Inquirer: Super Bowl or bust for Hurts, Eagles

Hawkeye

I think its a fair article. If not the SB then at least winning the division. Wentz in 2017 didnt have as many elite weapons and won 13 games.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is just turning into another Hurts thread.... 

I think, right now, I'd like to see a more active and intimidating defense, an offense that spreads the ball around and can be efficient. 

It's going to take some game time for the defense to jell with so many new guys.

The biggest goal is always the super bowl......but winning the first game, not losing to an underdog and winning division games are significant milestones to putting themselves in a better position to attack that goal.  Consistency with a young team is always the hardest to achieve.  

Win early and build confidence.......don't get caught up in media hype and looking past opponents.

Those are all team goals.  But the eagles have a number of individual players that need to improve starting with Hurts.  But Barnett, Reagor, Sanders and Epps need to show that they can be productive and effective....Cox, Graham and Harris have to show they're not washed up......After Smith and Brown, the WRs need to be viable options for Hurts.  The rookies and FA acquisitions have to acclimate to the new system and contribute.  And, as always, the depth players need to be able to come in and play well.

So yeah, the super bowl is the goal.......but they have a ton of work to do to even make that a possibility.

This year doesn't need to be "Super Bowl or bust" but the bar should be raised over last season’s progression.  Coming off a surprise playoff appearance last year, we've made some really nice additions to the roster (obviously on paper looks good but need to see how it all comes together on the field).  Schedule seems somewhat easy (relatively speaking).  It should be expected that Hurts takes another step forward (maybe not enough to take a firm grasp at the starting QB spot for the foreseeable future but that is another conversation - he should at least be better than 2021).  If he does, then simply making the playoffs again and getting bounced in the first round would be a huge disappointment.  Personally I think a minimum of 1 playoff win should be the bar - 2 playoff wins to earn a trip to the NFCCG would then set the "Super Bowl or bust" expectation for 2023.  

• Like 2

If there was ever a city that would stop labeling teams "Super Bowl or bust”, it should be Philly but as usual, we never learn.

Winning a super bowl is extremely difficult,  no matter how well prepared you are. The eagles have had several "Super Bowl or bust” teams, each of which busted. Each and every single one.

The one Super Bowl we got, the head coach’s DC was being interviewed for the head coach’s job week 1 of the season.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, NJWolverEagle11 said:

08 cut me deep. I had a friend over to watch the superbowl but I jus couldn't bear to watch the cards there when it shoulda been us

By 08, I was just glad they got that far. 01 loss to Tampa showed me that team was never going to win a Super Bowl. 

• Like 1

I'm not a big Hurts guy, obviously. That said, this is unfair to him. If he can actually improve overall and get to the point where he can beat good teams with his arm and we make some noise, I'd call it a win. 

If he goes out and throws 34 TDs and has a 64% completion percentage and we don't win the SB, it's still a good season. 

Not holding my breath, but yeah.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, NOTW said:

By 08, I was just glad they got that far. 01 loss to Tampa showed me that team was never going to win a Super Bowl. 

Well thank God for 2017

1 hour ago, Swoop said:

I'm not a big Hurts guy, obviously. That said, this is unfair to him. If he can actually improve overall and get to the point where he can beat good teams with his arm and we make some noise, I'd call it a win. 

If he goes out and throws 34 TDs and has a 64% completion percentage and we don't win the SB, it's still a good season. 

I think that’s the most positive thing I’ve seen you say about hurts 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, rrfierce said:

I think that’s the most positive thing I’ve seen you say about hurts 

It might be! 

I've said it a million times, I hope he proves a lot of us wrong and turns into Wilson. Our franchise would be in a great spot. 

I just don't see it happening.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2022 at 5:05 PM, Mike030270 said:

If Hurts gets us to there with his passing ability then no

What if Hurts gets us there with his leadership while not Hurting the team with his passing (Pun intended)?

More seriously though, I expect JH to make a significant leap in his on field QB play this year (I'm not expecting last years Hurts to evolve into this years Dan Marino. His intangibles are awesome and they should make him an awesome coach some day. But the bottom line always was / is his actual play on the field. He gets this year (or at least a big chunk of it) to show he can be an NFL QB. 

On 5/20/2022 at 7:40 PM, RememberTheKoy said:

Jalen Hurts has the people thinking toilet bowl for a good team

FYP

16 hours ago, Swoop said:

He said close, which is arbitrary, but one and done won't cut it either way. Winning a home WC game against a team that squeaked in then losing because of him in the next round won't either.  He plays a ton of bad teams this year, so numbers and inflated stats don't matter. Bottom line is the article is correct in that  if it wasn't for him they should be NFCCG contenders at the very least. 

12 minutes ago, Diehardfan said:

He said close, which is arbitrary, but one and done won't cut it either way. Winning a home WC game against a team that squeaked in then losing because of him in the next round won't either.  He plays a ton of bad teams this year, so numbers and inflated stats don't matter. Bottom line is the article is correct in that  if it wasn't for him they should be NFCCG contenders at the very least. 

I'm not disagreeing with that. I'm saying it's kinda stupid to say if he doesn't win a SB this season he needs to go, depending on his play. 

This is really pointless though, because the chances of him playing at an MVP level is slim to none.

