Are Eagles Moving to a 3-4 Defense?

Talonblood

7 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Agreed and also I think it plays in a little to Gannon saying he has no scheme. He wants to be flexible and set up differently dependent on the opposing offense. 

Yeah he says that but last year seemed like he played the same vanilla defense no matter who the opponent. Hopefully he shows off a little more creativity with some more tools at his disposal this season. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Yeah he says that but last year seemed like he played the same vanilla defense no matter who the opponent. Hopefully he shows off a little more creativity with some more tools at his disposal this season. 

And look I hammered him for that but some of that was down to the personnel he had.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2022 at 3:37 PM, EazyEaglez said:

Eagles ran a lot of 3-4 base last year that had Fletcher complaining and linebackers looking like a bunch of jokes. They got no real rush and it hurt the defense as a whole with a lack of sacks and a lack of turnovers. Bottomed line is when running a successful 3-4 you need a big man in the middle to take on blocks to free up linebackers and you need talented linebackers to make tacked and rush the passer. Reddick is basically a stand up rush backer. Edwards is a guy who can make tackles. White and Dean are smaller guys with speed who can show off that speed as long as the big guys up front (Davis) can keep the lineman off of them. To me this seems like the team is planning to go 3-4 and the fact they actually invested in the linebackers kinds of proves it. 

Agreed. I think 3-4 Under/Over and 5-2 will be seen more this year now that they have better personnel for it at LB and NT.

Sweat/Barnett---Hargrave/Cox---Davis/Ellis---Graham/Williams---Reddick/Johnson

Dean/Edwards     White/Taylor

That's a nice 5-2 rotation.

In the 3-4...

Hargrave/Cox---Davis/Ellis---Graham/Williams

White/Taylor             Dean                   Edwards                        Reddick/Johnson

• Like 2

Eagles ran a lot of 3-4 base last year that had Fletcher complaining and linebackers looking like a bunch of jokes. They got no real rush and it hurt the defense as a whole with a lack of sacks and a lack of turnovers. Bottomed line is when running a successful 3-4 you need a big man in the middle to take on blocks to free up linebackers and you need talented linebackers to make tacked and rush the passer. Reddick is basically a stand up rush backer. Edwards is a guy who can make tackles. White and Dean are smaller guys with speed who can show off that speed as long as the big guys up front (Davis) can keep the lineman off of them. To me this seems like the team is planning to go 3-4 and the fact they actually invested in the linebackers kinds of proves it. 

This seems right.  Avery was the rushing LB last season.  Signing Riddick, drafting Davis and adding LB who can cover and tackle are clear signs of the direction. 

Guess that they don't care if Cox likes it or not, since he is only for one more season.  Problem is what if Gannon moves on next season and a new DC switches back to the old 4-3?  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Penn7980 said:

This seems right.  Avery was the rushing LB last season.  Signing Riddick, drafting Davis and adding LB who can cover and tackle are clear signs of the direction. 

Guess that they don't care if Cox likes it or not, since he is only for one more season.  Problem is what if Gannon moves on next season and a new DC switches back to the old 4-3?  

I think if this defense drastically improves from last season then Gannon is almost a lock for a HC job. We have to hope and assume one of the other coaches can take over and run the defense. If they’re putting in the work to run a 3-4 base then they will probably keep it that way until they get a new head coach with a different philosophy. 

If they were playing mostly 3-4 last season, it explains all the flack Cox got for not putting up big stats. You need a stuffer containing the middle to free up attackers coming in from the edges. Jordan Davis is built like a traditional NT, so it'll probably be a lot more 3-4 and 5-2 looks. But they like to substitute on defense so much, it's hard for me to tell what the base scheme is. They're always swapping personnel and moving guys around.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2022 at 1:19 AM, Bwestbrook36 said:

There is no scheme!

Actually, there is a LOT of truth to that- Gannon not knowing what he is doing n all.... 

• Haha 1

Gannon tried to force his "scheme", instead of playing to the strengths of his personnel. Now that he has a little more to work with, let's see what he does. I'm still not a Gannon fan.
SHOW ME. 😂

On 5/6/2022 at 4:05 AM, EazyEaglez said:

I think if this defense drastically improves from last season then Gannon is almost a lock for a HC job. We have to hope and assume one of the other coaches can take over and run the defense. If they’re putting in the work to run a 3-4 base then they will probably keep it that way until they get a new head coach with a different philosophy. 

I mean if the defense is good enough in the 3-4 that it results in a HC job for Gannon, then I’d like to think they’d hire another 3-4 DC to take over. 

2 hours ago, Talonblood said:

Actually, there is a LOT of truth to that- Gannon not knowing what he is doing n all.... 

I'm not on this level with you yet, if I'm wrong I still be here!

• Haha 1

On 5/17/2022 at 12:06 PM, Talonblood said:

Gannon tried to force his "scheme", instead of playing to the strengths of his personnel. Now that he has a little more to work with, let's see what he does. I'm still not a Gannon fan.
SHOW ME. 😂

Overall I just don’t think he had the talent to do the things he wanted to do, but now he clearly can’t make that excuse anymore so he better show us this year. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/17/2022 at 1:27 PM, nipples said:

I mean if the defense is good enough in the 3-4 that it results in a HC job for Gannon, then I’d like to think they’d hire another 3-4 DC to take over. 

The Eagles generally like to hire within with coaches, but I’m sure they could decide to hire outside as well.