Myles Murphy (Clemson EDGE) -- DRAFTED BY CINCINNATI #28

time2rock

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/27/2022 at 4:30 PM, nipples said:

Hell no. If you have a chance at a top 5 player, you get him. If this team was full of holes then sure, trade it for multiple picks. But when you’re a contender and have a shot at one of the premium talents in the draft you need to take him. 

I feel the same. But given that the draft is a big gamble three high picks have better odds than one very high pick.

I’ll be happy either way. It’s just so rare to have a QB and a good team and a top pick.

• 2 weeks later...

Murphy declaring.

Myles Murphy declares for NFL Draft

Posted by Josh Alper on December 14, 2022, 6:32 AM EST

One of the top defensive ends in the college ranks has declared for the 2023 NFL Draft.

Myles Murphy announced that he will not be joining Clemson in the Orange Bowl as he turns his attention to preparing for his professional career. Murphy is widely projected to be a first round pick next April.

"It really came fast,” Murphy said, via Pete Thamel of ESPN.com. "Three years ago today, I was getting ready to head to Clemson. It was a really fast transition. Now there’s a transition to the next level and next chapter of my life. Every big decision that I make, I go back to the family and make it a family and team decision. We all agreed on and thought it was the best decision.”

Murphy had 40 tackles, 11 tackles for loss, 6.5 sacks, and a forced fumble this season. He had 36 tackles for loss and 18.5 sacks over three collegiate seasons.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/12/14/myles-murphy-declares-for-nfl-draft/

The buzz has been that Tyree Jackson is DE2 in this draft, ahead of Murphy.

I haven’t seen a single Texas Tech game so I can’t comment, but they say Jackson’s measurable and physical tools are better than Murphy’s.

31 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

The buzz has been that Tyree Jackson is DE2 in this draft, ahead of Murphy.

I haven’t seen a single Texas Tech game so I can’t comment, but they say Jackson’s measurable and physical tools are better than Murphy’s.

Likely, from what I’ve seen of Tyree Wilson is he is more fast than quick and probably has 35”+ arms. So, he mostly tries to bullrush with a running start from a 2pt stance and use his length to walk back the OT or leverage a shoulder. If he gets stymied he chops and swims. Very wide wingspan to disrupt play around him and nice speed for games and pursuit. My feeling is that Murphy is a bit more refined with his counters and a little more of a threat turning the corner.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Waiting4Someday said:

Likely, from what I’ve seen of Tyree Wilson is he is more fast than quick and probably has 35”+ arms. So, he mostly tries to bullrush with a running start from a 2pt stance and use his length to walk back the OT or leverage a shoulder. If he gets stymied he chops and swims. Very wide wingspan to disrupt play around him and nice speed for games and pursuit. My feeling is that Murphy is a bit more refined with his counters and a little more of a threat turning the corner.

Interesting, he looks quite the physical specimen. His combine workout will be very interesting to watch.

7 hours ago, D-Shiznit said:

Interesting, he looks quite the physical specimen. His combine workout will be very interesting to watch.

I’d guess he’ll kill it - long speed for the 40, nice burst for the 10 yard split, COD is OK at least for the 3-cone. His warts I believe are technique related (hand usage, moves) and getting out quick and low around the corner. He seems currently built to beat Andre Dillard, but to have problems with Mailata if you get what I mean.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Just now, Godfather said:

I'll be happy if he falls to 10

He should probably be the 3rd non-QB player to be selected.

1 minute ago, Waiting4Someday said:

He should probably be the 3rd non-QB player to be selected.

I think 2 Oline go within the top 8

5 minutes ago, Godfather said:

I think 2 Oline go within the top 8

Certainly possible, the Ohio State kid has the tools but I'm worried that Skoronski doesn't... he isn't Quentin Nelson, so much of his value is about whether he can play LT despite the lack of length.  It's early but I haven't really considered Anton Harrison or Broderick Jones as top-10 threats. 

40 minutes ago, Waiting4Someday said:

Certainly possible, the Ohio State kid has the tools but I'm worried that Skoronski doesn't... he isn't Quentin Nelson, so much of his value is about whether he can play LT despite the lack of length.  It's early but I haven't really considered Anton Harrison or Broderick Jones as top-10 threats. 

Cards and Bears both desperately need oline help. Possibly of a guy like Murphy dropping to us would be nice

On 1/18/2023 at 10:01 AM, Godfather said:

Cards and Bears both desperately need oline help. Possibly of a guy like Murphy dropping to us would be nice

There’s a shot according to the computer.

75934C37-F48F-499E-AF5D-8E27427536BF.jpeg

Just now, Waiting4Someday said:

There’s a shot according the computer.

Is that with Porter Jr and Gonzalez being selected before the 10th pick? 

6 minutes ago, Godfather said:

Is that with Porter Jr and Gonzalez being selected before the 10th pick? 

Just Gonzalez, but it did throw away a pick on Richardson.

1 hour ago, Waiting4Someday said:

Just Gonzalez, but it did throw away a pick on Richardson.

I feel like some team will do something stupid and trade up for him

5 minutes ago, Godfather said:

I feel like some team will do something stupid and trade up for him

Probably - you want take a shot on him in the 20s-30s go for it, I guess - but top 10 your passing on a player that can help you now.

• Like 1

Just now, Waiting4Someday said:

Probably - you want take a shot on him in the 20s-30s go for it, I guess - but top 10 your passing on player that can help you now.

I wonder who that team will be

4 minutes ago, Godfather said:

I wonder who that team will be

Seems like a typical WAS move.

On 1/18/2023 at 6:20 AM, Waiting4Someday said:

Broderick Jones is definitely on my radar at pick #10. He can start at while Lane is still active, and then move over to RT.

with that said I would love having Murphy at #10.  We couldn’t go wrong with either of those two.

On 1/23/2023 at 3:37 PM, Waiting4Someday said:

There’s a shot according to the computer.

I would replace Vorhees with TCU’s Steve Avila, but I love your first three picks.

1 hour ago, mattwill said:

Broderick Jones is definitely on my radar at pick #10. He can start at while Lane is still active, and then move over to RT.

with that said I would love having Murphy at #10.  We couldn’t go wrong with either of those two.

I definitely like Jones for ZBS, and he has all the tools - just needs to get coached up a bit (so time is needed, not exactly plug and play). I’ll be much more enthusiastic if Isaac is allowed to walk - otherwise I’m reticent to put a top-10 selection on reserve duty.

1 hour ago, mattwill said:

I would replace Vorhees with TCU’s Steve Avila, but I love your first three picks.

While they both have versatility, G/T and C/G respectively, I prefer Vorhees in the ZBS as he is a better mover.  Both are a solid value in the 3rd, I’m not sure if the computer will allow me a choice in another month.

19 minutes ago, Godfather said:

Feels like this is the guy

Byron Young who's a really good edge prospect out of Tennessee is turning 25 in March... how much do you think that degrades his draft stock?