The View From The Couch

Couch Potato

Firstly, a shout out to @Outlaw who put out quite a similar mock to this in another thread - he basically stole my thunder (!) but to hell with it, I'd already got most of this down, so I thought I'd publish it anyway......

There are several trades in this mock, and I’ve tried to make them realistic - all of them are even according to the trade chart.

For player ratings, I have used nflmockdraftdatabase.com, which takes an average of over 60 x big boards from other websites, which hopefully minimises the effect of any 'outliers'. All of the players I’ve selected are available at those spots according to their database.

My prediction for the first dozen picks is: -

3 x EDGE (Hutch, Walker, Thib),
2 x CB (Sauce, Stingley,)
2 x QB (Pickett, Willis)
2 x OT (Neal, Icky)
2 x WR (Wilson, London)
1 x Safety (Hamilton)

Day 1

Trade

Eagles decided to leapfrog the Ravens at 14 for their choice of Jordan Davis and Jermaine Johnson. The Saints comp pick that Howie acquired comes in very handy. Eagles trade #15 & #101 to the Texans for #13.

#13 - DT Jordan Davis (alternative pick Jermaine Johnson*)

I have to say that I’m not 100% convinced about Davis’ motor/stamina, but I cannot deny being intrigued by his unique physical gifts. This gets him a slight nod over JJ, who I do like a lot.

Trade

Chiefs want to leapfrog the Saints for a WR. Eagles (who have eyes on a couple of R2 WRs), receive #30 & #62 for #18.

#30 – DE Arnold Ebiketie (alt pick Devonte Wyatt*)

This guy will be the long-term Brandon Graham replacement. Similar height/relentless motor to BG, not yet as thickly built, but with much longer arms.

By the way, if I knew that David Ojabo would definitely come back from injury the same player, I’d be all over drafting him here. Unfortunately, the risk of a torn Achilles affecting his explosiveness just puts me off.

The only knock on Wyatt for me is his age, (the off the field stuff from a couple of years ago sounds like an irate outburst that stopped short of any physical harm). I keep hearing he could slip to late R1/Day 2, but if the Eagles did want a penetrator at DT instead of the one-in-a-million freakish NT, then Wyatt is the man.

*If they came out of Day 1 with JJ & Wyatt instead of Davis/Arnie I would have no complaints at all.

Day 2

Trade

Colts need a starting LT in the worst way, but simply can’t get one in the draft. Eagles receive Colts #42 for Andre Dillard and #64. This values Dillard as a mid R3 pick, which seems about right to me.

#42 – WR George Pickens (alt pick LB Chad Muma)

Eagles get a guy with a ‘my ball’ mentality who catches pretty much everything thrown his way. Potentially an absolute beast of a WR, just wait until next year when he gets a proper QB throwing him the ball. ;)

#51 – LB Chad Muma (alt pick WR Alec Pierce)

This guy has become a ‘non-negotiable, must have’ in Eagles mocks for me.

Two years ago, I really wanted his Wyoming predecessor, Logan Wilson, for the Eagles at this very spot in the draft. Wilson is now a stud MLB for the Bengals, which he should have been for the Eagles.

Their HC at Wyoming commented on Muma and Wilson "... They're top shelf. You know, to separate them, boy, I think you're talking about a razor-thin margin."

Don’t make the same mistake twice, just get Muma right here, right now. For once, let’s not compromise, let’s have a guy back there who has the full Mike LB package.

Trade

Eagles trade #83 to the Broncos for picks #96 & #116. Plenty of good players still available, so just a value trade to pick up an extra R4 pick.

#96 – OT Max Mitchell (alt pick Safety Bryan Cook/Nick Cross)

Having dealt the one-dimensional Dillard, the Eagles require a versatile young Swing Tackle prospect for Stoutland to coach up. Mitchell is the perfect candidate, IMO.

Now if you tell me that Swing Tackle can wait until Day 3 and that Safety needs addressing first, I hear you. Take your pick of Cook or Cross, both should be solid contributors.

