Are Eagles Moving to a 3-4 Defense?

Talonblood

5 minutes ago, Talonblood said:

Interesting link by someone who knows football:

https://twitter.com/NBCSPhilly/status/1521251374239002625?s=20&t=VDEITkxkMDGYlUH5ySA9JA

Discuss.

We were mainly a 3-4 defense last year. We played a 3-4 over/under base. Why do you think they signed Riddick? He was a better fit over Avery and Patrick Johnson. 

• Like 6

Yeah, we played 3-4 last year as our "base" personnel. Some 4-3 under too, which is the same alignment. It's not anything new. I think some people didn't really realize it because we are in nickel so often.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

We were mainly a 3-4 defense last year. We played a 3-4 over/under base. Why do you think they signed Riddick? He was a better fit over Avery and Patrick Johnson. 

I saw a LOT of 4-3 last year. I saw some 3-4, but not the real thing- a sort of hybrid. 

2 minutes ago, Talonblood said:

I saw a LOT of 4-3 last year. I saw some 3-4, but not the real thing- a sort of hybrid. 

What you saw was a 3-4 under/over. It looks like a 4-3 with the line up but personal is a LB rushing the edge, not a DE

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

What you saw was a 3-4 under/over. It looks like a 4-3 with the line up but personal is a LB rushing the edge, not a DE

I saw a lot of 4-2-5 nickel and 4-3 lineups. I didn't see very many 3 man fronts last year. Curious if he swings harder to way more 3 man fronts in 2022.

It's funny how we were setup primarily in the nickel but still allowed all QBs to look like TB12. 🤦‍♂️

• Like 4

I think Gannon wants to play multiple fronts and adding Davis and Reddick gives them the chance to do that. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

I think we did that with Taylor for the most part. Yes I’ve seen Edwards rush too, but that was rare.

Now with Dean, Taylor and White we should see a lot more of that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Portyansky said:

It's funny how we were setup primarily in the nickel but still allowed all QBs to look like TB12. 🤦‍♂️

We were one of the best teams limiting big plays. We made them earn it.

Unfortunatly the better teams had no problem taking us down one small cut after the other.

Still, I like the idea. Maybe someday with more than just one playmaker in the secondary..

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Infam said:

Unfortunatly the better teams had no problem taking us down one small cut after the other.

Still, I like the idea. Maybe someday with more than just one playmaker in the secondary..

It’s going to be interesting to see if Gannon can get it turned around. We were essentially a sitting duck all year against any borderline top 10 D. 

We have Davis, Riddick and much better LBs, but the secondary is worse right now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

There is no scheme!

Thats exactly what Gannon said when they asked him

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Infam said:

Limited the big plays yes. But they still had an easy time passing underneath. Only time we did well, was bc of a subpar QB.

I've heard it describes as a 5-2 look which makes sense as well.

Either way one needs a NT that can play zero tech and a LB that can pass rush.

Davis is the NT Riddick is the 5th rusher.

• Like 2

With this roster makeup, it'll be a 7-4.

• Haha 2

Eagles ran a lot of 3-4 base last year that had Fletcher complaining and linebackers looking like a bunch of jokes. They got no real rush and it hurt the defense as a whole with a lack of sacks and a lack of turnovers. Bottomed line is when running a successful 3-4 you need a big man in the middle to take on blocks to free up linebackers and you need talented linebackers to make tacked and rush the passer. Reddick is basically a stand up rush backer. Edwards is a guy who can make tackles. White and Dean are smaller guys with speed who can show off that speed as long as the big guys up front (Davis) can keep the lineman off of them. To me this seems like the team is planning to go 3-4 and the fact they actually invested in the linebackers kinds of proves it. 

• Like 2

How will the front line up exactly?

Davis as NT, Cox and Hargrave DE, Graham (DE and OLB), Reddick, Johnson, White Rotating at OLB, Dean and? at ILB?

55 minutes ago, mihailo said:

How will the front line up exactly?

Davis as NT, Cox and Hargrave DE, Graham (DE and OLB), Reddick, Johnson, White Rotating at OLB, Dean and? at ILB?

I’m not sure how well BG fits a defense that primarily runs a 3-4. I can’t see him consistently winning as a 3-4 DE, and with his age and coming off the injury I don’t know that he has the athleticism to play that LB/edge rusher role anymore. 

1 hour ago, nipples said:

I’m not sure how well BG fits a defense that primarily runs a 3-4. I can’t see him consistently winning as a 3-4 DE, and with his age and coming off the injury I don’t know that he has the athleticism to play that LB/edge rusher role anymore. 

That was my concern. I think it was the few year around 2014 when the Eagles ran the 3-4 he had less production at OLB, at this point I cannot see it being much if any better. I thought they played the 3-4 because of BG going down and being limited at DE. I missed Josh Sweat from my previous post.

21 hours ago, Talonblood said:

Interesting link by someone who knows football:

https://twitter.com/NBCSPhilly/status/1521251374239002625?s=20&t=VDEITkxkMDGYlUH5ySA9JA

Discuss.

It's possible that they play some 3-4 looks but I don't think they are going to commit to a doing that change again the DC will likely land a HC job next year given how close he came this hiring cycle.

• Like 2

On 5/3/2022 at 11:37 PM, RememberTheKoy said:

It's possible that they play some 3-4 looks but I don't think they are going to commit to a doing that change again the DC will likely land a HC job next year given how close he came this hiring cycle.

Agreed and also I think it plays in a little to Gannon saying he has no scheme. He wants to be flexible and set up differently dependent on the opposing offense. 

• Like 1

"Our run defense has gotten a lot better, with a lot of the additions that we made,” Graham told reporters on Wednesday. "Then on top of that we want to get after the quarterback: 34 defense, you need somebody in the middle that can take two [guys], maybe three [guys] sometimes.” 

• Like 1