Wong's Money League

Shepard Wong

We got our draft order and I am picking second.  The team picking first had Jonathon Taylor kicking ass for them last year so I expect they'll grab him first.

It a 12 team league with standard scoring, no PPR.  I'm thinking RB so likely Henry or CMC but since I was rightfully mocked by @downundermike for passing on Taylor in the first round last year, I want to see what everyone is thinking regarding the players at the top of the draft.  

I haven't done much research yet but just looking at some rankings, I've seen Henry everywhere from 1st to 8th in standard.  CMC is great when he plays but takes a ding since this isn't PPR.

Thoughts?

taylor 1 and henry 2.

that's the list for your first pick in a std scoring league.

you're welcome! 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, homerpat said:

I love Henry, but concerned use and age will catch up. Would debate Ekeler

this. considering the history of rb's that carry the ball as much as he has, i'm moving away from him as a 1st round pick. 

i mean he could turn out to be like AP and bounce back like nothing happened to him. 

On 8/8/2022 at 4:05 PM, Alpha_TATEr said:

this. considering the history of rb's that carry the ball as much as he has, i'm moving away from him as a 1st round pick. 

i mean he could turn out to be like AP and bounce back like nothing happened to him. 

I wouldn’t skip him in first altogether. Just would maybe draft him 5-6. He still has some gas in tank, but drop off may be significant. I’ve ridden him to a couple of finals and feel bad going away from him. 

With the first two picks in Standard scoring, I'd be fine with either Taylor or CMC at #1/#2. I'd also consider Henry. Ekeler falls to #4 in non-PPR scoring... Kupp and all the WRs fall to second half of the first round. At that point you might be able to salvage a RB pick early in the 2nd round... Swift, Kamara, and Fournette are all fine choices IMO. I'd hate to be in a position picking my first RB late in the 2nd round.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2022 at 3:01 PM, Shepard Wong said:

First mock from that spot:

B71D197C-454B-41F7-BF17-713B7AA4338F.jpeg

Has saquon fallen that far? Is he supposed to be missing games?

21 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

That was a live mock on CBS and he fell there. Just checking the consensus rankings on fantasy pros, they have him at 18th overall in their standard league draft rankings.  They have his ADP listed at 20 but I’m not sure how many sites they are pulling that from.

1 hour ago, Agent23 said:

All reports so far is he's healthy. I think it's a realistic spot to find Saquon. I find he's drafted as a mid-tier RB2, late 2nd round or 3rd. Either people recognize the name, a former top-of-the-draft pick, think he's a bounce-back candidate, so they will jump on him 2nd. Or they think he's earned the dreaded injury-prone label, so they will avoid.

31 minutes ago, toolg said:

All reports so far is he's healthy. I think it's a realistic spot to find Saquon. I find he's drafted as a mid-tier RB2, late 2nd round or 3rd. Either people recognize the name, a former top-of-the-draft pick, think he's a bounce-back candidate, so they will jump on him 2nd. Or they think he's earned the dreaded injury-prone label, so they will avoid.

not that many of us will wind up with a top-3 pick, but to have dibbs on the consensus top RBs, grab a stud WR late in the 2nd, and be able to snag a talent/upside like SB in the 3rd would be huge.

14 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

not that many of us will wind up with a top-3 pick, but to have dibbs on the consensus top RBs, grab a stud WR late in the 2nd, and be able to snag a talent/upside like SB in the 3rd would be huge.

Last year Saquon had 2 dud games, followed by 2 monster games, got hurt, then was a fantasy dud for the rest of the season. Which Saquon will you get? It's a gamble.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2022 at 11:48 AM, mr_hunt said:

taylor 1 and henry 2.

that's the list for your first pick in a std scoring league.

you're welcome! 

the site i use for research actually has mccaffrey #2 in standard scoring leagues...with henry 3rd  i can't go against them...they helped me win my $$$ league last year. 

I am doing a league with Nebraskans using standard Yahoo scoring (with no PPR) and my overall rankings (top-24) in that went

• JT
  • Henry
  • CMC
  • Exkler
  • Mixon
  • Kupp
  • Cook
  • JaMar
  • Jefferson
  • Chubb
  • Harris
  • Kamare
  • Swift
  • Conner
  • Josh Allen (next QB was 27 picks later - Herbert)
  • Fournette
  • Saquon
  • Aaron Jones
  • Deebo
  • CeeDee
  • Javonte
  • Kelce
  • Zeke
  • Mark Andrews
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

i drew the #2 pick in my $$$ league this year & i'm going with mccaffrey. 

