Wong's Money League

Shepard Wong

20 minutes ago, downundermike said:

I think in person is all about feel.  Last year, my big $$$ league ( finished second by 1 point in the finals ) I absolutely killed it on draft day.

Based on our leagues scoring, I drafted the following final ranked players in a 12 team league

QB - Rodgers ( 6 )

RB - Taylor ( 1 ) Conner ( 5 ) Jacobs ( 17 ) Swift ( 22 )

WR - Kupp ( 1 ) Samuel ( 2 ) Diggs ( 7 ) 

How did you lose?  :lol: 

Just now, mikemack8 said:

How did you lose?  :lol: 

Team that beat me had the Bears defense, the Giants were nice enough to play like hot garbage and the Bears D/ST scored 33 points.

My lineup did what they needed to do except RB 2.  The Lions brass talked all week about how they were going to give D'Andre Swift a ton of work against the Seahawks that week, so instead of starting Boston Scott who I had in my lineup leading up to kickoff of the morning games, who had 19 points, I changed  it to Swift last minute, and he got me 3 points.

In fact, I could have started any of the RB's on my bench and won.

30 minutes ago, downundermike said:

For sure.  I do my research and prep, but you have to be ready for so many unpredictable things.

Where I took Diggs last year, second round pick 4, Davante Adams was still available.  Ironically, the team that beat me in the finals drafted him second round pick 9.

I almost deviated from my Diggs plan and took him, could have drafted WR1, WR2 and WR3.

i havent done a non-ppr league in forever, or 10 teams (I am in a combo of both) in forever, so i am playing around with yahoo mock drafts (from random positions since we dont know where we will pick) so i can determine when to draft RB or WR in the early rounds, versus when i can skip depth on one in favor of the other because something i would have taken in round X will still be available 10-15 picks later in round X+1

20 hours ago, mr_hunt said:

oh, i'm familiar. i drafted him #1 overall 2 years ago in my $$$ league. <_<

That’s the same year I took him first overall in one of my money leagues too.  He had never missed a game until that season.

On 8/22/2022 at 11:10 AM, mr_hunt said:

i drew the #2 pick in my $$$ league this year & i'm going with mccaffrey. 

On 8/22/2022 at 11:16 AM, Agent23 said:

I am doing a league with Nebraskans using standard Yahoo scoring (with no PPR) and my overall rankings (top-24) in that went

• JT
  • Henry
  • CMC
  • Exkler
  • Mixon
  • Kupp
  • Cook
  • JaMar
  • Jefferson
  • Chubb
  • Harris
  • Kamare
  • Swift
  • Conner
  • Josh Allen (next QB was 27 picks later - Herbert)
  • Fournette
  • Saquon
  • Aaron Jones
  • Deebo
  • CeeDee
  • Javonte
  • Kelce
  • Zeke
  • Mark Andrews

My Nebraskan league just drew their randomized draft order. I’m 2nd (10tm non-PPR)… now I’m torn between the Henry/CMC decision unless they let me have the #1 projected player. 

6 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

My Nebraskan league just drew their randomized draft order. I’m 2nd (10tm non-PPR)… now I’m torn between the Henry/CMC decision unless they let me have the #1 projected player. 

Pulled 9th in my 12 team money league last night, non PPR.  Hoping Najee slips to me.  Did a mock today, did not like my team at all.

25 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Pulled 9th in my 12 team money league last night, non PPR.  Hoping Najee slips to me.  Did a mock today, did not like my team at all.

I’ve done about 5 mocks during work hours recently from just random locations (not knowing where I would draft) just to sort of get a feel for what players are popular, who maybe gets taken where. It’s kinda crazy the guys I can get at the start of a round drafting from one spot and still get them if I’m at the back end of that same round 

did a mock from the 2 spot for this 10-teamer with non-PPR. 1st overall took some random WR (Jefferson?) which makes zero sense in a non-ppr league. Had Taylor not been there, I would have taken Henry, so some version of Henry or CMC is the only thing that will most likely be different in the real draft. But if the rest of the rounds turn out similar to the below, I think I could live with it. 

