Deebo Samuel (49ers WR) -- Potential Trade?

Captain F

16 hours ago, What The F said:

18, Dillard, Reagor, JJAW

Then trade 15 for a 2 picks in the 25-40 range and go Defense with both. 

Fixed

2 hours ago, rrfierce said:

Fixed

Jjaw is about to kill it at TE :ph34r:

I was listening to siriusxm last night on my long drive home and listened to a snippet of a interview with Jimmy G. He says that Deebo is the best player he has ever played with and is a tremendous guy off the field as well.  He has improved year over year and he doesn't know what Deebos beef is with SF.  Also during the show the 2 hosts said that Deebo told SF to not even make him a contract offer and to just trade him.  

We wanted a veteran and playmaker so he’d fit the bill. Would be just what the doctor ordered. Hurts, Sanders and Samuel would be brutal running the ball too.

Samuel would be a great fit in our offense because of what he can do as a runner as well. However, I just don't think now is the time to fork out the kind of compensation that a player of his caliber (and age) will certainly warrant in a trade. Keep in mind that he's already unhappy, so we'd have to make him probably the highest paid WR in the league. The draft picks we have are supposed to help us improve the team and make up for a lot of upcoming dead money hits.

I'd love to have that guy on this team but we, IMO, have 2 very good young WRs with upside (Smith and Watkins). I know not everybody is high on Watkins at this time, but when you watch his tape, the guy is always getting open. Giving up more than a single 1st round pick for a WR is not really a great trade, especially if the move will begin to strain your cap and you have growing needs at other positions --- as well as starting a QB that it seems half the football world has major doubts in. 

7 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Samuel would be a great fit in our offense because of what he can do as a runner as well

Depends what your view of the QB is though. Hurts isn't particularly accurate and YAC does rely on a QBs accuracy.

8 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Samuel would be a great fit in our offense because of what he can do as a runner as well. However, I just don't think now is the time to fork out the kind of compensation that a player of his caliber (and age) will certainly warrant in a trade. Keep in mind that he's already unhappy, so we'd have to make him probably the highest paid WR in the league. The draft picks we have are supposed to help us improve the team and make up for a lot of upcoming dead money hits.

Even if we give up a first and pay him we still got plenty high picks left. I would welcome a proven guy to lead our rookie receivers. Not only to see what we got but to help Smith and Watkins too. Well worth it.

I'd love to have that guy on this team but we, IMO, have 2 very good young WRs with upside (Smith and Watkins). I know not everybody is high on Watkins at this time, but when you watch his tape, the guy is always getting open. Giving up more than a single 1st round pick for a WR is not really a great trade, especially if the move will begin to strain your cap and you have growing needs at other positions --- as well as starting a QB that it seems half the football world has major doubts in. 

Even if you think Hurts isn’t the answer it shouldn’t stop us from getting a 26 year old playmaker. And that we do have Smith and Watkins makes it even more worth it.

And it would be a lot if fun, too.

As for the cap: Yes contracts are exploding. But I think it will get way worse soon. Now may even be a good time to dish out a big contract after all is said and done. And it’s not just an old vet. He just turned 26.

4 hours ago, Infam said:

Even if we give up a first and pay him we still got plenty high picks left. I would welcome a proven guy to lead our rookie receivers. Not only to see what we got but to help Smith and Watkins too. Well worth it.

Even if you think Hurts isn’t the answer it shouldn’t stop us from getting a 26 year old playmaker. And that we do have Smith and Watkins makes it even more worth it.

And it would be a lot if fun, too.

As for the cap: Yes contracts are exploding. But I think it will get way worse soon. Now may even be a good time to dish out a big contract after all is said and done. And it’s not just an old vet. He just turned 26.

I don't think there's any way in the world you get Samuel for just a 1st. The Eagles would pretty much have to top the Tyreek Hill trade to get Samuel (1st team All-Pro) still on his rookie deal from a team hoping to surround its own young, inexperienced QB with talent. As of right now, there is no word about why Samuel requested a trade. Speculation includes his role on the team. So is he even  interested in being a WR/RB that would be such a great fit in our offense? Samuel's production as a WR would likely go down in our offense as well. Also, as much as people want to see our WR production go up and want to believe that bringing in another WR is the answer, I wouldn't be so sure. In Sirianni's offense, one WR is often only out there to block. So my question is, are you willing to give up the equivalent of two 1st round picks (likely mid round) to bring a WR in that may see his production drop in this offense? I know there are people that would love to see us get something for nothing, but if we want to limit draft compensation to a single 1st rd pick, they would probably have to include Smith in the deal. Right now Smith is the WR1 on this team. I would wager that Samuel wants to be that guy on his team. 

Personally, I wouldn't give up that much draft capital to get a WR and then make that WR our highest paid player on the team. The cost outweighs the gains. 

6 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

I don't think there's any way in the world you get Samuel for just a 1st. The Eagles would pretty much have to top the Tyreek Hill trade to get Samuel (1st team All-Pro) still on his rookie deal from a team hoping to surround its own young, inexperienced QB with talent. As of right now, there is no word about why Samuel requested a trade. Speculation includes his role on the team. So is he even  interested in being a WR/RB that would be such a great fit in our offense?

I think teams don’t see him like Hill. Teams see a very good but not great player. And I think teams won’t trade for him in the draft. So after the draft if they can’t get a deal done and it get’s clear he’s not playing- that’s when I see a trade for ‘just a first’ get done.

If the rumors are true and he only wants to play receiver he’d still help us but I doubt he’d even fetch a first.

Samuel's production as a WR would likely go down in our offense as well. Also, as much as people want to see our WR production go up and want to believe that bringing in another WR is the answer, I wouldn't be so sure. In Sirianni's offense, one WR is often only out there to block. So my question is, are you willing to give up the equivalent of two 1st round picks (likely mid round) to bring a WR in that may see his production drop in this offense?

Certainly not. But he’s not Hill/Adams and it’s going to be way less. Promise.

I know there are people that would love to see us get something for nothing, but if we want to limit draft compensation to a single 1st rd pick, they would probably have to include Smith in the deal. Right now Smith is the WR1 on this team. I would wager that Samuel wants to be that guy on his team. 

Nah. I think we just don’t agree on how much it would take.

Personally, I wouldn't give up that much draft capital to get a WR and then make that WR our highest paid player on the team. The cost outweighs the gains. 

Me neither. But for not much more than a first if he’s playing however we like?

Could be a great move.

12 minutes ago, Infam said:

Nah. I think we just don’t agree on how much it would take.

I doubt there's a team in the NFL that wouldn't give up a single 1st for Samuel. I was shocked by what Miami gave up for a Hill --- especially since Hill's baggage nearly cost him his career. Call me crazy, but I think Samuel is every bit the player (by team impact) Hill is. He makes teams pay when the ball is in his hands. 

10 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

I doubt there's a team in the NFL that wouldn't give up a single 1st for Samuel. I was shocked by what Miami gave up for a Hill --- especially since Hill's baggage nearly cost him his career. Call me crazy, but I think Samuel is every bit the player (by team impact) Hill is. He makes teams pay when the ball is in his hands. 

He might be all that. But I doubt teams value him that much.

We’ll see, might be interesting.