Myles Murphy (Clemson EDGE) -- DRAFTED BY CINCINNATI #28

time2rock

8 hours ago, Waiting4Someday said:

Byron Young who's a really good edge prospect out of Tennessee is turning 25 in March... how much do you think that degrades his draft stock?

4th rd? Not sure

On 1/30/2023 at 5:44 AM, Waiting4Someday said:

Byron Young who's a really good edge prospect out of Tennessee is turning 25 in March... how much do you think that degrades his draft stock?

I doubt it changes his stock at all. Rookie contracts aren't raised because of age. You may be trading a little longevity for a little more maturity from the beginning. 

2 hours ago, brkmsn said:

I doubt it changes his stock at all. Rookie contracts aren't raised because of age. You may be trading a little longevity for a little more maturity from the beginning. 

I still have nightmares about when we took a 57 year old fireman in the first round….

Am I completely off-base if I just can't get excited about Murphy with the #10?  Granted, I'm not an expert.  And I haven't really studied him.  But I did watch a few games & highlights & such - with seeing Murphy as my specific goal - and I just didn't see him truly stand out.  He seemed like a good player on a good line, but he didn't seem like a killer.  He didn't seem like a guy who was going to blow up a game.  With the #10 being such a rare commodity, I'd like to see us get somebody who's amazing.  Murphy seems like another Barnett - decent, but not likely to be All-Pro anytime in the foreseeable future.

Am I wrong?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ilikepargo said:

Am I completely off-base if I just can't get excited about Murphy with the #10?  Granted, I'm not an expert.  And I haven't really studied him.  But I did watch a few games & highlights & such - with seeing Murphy as my specific goal - and I just didn't see him truly stand out.  He seemed like a good player on a good line, but he didn't seem like a killer.  He didn't seem like a guy who was going to blow up a game.  With the #10 being such a rare commodity, I'd like to see us get somebody who's amazing.  Murphy seems like another Barnett - decent, but not likely to be All-Pro anytime in the foreseeable future.

Am I wrong?

To me, at some point we need to draft a CB that can start. We can't continue to pass up the better prospects each year. If we find a way to retain Bradberry (very unlikely), we can probably put it off one more season, but the it doesn't appear any of the numerous prospects other than McPhearson were able to even stick, let alone develop. That approach hasn't paid off. Personally, I'm kind of leaning toward Porter because that NFL pedigree.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, brkmsn said:

To me, at some point we need to draft a CB that can start. We can't continue to pass up the better prospects each year. If we find a way to retain Bradberry (very unlikely), we can probably put it off one more season, but the it doesn't appear any of the numerous prospects other than McPhearson were able to even stick, let alone develop. That approach hasn't paid off. Personally, I'm kind of leaning toward Porter because that NFL pedigree.

Yeah but IMO there isn’t a CB in this draft who is worth a pick that high. 

12 minutes ago, nipples said:

That's what people here were saying two years ago about Surtain. If the team is comfortable with several prospects at the position, they can always move back a bit. But if their preferred guy is there at 10, just get him. Staying put and grabbing a guy a few picks early is cheaper than moving up a few spots to get the guy you want (which is something we do almost every year).

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, nipples said:

I'm comfortable with either Gonzalez or Witherspoon at 10 - typically, I'd push for DE but the production just wasn't great for that next tier of players behind Anderson.  It feels like ay best you'll be waiting until year 2 for these guys to get up to speed and at worst... no sure things (the CBs seem like safer picks that can contribute right away). 

• Like 1

On 2/2/2023 at 9:18 AM, brkmsn said:

I think age gets factored into their projected ceiling, so it does have an effect.  The idea that an old prospect will be exiting their prime by the time their 2nd contract comes around and that is a bad thing... is probably overstated (4 years of good service is valuable).  

• 2 weeks later...

Seem like the opinions of Myles Murphy have cooled, due to a lack of eye popping production.  I imagine he'll get a boost at the combine, as he moves very well for a DE in the 270s.

image.png.f1e54f6a3dbd3d87b4ec18039fa03583.png

• Thanks 1

On 2/16/2023 at 11:19 AM, Waiting4Someday said:

Seem like the opinions of Myles Murphy have cooled, due to a lack of eye popping production.  I imagine he'll get a boost at the combine, as he moves very well for a DE in the 270s.

