GDT: Preseason. New York Jets @ Philadelphia Eagles. 8-12-22. 7:30 PM EST

EagleJoe8

14 hours ago, judunno said:

Hope some how this week during the practices we can convince the Browns to give us Hunt.

For Minshew? 

13 hours ago, brkmsn said:

There is definitely a portion of the fan base that doesn't believe he'll ever be an NFL caliber passer. In their posts here, they have expressed fears that the team might win games despite him and embolden the FO to extend him, thus hurting this team's future by not seeking out a replacement and doing so ASAP. They have lifted up guys like Carson Strong that aren't even close to being NFL ready as being clearly the better prospect based on their own personal projections they call floors and ceilings that are not facts, but opinions and projections based on personal biases. 

For most (of the critics), they just don't like QBs that run as much as Hurts. They have nothing against mobility, but don't subscribe to the idea that a true dual threat QB can be an asset that wins championships at this level. I don't believe to most people this is a race thing. The argument, though, that running QBs don't win championships reminds me of the days when people used to say the same about black QBs. Just because it hasn't happened or isn't the normal way, does not mean the future is set and that it can never happen. There have only been a handful of dual-threat QBs that have been given the chance to change the perception of that style. Looking back and trying to separate the dual-threat QBs from "mobile" ones in the modern era, I'd say McNabb began as the former and turned into the latter. The standouts then would be Cunningham, Vick, Stewart and Jackson. All these guys have helped their teams win games, but have never produced on a Championship team. IMO, it's just a matter of time before someone proves it's possible and the game evolves and perceptions change as more dual threat QBs become available.

Russell Wilson is a running QB,  ran for 800+ yards one season.   Won a Super Bowl and went twice.  Kaepernick and Newton went to the Super Bowl, both running QBs.

13 hours ago, Shalodeep said:

Pointing out he runs to the right  in a clean pocket, doesn't throw often to the middle, and isn't the most accurate of QBs doesn't mean people want to see him fail 

Mentioning it over and over is what equates to wanting to see him fail.  

The goal is to try to talk him down. Instead of staying silent about him,  they will talk him down, try to get rid of him, and will accept failure as a precursor to getting rid of him.

People even suggest that the Eagles would be getting rid of Hurts before his contract runs out.   I get that Hurts might not be worth what he wants after the 2023 season,  but Hurts is a great bargain through this contract, and rational people can see this.   But there are some who are trying to talk that into existence. 

48 minutes ago, Random Reglar said:

Russell Wilson is a running QB,  ran for 800+ yards one season.   Won a Super Bowl and went twice.  Kaepernick and Newton went to the Super Bowl, both running QBs.

Which running QB won a Super Bowl ??

Wilson is not a running QB, he is a QB who can run.

Cam Newton passed for 4000 yards his rookie year.

Kapernick sucks

5 hours ago, Random Reglar said:

Mentioning it over and over is what equates to wanting to see him fail.  

The goal is to try to talk him down. Instead of staying silent about him,  they will talk him down, try to get rid of him, and will accept failure as a precursor to getting rid of him.

People even suggest that the Eagles would be getting rid of Hurts before his contract runs out.   I get that Hurts might not be worth what he wants after the 2023 season,  but Hurts is a great bargain through this contract, and rational people can see this.   But there are some who are trying to talk that into existence. 

So being critical of the most important position on the team means I want to see that player fail? Maybe you take this from an emotional point of view. I look at the team and see the QB has far more potential to hold the team back from it's full potential, you look at as the team hasn't done enough either through talent on the team or time to develop for jalen Hurts. You post as a Hurts fan, I post as an eagles fan. If the left tackle was the problem, I would point out the tackle. If it was the corners, I would point out the corners....it's the quarterback, so I point out the quarterback. I have a list I posted of my likes of jalen Hurts. I've given him credit every time he has succeeded and stated if he could build on that, we may have something. Stating he is still rolling to the right too much and putting himself and potentially our season in danger with his bad habits isn't wanting to see him fail. It being pointed out at over and over again is because this guy hasn't worked on it. 

9 hours ago, Random Reglar said:

And both lost. They also had EXCELLENT teams carrying them along.

22 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

I don’t think the Hurts Hate Squad realizes it yet, but Howie isn’t a fan of giving up on his draft picks just because the fans want him to. Plenty of examples on this roster alone. 

#18 and #19 are testament to that fact.

On 8/14/2022 at 9:05 AM, eglz1 said:

And both lost. They also had EXCELLENT teams carrying them along.

Wasn't Cam MVP that season?  The team wasn't carrying him lol.  It was unfortunate that Carolina just completely fell apart as a team in that game, they just lost their composure and could never regain it back.

19 hours ago, MF POON said:

Wasn't Cam MVP that season?  The team wasn't carrying him lol.  It was unfortunate that Carolina just completely fell apart as a team in that game, they just lost their composure and could never regain it back.

He also was an actual dual threat that year with 35 passing touchdowns and nearly 4000 passing yards. His rushing of 10 touchdowns and 636 yards didn't carry him that year, his arm did. But using this season as a reference works for the argument of this style isn't sustainable. He only had two more seasons of over 20+ touchdowns again, started missing a bunch of games almost every season due to injuries he got while being a running QB, only had one more winning season, and fell off the radar of good starting QBs in the league. I've said for a while that Hurts is Cam Newton lite. Difference is, Hurts probably doesn't have that first round tag, nor the athletic freakishness that cam brought to the table. He will end up floating around the league being a spark type QB for average teams

2 hours ago, Shalodeep said:

He also was an actual dual threat that year with 35 passing touchdowns and nearly 4000 passing yards. His rushing of 10 touchdowns and 636 yards didn't carry him that year, his arm did. But using this season as a reference works for the argument of this style isn't sustainable. He only had two more seasons of over 20+ touchdowns again, started missing a bunch of games almost every season due to injuries he got while being a running QB, only had one more winning season, and fell off the radar of good starting QBs in the league. I've said for a while that Hurts is Cam Newton lite. Difference is, Hurts probably doesn't have that first round tag, nor the athletic freakishness that cam brought to the table. He will end up floating around the league being a spark type QB for average teams

True. he took more hits and he also went vegan, which (even jokingly) some think lead to his injury issues. But I'm in agreement, I want to see Hurts running less and passing more.  We'll see how it all plays out over the season

1 minute ago, MF POON said:

True. he took more hits and he also went vegan, which (even jokingly) some think lead to his injury issues. But I'm in agreement, I want to see Hurts running less and passing more.  We'll see how it all plays out over the season

If he wanted to escape after his third read wasn't there, I wouldn't complain because then it's an asset. My issue is when he one read a rolls right. He steps up instead of out a few times a game, who the hell knows what he would become...but as long as his legs are option #2, we will just keep getting the same product. I've accept his mechanics will be wacky as what they are and know that's part of him. I'm not waiting for that to change. His decision making and anticipation will either develop or he fades out of the starting position sooner than later.  2022 will be his year to prove something. It's no longer wait and see. It's do or die, and he has enough support around him to succeed. Would I put money on him? No...but I'll cheer for his development and be behind him once they roll out on the field. I will remain critical until he gives me something to defend. Either way, Fly Eagles Fly

image.png.51ba57358948066f4db427c0f436f2d0.png

What is more amazing, that the Jets used 3 guys to block rookie DT Jordan Davis or that 2 Jets Tackles stopped the other FOUR guys from sacking the QB?

Archived