I find out my draft spot in my $$$ league tonight.

You will be super happy with McCaffrey ( for the 5 games he plays )

8 minutes ago, downundermike said:

I find out my draft spot in my $$$ league tonight.

You will be super happy with McCaffrey ( for the 5 games he plays )

oh, i'm familiar. i drafted him #1 overall 2 years ago in my $$$ league. <_<

3 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

oh, i'm familiar. i drafted him #1 overall 2 years ago in my $$$ league. <_<

Having picks 2-5 is kind of a no mans land this year.  Behind Taylor, the next couple backs all have use/durability concerns, and are the WR's going to duplicate last years production ??

If I don't have 1, I would rather be late in the round to get my 2nd round pick early.

4 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Having picks 2-5 is kind of a no mans land this year.  Behind Taylor, the next couple backs all have use/durability concerns, and are the WR's going to duplicate last years production ??

If I don't have 1, I would rather be late in the round to get my 2nd round pick early.

yeah...being able to get someone like aaron jones, kamara, or even saquon in the early/mid-2nd is a huge bonus for picking later in the 1st.

my 2nd pick will be 23 overall so i'm expecting all of the top rb2's to be gone. 

2 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

yeah...being able to get someone like aaron jones, kamara, or even saquon in the early/mid-2nd is a huge bonus for picking later in the 1st.

my 2nd pick will be 23 overall so i'm expecting all of the top rb2's to be gone. 

Good thing in my league, some idiot will always draft a QB or a TE way to early, so at least a 1 or 2 spot drop for a top RB

7 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Good thing in my league, some idiot will always draft a QB or a TE way to early, so at least a 1 or 2 spot drop for a top RB

:lol:  i'm hoping for the same. 

we're doing an in-person draft this year, so that should help. when we draft online, everybody has the espn default rankings in front of them so there are fewer crazy reaches. 

2 hours ago, mr_hunt said:

:lol:  i'm hoping for the same. 

we're doing an in-person draft this year, so that should help. when we draft online, everybody has the espn default rankings in front of them so there are fewer crazy reaches. 

My spreadsheets are superior for in person, since nobody has the benefit of the computer getting them a best projected answer. Especially because they'll grab a household name that isn't at the top of their game and overlook a better up-and-coming player because a robot isn't showing that name as being projected to score 50 more points on the season 

12 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

My spreadsheets are superior for in person, since nobody has the benefit of the computer getting them a best projected answer. Especially because they'll grab a household name that isn't at the top of their game and overlook a better up-and-coming player because a robot isn't showing that name as being projected to score 50 more points on the season 

I think in person is all about feel.  Last year, my big $$$ league ( finished second by 1 point in the finals ) I absolutely killed it on draft day.

Based on our leagues scoring, I drafted the following final ranked players in a 12 team league

QB - Rodgers ( 6 )

RB - Taylor ( 1 ) Conner ( 5 ) Jacobs ( 17 ) Swift ( 22 )

WR - Kupp ( 1 ) Samuel ( 2 ) Diggs ( 7 ) 

Just now, downundermike said:

I think in person is all about feel.  Last year, my big $$$ league ( finished second by 1 point in the finals ) I absolutely killed it on draft day.

Based on our leagues scoring, I drafted the following final ranked players in a 12 team league

QB - Rodgers ( 6 )

RB - Taylor ( 1 ) Conner ( 5 ) Jacobs ( 17 ) Swift ( 22 )

WR - Kupp ( 1 ) Samuel ( 2 ) Diggs ( 7 ) 

In person requires people to have some level of knowledge/prep, where online has had many teams that auto-drafted wind up with stellar seasons. I like letting the human factor be as heavy as possible. 

8 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

In person requires people to have some level of knowledge/prep, where online has had many teams that auto-drafted wind up with stellar seasons. I like letting the human factor be as heavy as possible. 

For sure.  I do my research and prep, but you have to be ready for so many unpredictable things.

Where I took Diggs last year, second round pick 4, Davante Adams was still available.  Ironically, the team that beat me in the finals drafted him second round pick 9.

I almost deviated from my Diggs plan and took him, could have drafted WR1, WR2 and WR3.