From a RB standpoint, Zeke, Fournette. Javonte, Conner, Mitchell, Hall were the other remaining backs. I like the Kamara upside. The WRs were Tyreke, Moore, Pittman, Keenan, AJ Brown, Higgins, Wadle, Sutton... nobody in a non PPR league that is worth hopping on over RB (especially not knowing what Hill-Tua will look like)

image.png.510febef865b4024658e14eec7926c2a.png

• Like 1

doing some mocks for my 12 team 1/2 ppr money league where i draft 2nd. if i don't go rb (mccaffrey or ekeler) & go with jefferson or cupp instead...my rb's will be guys like javonte williams, james conner, zeke, jk dobbins. 

i love the idea of going wr at #2 since it's historically a much healthier position than rb...especially with mccaffrey as the probable rb pick at 2. but it could lead to a season of chasing rb points.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

doing some mocks for my 12 team 1/2 ppr money league where i draft 2nd. if i don't go rb (mccaffrey or ekeler) & go with jefferson or cupp instead...my rb's will be guys like javonte williams, james conner, zeke, jk dobbins. 

i love the idea of going wr at #2 since it's historically a much healthier position than rb...especially with mccaffrey as the probable rb pick at 2. but it could lead to a season of chasing rb points.  

Hard for guys to duplicate massive success, but I think Jefferson and Kupp are pretty safe bets.

I am convinced you want to grab a bellcow RB with your first pick: Taylor, CMC, Ekeler, Henry, etc. I'd really like to have someone like Cupp, Jefferson, Chase, etc. but not at the expense at RB. There are lots of serviceable WRs in the middle rounds, but you aren't going to find any reliable RBs after about the 3rd round.

On 8/23/2022 at 10:25 PM, Agent23 said:

did a mock from the 2 spot for this 10-teamer with non-PPR. 1st overall took some random WR (Jefferson?) which makes zero sense in a non-ppr league. Had Taylor not been there, I would have taken Henry, so some version of Henry or CMC is the only thing that will most likely be different in the real draft. But if the rest of the rounds turn out similar to the below, I think I could live with it. 

From a RB standpoint, Zeke, Fournette. Javonte, Conner, Mitchell, Hall were the other remaining backs. I like the Kamara upside. The WRs were Tyreke, Moore, Pittman, Keenan, AJ Brown, Higgins, Wadle, Sutton... nobody in a non PPR league that is worth hopping on over RB (especially not knowing what Hill-Tua will look like)

image.png.510febef865b4024658e14eec7926c2a.png

This is why I really hate mock drafts and don't even bother. You end up with some guy trying out some really crazy strategy (like drafting Jefferson #1 overall), or everyone else drops out and it's just chalk ADP.

This league drafted yesterday, and aside from a slight hangover from doing shots, I'm pretty happy with the results.  The team I drafted actually looks a lot like that first mock I ran and posted earlier in the thread.

Pos Players
QB Kyler Murray QB | ARI 
RB Saquon Barkley RB | NYG 
RB Derrick Henry RB | TEN 
WR Mike Evans WR | TB 
WR Courtland Sutton WR | DEN 
TE Dallas Goedert TE | PHI 
RB-WR-TE Chase Edmonds RB | MIA 
DST Saints DST | NO 
K Matt Gay K | LAR 

QB Justin Fields QB | CHI 
 RB Kenneth Gainwell RB | PHI 
 RB Darrell Henderson RB | LAR 
 RB-WR-TE Rashod Bateman WR | BAL 
 RB-WR-TE George Pickens WR | PIT 
 RB-WR-TE Michael Thomas WR | NO 

On 8/29/2022 at 9:31 AM, Shepard Wong said:

This league drafted yesterday, and aside from a slight hangover from doing shots, I'm pretty happy with the results.  The team I drafted actually looks a lot like that first mock I ran and posted earlier in the thread.

Pos Players
QB Kyler Murray QB | ARI 
RB Saquon Barkley RB | NYG 
RB Derrick Henry RB | TEN 
WR Mike Evans WR | TB 
WR Courtland Sutton WR | DEN 
TE Dallas Goedert TE | PHI 
RB-WR-TE Chase Edmonds RB | MIA 
DST Saints DST | NO 
K Matt Gay K | LAR 

QB Justin Fields QB | CHI 
 RB Kenneth Gainwell RB | PHI 
 RB Darrell Henderson RB | LAR 
 RB-WR-TE Rashod Bateman WR | BAL 
 RB-WR-TE George Pickens WR | PIT 
 RB-WR-TE Michael Thomas WR | NO 

Nice work! I’d be really happy with that team after the draft. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/24/2022 at 10:51 AM, mr_hunt said:

i've moved on from second guessing to third/fourth guessing drafting mccaffrey at #2.  2 straight seasons with serious injuries is scaring the sheet out of me.  jefferson is pretty much a sure thing & could even be better than last season.  hell, i won this league last season despite drafting zeke in the 1st round. :lol:  it would be nice to draft a 1st rounder who actually performs like a 1st rounder.  

