GDT: Preseason. New York Jets @ Philadelphia Eagles. 8-12-22. 7:30 PM EST

EagleJoe8

1 hour ago, Swoop said:

Don't waste your time.

I know I know. The us vs them mentality is inescapable anywhere you go

1 hour ago, Shalodeep said:

Who roots against him?

There is definitely a portion of the fan base that doesn't believe he'll ever be an NFL caliber passer. In their posts here, they have expressed fears that the team might win games despite him and embolden the FO to extend him, thus hurting this team's future by not seeking out a replacement and doing so ASAP. They have lifted up guys like Carson Strong that aren't even close to being NFL ready as being clearly the better prospect based on their own personal projections they call floors and ceilings that are not facts, but opinions and projections based on personal biases. 

For most (of the critics), they just don't like QBs that run as much as Hurts. They have nothing against mobility, but don't subscribe to the idea that a true dual threat QB can be an asset that wins championships at this level. I don't believe to most people this is a race thing. The argument, though, that running QBs don't win championships reminds me of the days when people used to say the same about black QBs. Just because it hasn't happened or isn't the normal way, does not mean the future is set and that it can never happen. There have only been a handful of dual-threat QBs that have been given the chance to change the perception of that style. Looking back and trying to separate the dual-threat QBs from "mobile" ones in the modern era, I'd say McNabb began as the former and turned into the latter. The standouts then would be Cunningham, Vick, Stewart and Jackson. All these guys have helped their teams win games, but have never produced on a Championship team. IMO, it's just a matter of time before someone proves it's possible and the game evolves and perceptions change as more dual threat QBs become available.

2 hours ago, Shalodeep said:

Who roots against him?

Lol half of you can’t even make even a subtle praise without going in to some kind of criticism, but yeah you all root for him. 🙄

13 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

There is definitely a portion of the fan base that doesn't believe he'll ever be an NFL caliber passer. In their posts here, they have expressed fears that the team might win games despite him and embolden the FO to extend him, thus hurting this team's future by not seeking out a replacement and doing so ASAP. They have lifted up guys like Carson Strong that aren't even close to being NFL ready as being clearly the better prospect based on their own personal projections they call floors and ceilings that are not facts, but opinions and projections based on personal biases. 

For most (of the critics), they just don't like QBs that run as much as Hurts. They have nothing against mobility, but don't subscribe to the idea that a true dual threat QB can be an asset that wins championships at this level. I don't believe to most people this is a race thing. The argument, though, that running QBs don't win championships reminds me of the days when people used to say the same about black QBs. Just because it hasn't happened or isn't the normal way, does not mean the future is set and that it can never happen. There have only been a handful of dual-threat QBs that have been given the chance to change the perception of that style. Looking back and trying to separate the dual-threat QBs from "mobile" ones in the modern era, I'd say McNabb began as the former and turned into the latter. The standouts then would be Cunningham, Vick, Stewart and Jackson. All these guys have helped their teams win games, but have never produced on a Championship team. IMO, it's just a matter of time before someone proves it's possible and the game evolves and perceptions change as more dual threat QBs become available.

So you equate those who doubt his skill set being a long term solution to the QB problem as those who want to see him fail? Doubting ones ability due to what's put on film isn't hoping he fails. 

3 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Lol half of you can’t even make even a subtle praise without going in to some kind of criticism, but yeah you all root for him. 🙄

Pointing out he runs to the right  in a clean pocket, doesn't throw often to the middle, and isn't the most accurate of QBs doesn't mean people want to see him fail 

3 hours ago, Talkingbirds said:

Yeah Eagles play went downhill fast after Minshew left.

Now days teams better have a capable backup behind the quarterback and the Wentz era should have let us all realize that 1) a good backup could be the difference in winning and losing a Super Bowl and 2) paying the wrong quarterback could strap the team to the point that they can’t pay that quality backup. 

1 minute ago, Shalodeep said:

Pointing out he runs to the right  in a clean pocket, doesn't throw often to the middle, and isn't the most accurate of QBs doesn't mean people want to see him fail 

What does he do well. By the way writing the same crap over and over and over again damn sure isn’t rooting for him to succeed. 

All I know is all you clowns claiming you don’t want Hurts to fail wouldn’t have been critical of Minshew’s negative attributes if he went out there got a perfect passer rating and scores two touchdowns. You would look like this. 😂

23FDFFA1-D623-4F9F-AE53-FB74BE7D56C8.jpeg

5 hours ago, Infam said:

We’re not the Colts. 😄

I don’t think the Hurts Hate Squad realizes it yet, but Howie isn’t a fan of giving up on his draft picks just because the fans want him to. Plenty of examples on this roster alone. 

9 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

What does he do well. By the way writing the same crap over and over and over again damn sure isn’t rooting for him to succeed. 