• Like 1

Local media is like most media- hype machines. This team made the playoffs and got bounced in round 1. Fine. Improvement this year? Make the playoffs and get past the 1st round. That's improvement. If they go further- like we all want, fine. To to say the Eagles MUST win it all this year is pure BS.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nivraga said:

What if Hurts gets us there with his leadership while not Hurting the team with his passing (Pun intended)?

More seriously though, I expect JH to make a significant leap in his on field QB play this year (I'm not expecting last years Hurts to evolve into this years Dan Marino. His intangibles are awesome and they should make him an awesome coach some day. But the bottom line always was / is his actual play on the field. He gets this year (or at least a big chunk of it) to show he can be an NFL QB. 

Why?

4 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

Why?

I'm not sure what you're asking. But if I were to guess at your inquiry then my answer would be - my use of "expect" is probably not exactly as what you are reading. 

So I think most of us (though some reluctantly / begrudgingly) agree that Hurts has all the intangibles you want in a leader / QB. What he lacks is an NFL arm. Where most of us really disagree is on whether the cause of his deficiency is correctable or not. I think his lack of arm is mostly about mechanics. I think it's correctable. The question is time ... there in lies the rub.

Due in part to a lack of attractive alternatives at the moment, I'm willing to give Hurts and his intangibles this off season and in season to show significant improvement (obviously its not up to me but I'm in favor of it)  that expectation is more or less a demand. For me (as a fan with very little influence on the subject) to endorse Hurts as the QB beyond this season, I need to see that improvement this year. Hurts might not ever be more than he is right now. Or it might take 5 years to get to the "franchise level". I'm not waiting 5 years. The Eagles don't owe Hurts anything. If there was a real viable alternative (and don't give me Minshew) I would be advocating that - but considering their options, the Eagles owe it to themselves to find out what he is. 

I just want to add - this isn't just "eh, the Eagles don't have a better option so lets give Hurts another year." This is IMO, ALL things considered, finding out about Hurts is the Eagles best option and in their best interest. 

• Like 1

I would say right now... If the moves they've made work out they'll are a top 4 team in the NFC. Packers are better, Niners are better and Rams are better. Other than that? You can make cases for other teams but you can make a case for the Eagles too. So yeah they have a chance to have a really good year. Do I think they'll make the SB? No to be honest I don't but in the NFC they can be in the mix. 

3 hours ago, Nivraga said:

I'm not sure what you're asking. But if I were to guess at your inquiry then my answer would be - my use of "expect" is probably not exactly as what you are reading. 

So I think most of us (though some reluctantly / begrudgingly) agree that Hurts has all the intangibles you want in a leader / QB. What he lacks is an NFL arm. Where most of us really disagree is on whether the cause of his deficiency is correctable or not. I think his lack of arm is mostly about mechanics. I think it's correctable. The question is time ... there in lies the rub.

Due in part to a lack of attractive alternatives at the moment, I'm willing to give Hurts and his intangibles this off season and in season to show significant improvement (obviously its not up to me but I'm in favor of it)  that expectation is more or less a demand. For me (as a fan with very little influence on the subject) to endorse Hurts as the QB beyond this season, I need to see that improvement this year. Hurts might not ever be more than he is right now. Or it might take 5 years to get to the "franchise level". I'm not waiting 5 years. The Eagles don't owe Hurts anything. If there was a real viable alternative (and don't give me Minshew) I would be advocating that - but considering their options, the Eagles owe it to themselves to find out what he is. 

I just want to add - this isn't just "eh, the Eagles don't have a better option so lets give Hurts another year." This is IMO, ALL things considered, finding out about Hurts is the Eagles best option and in their best interest. 

Whats wrong with Minshew?

18 minutes ago, opa-opa said:

Whats wrong with Minshew?

I don't know why don't you ask one of the other 30 teams that wouldn't offer a 6th for him when he left Jacksonville or a toot on a tin whistle for him faced with the weakest QB draft class in a decade.

2 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

I don't know why don't you ask one of the other 30 teams that wouldn't offer a 6th for him when he left Jacksonville or a toot on a tin whistle for him faced with the weakest QB draft class in a decade.

And yet his numbers are night and day better than Hurts. 

Scary, isn't it?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Swoop said:

And yet his numbers are night and day better than Hurts. 

Scary, isn't it?

Night and day is a huge reach on your part, as is demonstrated by the lack of trade interest. In one and a half seasons as starter in Jacksonville he beat 2 teams that were above .500,  isn't that one of the chief exhibits for the prosecution on Hurts?

8 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Night and day is a huge reach on your part, as is demonstrated by the lack of trade interest. In one and a half seasons as starter in Jacksonville he beat 2 teams that were above .500,  isn't that one of the chief exhibits for the prosecution on Hurts?

The Jags truly have a rich history of strong rosters and great coaching.

• Haha 1

Oh, forgot to mention: 

In 30 games (19 starts) Hurts has a total of 5,343 yards with 35 total TDs and 13 INT. His completion percentage is 59 on his career. His TD% is 3.8 and his INT% is 2.2. He has a QB rating of 84.7 and a QBR of 41.15

In 27 games (22 starts) Minshew has a total of 6,487 yards with 42 total TDs and 12 INT. His completion percentage is 63.2 on his career. His TD% is 4.8 and his INT% is 1.4. He has a QB rating of 93.9 and a QBR of 49.7

So yeah, pretty obvious that Minshew over three less games (though, 3 more starts) is better in every way aside from strictly running the ball. It's not close. 

• Like 1