10 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

i've moved on from second guessing to third/fourth guessing drafting mccaffrey at #2.  2 straight seasons with serious injuries is scaring the sheet out of me.  jefferson is pretty much a sure thing & could even be better than last season.  hell, i won this league last season despite drafting zeke in the 1st round. :lol:  it would be nice to draft a 1st rounder who actually performs like a 1st rounder.  

Personally I would go Kupp over Jefferson, but he has local ties to where I live so I am being a little homerish.

Taking that out of it, with the improvements on the offensive line, and Burrow now a year from the injury, Chase may be the safest bet, especially considering he had 1400 yards as a rookie after not playing football for a year.

13 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Personally I would go Kupp over Jefferson, but he has local ties to where I live so I am being a little homerish.

Taking that out of it, with the improvements on the offensive line, and Burrow now a year from the injury, Chase may be the safest bet, especially considering he had 1400 yards as a rookie after not playing football for a year.

you're not helping by giving me even more options to think about!  :lol:   

chase basically won me my $ league last year...so i have much love for him. :wub: 

i'm sure i'll wind up drafting mccaffrey because i've always been a rb hoarder when it comes to fantasy...and i guess there isn't even a clear #1 wr. damn i hate drafting at 2.  <_<

CMC is going to play like a first rounder. As long as he's playing. There's the catch. My bet is he has a really good year, but who knows? I have come to the conclusion I want either Taylor, CMC, Ekeler, Kamara with my first pick... Or even Henry, but I am fading him in drafts due to age and overuse. (His wheels are going to fall off someday, right?). It would be easy to select Kupp or Jefferson and call it a day... But I have seen the RBs that fall to the 2nd half of the 2nd round and I am not happy with them. Even worse are the RBs that come later that would start at RB2....  You can keep smashing WRs in the middle rounds of the draft that can contribute, but RBs fall off a cliff once the top ones are gone.

I admit I am a RB hoarder too.  :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mr_hunt said:

you're not helping by giving me even more options to think about!  :lol:   

chase basically won me my $ league last year...so i have much love for him. :wub: 

i'm sure i'll wind up drafting mccaffrey because i've always been a rb hoarder when it comes to fantasy...and i guess there isn't even a clear #1 wr. damn i hate drafting at 2.  <_<

Could be worse, have done a ton of mocks since I found out I have the 9th pick, and unless Najee Harris is there, I hate that pick, and the board is just horrible for the first 4 picks.

15 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Could be worse, have done a ton of mocks since I found out I have the 9th pick, and unless Najee Harris is there, I hate that pick, and the board is just horrible for the first 4 picks.

IDK. I really like the WRs that fall into end 3rd/early 4th round turn.  Guys like Deebo and Diggs are going in the 1-2 round turn, but at the 3-4 turn you can usually find guys like Evans, DJ Moore, Pittman, Diontae Johnson, AJ Brown.... I don't think there's much difference between those groups of WRs.

I always find Kamara at the end of Round 1. He's being faded because of the suspension concerns. But I can live with a 1 or 2 game suspension, since he's giving you top production otherwise. 

1 minute ago, toolg said:

IDK. I really like the WRs that fall into end 3rd/early 4th round turn.  Guys like Deebo and Diggs are going in the 1-2 round turn, but at the 3-4 turn you can usually find guys like Evans, DJ Moore, Pittman, Diontae Johnson, AJ Brown.... I don't think there's much difference between those groups of WRs.

I always find Kamara at the end of Round 1. He's being faded because of the suspension concerns. But I can live with a 1 or 2 game suspension, since he's giving you top production otherwise. 

Other problem I run into is bye weeks.  Taken AJ Brown in the 3rd several times, but then get to the 4th, best player is Gabriel Davis, both have the same bye.

i ignore bye weeks. i'm super active on waivers so things usually wind up working out.  tbs, i don't have any interest in aj brown where he's being drafted....not with the eagles' offense and qb.

honestly, the mocks i like best are when i go with mccaffrey and then two of saquon/j.williams/conner at the 2/3 turn.  i'm still seeing wr's like dionte, b.cooks, & waddle falling to me at the 4/5 turn....then depth like mooney & aiyuk a couple rounds later.