I'm liking that return for moving down just 2 spots.  Especially since we currently have no picks in either the 4th or 5th (also none in the 6th).  Highly doubt Howie goes until the end of day 3 to make his next pick after day 2 concludes.  Pretty much in line with what we gave up to move up 2 spots for Davis this year (1 4th and 2 5ths).  

50 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I'm liking that return for moving down just 2 spots.  Especially since we currently have no picks in either the 4th or 5th (also none in the 6th).  Highly doubt Howie goes until the end of day 3 to make his next pick after day 2 concludes.  Pretty much in line with what we gave up to move up 2 spots for Davis this year (1 4th and 2 5ths).  

Yeah - I try not to ripoff the simulator by keeping 'likeliness to be accepted number' as close to 100% as possible.  HOU also has more picks than they can possibly use this draft, so I do expect them to want to move up or trade 2023 picks for 2024 picks.    

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, if we want Murphy, trade back, pick up a few late round picks. I expect this is what Howie will do. 

5 hours ago, jsdarkstar said:

Yes, if we want Murphy, trade back, pick up a few late round picks. I expect this is what Howie will do. 

I have a feeling Murphy is rated higher on NFL draft boards than us fans. The man is a solid pass rusher and is excellent against the run. I dont think the Eagles can trade down and comfortably think he is going to fall to where ever they trade down to. I think he is another dark horse pick with Paris Johnson at 10. It is all going to depend on what kind of defense the Eagles are going to run because Murphy is a straight up 4-3 DE

I tend to agree that he could be the pick at 10.  Cant believe all the mocks necessarily. Those have proven fairly inaccurate after the slam dunk picks

On 2/3/2023 at 9:30 AM, Waiting4Someday said:

I'd push for DE but the production just wasn't great for that next tier of players behind Anderson. 

As I've said before, it's hard to judge a prospect who's had good years before their last year in college because many are protecting themselves against injury.

With that said, I wasn't impressed with Anderson this year at all.

When I see any mocks that have us taking a WR in the 1st(there aren't many) , I pass by it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Portyansky said:

When I see any mocks that have us taking a WR in the 1st(there aren't many) , I pass by it

Yes, the ‘we need to be better at WR3 week’ - JSN would still be a nice get at 30.

On 3/21/2023 at 6:20 AM, Waiting4Someday said:

Yes, the ‘we need to be better at WR3 week’ - JSN would still be a nice get at 30.

I think we broke PFF now they want you to pay for draft simulations hahaha. They nurfed it to 2 rounds and a daily limit :lol:

38 minutes ago, judunno said:

I think we broke PFF now they want you to pay for draft simulations hahaha. They nurfed it to 2 rounds and a daily limit :lol:

Oh well, is TDN ever going to get their mock machine going? I like their rankings, but they seem to be working on a paywall as well (you’d think they could figure out a better way to monetize the traffic).

8 minutes ago, Waiting4Someday said:

Oh well, is TDN ever going to get their mock machine going? I like their rankings, but they seem to be working on a paywall as well (you’d think they could figure out a better way to monetize the traffic).

I've been messing with this one.

https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/mock-draft-simulator

1 hour ago, judunno said:

The interface is good, but it seems to default towards high variability from their board (e.g., Bryce Young is the #2 player on the their big board, but was available at 10 twice in a row - once would’ve been weird).

• 4 weeks later...

Someone earlier brought up the Derek Barnett comp for Murphy and that's kind of what I see as well; maybe with a chance to be a little better? I dunno. He doesn't move the needle enough for me to take at 10 ... didn't seem that he got much better over his 3 years at Clemson. To me he's closer to a 20-25 pick than a top 10 prospect. 

I think if Murphy is on the board, I think he is the pick at 10. Best run defender of all DEs in the draft and has high upside as a pass rusher. If I had to bet, I think he ends up being the best DE in the class when it’s all said and done

• Like 1

On 4/21/2023 at 11:46 PM, philafan4o8 said:

I think if Murphy is on the board, I think he is the pick at 10. Best run defender of all DEs in the draft and has high upside as a pass rusher. If I had to bet, I think he ends up being the best DE in the class when it’s all said and done

This is feeling more and more like the pick. I think you're right unless there's a miraculous trade up. Just based on how things may fall.