Protects the ball extremely well. Extends plays, great mobility. Great attitude and definitely brings a spark to the offense, even if it's unconventional. He's a running game manager at this point who needs to develop in the air. If he develops that, may get top 15ish. If he doesn't develop, he will be a top back up for a decade who spot starts like Taylor 

7 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

All I know is all you clowns claiming you don’t want Hurts to fail wouldn’t have been critical of Minshew’s negative attributes if he went out there got a perfect passer rating and scores two touchdowns. You would look like this. 😂

23FDFFA1-D623-4F9F-AE53-FB74BE7D56C8.jpeg

I thought minshew looked like a game manager type last night. Not wildly impressed, but he was adequate enough.  I think he checks down too quickly just like jalen runs too quickly 

16 minutes ago, Shalodeep said:

So you equate those who doubt his skill set being a long term solution to the QB problem as those who want to see him fail? Doubting ones ability due to what's put on film isn't hoping he fails. 

No, those are your words. I said there are people that fear him succeeding (or the team succeeding with him). The two groups (people with doubts and people that don't want him to succeed because of doubts) are separate. 

14 hours ago, Prime said:

Go Go Godzilla?

Somebody laugh. Anyone get the joke?

I kinda thought that was a UGA thing.

2 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

No, those are your words. I said there are people that fear him succeeding (or the team succeeding with him). The two groups (people with doubts and people that don't want him to succeed because of doubts) are separate. 

I know of only one person who said he hopes Jalen fails. 

17 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

I’ll lump them together if you want. I don’t have time to psychoanalyze any of them so they’re all the same in my book. As for myself I have the same mentality. No sacred cows. I don’t care if Hurts wins or Sinnett, or Minshew, or Strong. The key to football is winning and all of this other crap is semantics. 

22 minutes ago, Shalodeep said:

I thought minshew looked like a game manager type last night. Not wildly impressed, but he was adequate enough.  I think he checks down too quickly just like jalen runs too quickly 

Well I will look forward to seeing you continued critical analysis of Minshew’s game even when he far exceeds your expectations of him. 

Just a comment on all the Hurts comments.

I neither love the guy nor hate the guy at this point. He infuriated me with his play at times last year and the noodle arm that he displayed. I also saw flashes of good play. There is one thing that gives me hope that he is not another "Ben Simmons" (all hype, no work put in, no improvement year to year), is that from all accounts, he is working hard at improving. True fans will back him if he keeps working hard and actually improving. If someone simply wants him to fail, then that person has way deeper issues and their opinions really don't matter anyway.

For me, this is the time he has to start showing consistent excellence. If he starts balling out, great. If by mid-season he still looks like he did last year.... my only reason I don't like Hurts (the player, not the human being) is that he isn't good enough to be the Eagles QB. I want what's bet for the team. That's it. 

2 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Well I will look forward to seeing you continued critical analysis of Minshew’s game even when he far exceeds your expectations of him. 

I definitely will. He has his own crap to work on, and chances are won't develop the deep game he needs to be more than a fringe starter

1 minute ago, Shalodeep said:

I definitely will. He has his own crap to work on, and chances are won't develop the deep game he needs to be more than a fringe starter

You can win with fringe starters though. We won our only Super Bowl with one, but I must say that Foles has no fear when it comes to airing it out. Ironically he’s another guy who basically can’t keep a team because he can’t stay healthy and he’s another pocket passer. 

Hurts impressed last night. I'll take it with a grain of salt considering the competition and pre-season, but it is improvement. I wonder if we will see any more of Hurts in the rest of the pre-season. He is probably done playing.

The team appears to have gone all in on Hurts and expecting improvement in him as a passer. You don't make the moves they made without the expectation that he will improve as a passer. The team is going to live or die based on his passing performance this season. The 2nd half of last season's offense is not a sustainable formula with the personnel they have. Nor has it proven to be sustainable with playoff success for any team yet (Ravens have been the closest). But eventually I expect a team to win with that formula. But right now they have gone the other direction and expect passing improvement. We shall see.

Cam Jurgens was really impressive. I believe he was the Star of the Game. The transition to him is going to be a smooth one. 

3 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

You can win with fringe starters though. We won our only Super Bowl with one, but I must say that Foles has no fear when it comes to airing it out. Ironically he’s another guy who basically can’t keep a team because he can’t stay healthy and he’s another pocket passer. 

have you ever made sense

3 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

I don’t think the Hurts Hate Squad realizes it yet, but Howie isn’t a fan of giving up on his draft picks just because the fans want him to. Plenty of examples on this roster alone. 

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL, shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

8 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Nick Foles called himself a Gun Slinger. I believe it was at the SB. I agree with Foles.

8 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Yeah, and then everybody acts like BG and Kelce were always loved like they are now. They’d be gone too..

Archived