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I would be really, really surprised.

Unless it's a one year deal? Even then I'd be surprised!

Yeah can't see it. I think they'd rather keep the cap space to roll over. 

• Like 2

That's the same sources as last week, being quoted from last week. We aren't getting Clowney. No matter how many clickbait articles get written. The whole thing was from Clowney's agent, trying to make it seem like he is the new freshness, instead of a dented up can of greenbeans in the bargain bin. Pass.

• Like 3

If the price is right get him. Pass rush is the key to our defense. 

We should have rented him last year, that we all knew was a no brainer and carson certainly agree. If we can get him now for $13 mm a year or less, we should do it. 

Sounds like Howie is in the ballpark money-wise which means Clowney’s price is dropping.  We really need a guy that can wreck the QB from the edge.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Miami said:

Sounds like Howie is in the ballpark money-wise which means Clowney’s price is dropping.  We really need a guy that can wreck the QB from the edge.

Not so sure about that. Didn't one of the tweets suggest the offers from Philadelphia and Seattle were around what Clowney was after?

1 hour ago, Perforator said:

I can't see them spending that much on DE when they have so much tied up in DT

Fair point! They've certainly invested a lot at DT to improve the interior pass rush.

Dileo is a yutz that throws these types of things out there ........check his track record.

No ...... no Clowney...... unless hes on a 1 yr deal.......... I'm betting a multi year deal will make him the next Haynesworth 

• Like 1

Who needs Clowney ... we have Shareef freakin' Miller man!!  

OK seriously though, Clowney averages 5.3 sacks/year (6.4 if you don't factor in his rookie season).  Brandon Graham who has received his fair share of criticism over the years has averaged 5.1 sacks/year including his rookie season (5.7 if you exclude year 2 that he missed due to injury).  Even Derek Barnett has averaged 4.7 sacks/year.  Not sure what Clowney adds that we don't already have other than depth.  He's certainly not worth the money he is aiming for - he is way overvaluing himself.  

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, time2rock said:

OK seriously though, Clowney averages 5.3 sacks/year (6.4 if you don't factor in his rookie season). 

He was getting ~9 sacks per year in his last 2 seasons with Houston.  His sack numbers were not awesome last year, but I think he was hurt a bit?  Still, you're right, his sack numbers are not there. This guy is Mike Mamula v 2.0. 

• Like 1

Clowney is not an elite pass rusher!  Stop it with the nonsense.  

Judging how the media creates rumors, especially during the draft and free agency, I doubt there was any truth to this sh--........they f------ lie to create controversy and talking points.

I believe in our system with the line being healthy, he would have amazing #s. But I rather spend the cap elsewhere. 

• Like 1

Not....gonna....happen.... This is just media click-bait during quarantine.

If it was going to happen it would have already, Howie doesn’t mess around. If I had to guess, maybe Howie did make an offer but Clowney’s agent is shopping it around and now we moved on.

3 hours ago, Mr_Philly said:

If it was going to happen it would have already, Howie doesn’t mess around. If I had to guess, maybe Howie did make an offer but Clowney’s agent is shopping it around and now we moved on.

I don't necessarily agree. Howie may be sitting back and watching how this develops. Now I also don't think we'll move for him or bring him in but I don't think it's necessarily the case that if Howie wanted him he'd be here already.

On 5/12/2020 at 5:04 AM, Steve 17 said:

Dileo is a yutz that throws these types of things out there ........check his track record.

No ...... no Clowney...... unless hes on a 1 yr deal.......... I'm betting a multi year deal will make him the next Haynesworth 

If Howie does this, this would need to be his last year as GM. I don't want a Haynesworth or someone who cheap-shotted two of Eagles QBs. How would Wentz feel about this? I don't want to waste cap space on Clowney. Eagles can trade for Yannick later in season or work with  what they have, who would be more motivated to play.

• Like 1

Dude had 9---count em---9 encroachments last season, including a crucial one that led to a GB TD.

Hard pass.