Day 3

#116 – CB Zyon McCollum (alt pick CB Alontae Taylor)

Don’t let the small school tag fool you. McCollum was a three-star recruit all set to go to Utah, but decided to remain nearer to home to play alongside his twin brother. A true ballhawk with 13 INTs in college, who showed his uber athleticism at the Combine. Has the chops to fill in at Safety too, if an in-game emergency arises.

#124 – TE Charlie Kolar (alt pick RB Jerome Ford)

Charlie would be a steal here IMO, he has all the tools you’d want for the position.

#154 – RB Hassan Haskins (alt pick TE Daniel Bellinger)

Looks tailor-made for the Jordan Howard role. No-nonsense runner who can pass protect and doesn’t fumble. Outstanding value here.

#162 – Safety JT Woods (alt pick OT Braxton Jones)

Fast, long and rangy ballhawk. Has all the tools to be a starting FS, just needs some NFL seasoning.

If you already preferred to address Safety at pick 96, then Braxton Jones can be Stout’s Swing Tackle ball of clay here.

#166 – G/C Cade Mays

Has experience at all five OL positions, which is invaluable for a back-end of the roster player. Perfect candidate to stash on the practice squad. Would be a much different type of C than Kelce (Mays is huge, but obviously nowhere near as athletic), but he could certainly stick around and compete for that role in due course.

#237 – P Jordan Stout

Punter is a position of need, and this guy might have a more rounded punter skill set than Matt Araiza. Has performed the role of Kicker, too, so would provide nice emergency cover there if needed.

• Like 1

Love this. I would be of the take Nick Cross over Mitchell crowd, but other than that I would be quite happy with this draft. Kudos.

Really a well thought out post. Thanks. 

BUT - At this time I can't say I'm in tune with any draft that doesn't include a starting corner. 

1 and 1 - I'd much prefer the Johnson and Wyatt tandem to Davis (he only played 30% of snaps at Georgia and didn't play on pass rush downs) and Ebiketie (I think he's too small)

Put a corner in at 51(Booth or Elam) and you'd have a fan for life. 

56 minutes ago, Rob331 said:

BUT - At this time I can't say I'm in tune with any draft that doesn't include a starting corner. 

1 and 1 - I'd much prefer the Johnson and Wyatt tandem to Davis (he only played 30% of snaps at Georgia and didn't play on pass rush downs) and Ebiketie (I think he's too small)

Zyon McCollum has definite CB2 potential. It'll be a comp between him, McPhearson and Gowan. McCollum definitely has the edge on college production (albeit small school, but as mentioned he had the full ride to Utah if he wanted it and would have torn it up there just as much IMO), and athletic measurables.

We already talked about this.

Really love it! Only knock would be that I’d be pretty disappointed if they neglect corner again in the first couple of rounds.

Then again; Howie has a knack for disappointing fans with his draft antics. It would certainly not be the first time I’d be yelling at my screen "WTF are you doing?”.

Although I like McCollum, you’d have a lot of mid to late round corners on the roster. What happens if Slay gets injured or rapidly declines? One of McCollum, Gowan, McPhearson etc would have to step up. A lot to ask from a  corner taken in the 4th or 6th round.

If there is a year Howie should seriously consider taking a corner in the first, it might be this year. Can’t neglect the position and hope a mid to late round guy sticks.

19 hours ago, Rob331 said:

Ebiketie is 6'3" 265.

21 hours ago, Outlaw said:

Zyon McCollum has definite CB2 potential. It'll be a comp between him, McPhearson and Gowan. McCollum definitely has the edge on college production (albeit small school, but as mentioned he had the full ride to Utah if he wanted it and would have torn it up there just as much IMO), and athletic measurables.

Totally agree but I really don't want to enter the season relying on "potential" from a small school guy who hasn't seen the quality he will be up against. i love drafting him, just not with the expectation he starts. 

2 hours ago, Outlaw said:

Ebiketie is 6'3" 265.

Personal preference, I'm more of a fan of DE's at 6'4" plus