Dwayne Haskins killed

DBW

16 minutes ago, Dutchman063 said:

Hit by a car?...  wtf....Wonder if we'll ever hear the real story behind this one

I’m hearing he got out of his Truck on a highway 

And it was a dump truck that hit him.  No indication of why he was walking on the highway.  Closed the highway for several hours obviously 

That's really sad to hear. At first thought, I was wondering if alcohol is involved (on the part of the driver that struck him). But if he was walking on a highway, as was mentioned above, now I'm wondering if his vehicle broke down and he decided to walk to wherever he was headed.

5 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

That's really sad to hear. At first thought, I was wondering if alcohol is involved (on the part of the driver that struck him). But if he was walking on a highway, as was mentioned above, now I'm wondering if his vehicle broke down and he decided to walk to wherever he was headed.

Seems most logical situation but tragic and horrible news regardless 

I read that he was crossing 595 by foot which is crazy.  Cars and trucks are zipping along and its like a 8-10 lane expressway.  Regardless, a terrible tragedy.

8 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I read somewhere he ran out of gas, but it wasn't confirmed anywhere else.

Sucks, so young.

Freshest take:

Asked about evaluating Haskins when the quarterback was entering the draft following a historic season at Ohio State, the 90-year-old Brandt described him as "a guy living to be dead," criticized his decision to leave school early and speculated "maybe if he stayed in school a year he wouldn’t do silly things," alluding to Haskins reportedly getting hit by a truck while walking on an interstate for unknown reasons.

:unsure: 

• Sad 1

It's still dark at 6:37 AM in Florida. The sun rises now just after 7.  He should have been running across the highway if he was going to do it and avoid the vehicles.  Don't understand reports that he was walking.  Trying to cross an 8 lane highway is poor risk reward judgement.  A shame to throw away such a promising life.  Who runs out of gas?  There are gas stations everywhere in South FL.  AAA will bring gas to your vehicle when you run out.  Don't get this at all.  

• Like 1

This story really makes me scratch my head. It’s hard to make sense of it. Why was he walking on such a busy highway? Why was he trying to cross such a busy highway? If he broke down, why not call? What are the odds that it would be a dump truck of all vehicles, that would hit him? Really hard to comprehend, and really sad. RIP.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, Kz! said:

Heartbreaking stuff.

That dispatcher should have NEVER told her about that incident on 595. She could have presumed it to be related, but it could just as easily not been. I was a medic for 11 years, I have never heard a dispatch person tell a caller about another active call that wasnt directly linked.  ie: multiple calls for the same accident that was witnessed by multiple callers that all called 911 at the same time. 

47 minutes ago, What The F said:

That dispatcher should have NEVER told her about that incident on 595. She could have presumed it to be related, but it could just as easily not been. I was a medic for 11 years, I have never heard a dispatch person tell a caller about another active call that wasnt directly linked.  ie: multiple calls for the same accident that was witnessed by multiple callers that all called 911 at the same time. 

I was thinking the same thing. It makes me wonder about the training that 911 dispatchers get with regard to how to speak to callers like this. The dispatcher could have dealt with the situation MUCH better than to start off with 'I'm going to be honest with you...' and then go on like she did. 

Maybe their training is to do that the way she did though, I don't know. 

Tragic way to go, I really feel for the person who called 911.  They will need therapy.  

23 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I was thinking the same thing. It makes me wonder about the training that 911 dispatchers get with regard to how to speak to callers like this. The dispatcher could have dealt with the situation MUCH better than to start off with 'I'm going to be honest with you...' and then go on like she did. 

Maybe their training is to do that the way she did though, I don't know. 

Not a cop, but I would have though they would have sent officers to her in person to break that news.  That's really sucky.

On 4/21/2022 at 3:58 PM, LacesOut said:

Who runs out of gas?!?!?!

Ugh. 

Exactly, first thing I look at after I start the engine.