Sanders hurt again, now sidelined with hamstring injury

time2rock

Sanders hurt again, now sidelined with hamstring injury

Oft-injured Miles Sanders, who has been out of practice since the preseason opener with leg soreness, is now dealing with a hamstring injury, according to the Eagles’ official injury report.

Sanders played against the Jets Friday night but did not practice when the team returned to action on Sunday because of what the team called leg soreness.

When the Eagles returned to practice Tuesday after a walkthrough on Monday, Sanders remained sidelined but the injury designation had changed from "leg soreness" to "hamstring."

No word on how serious it is, but considering Sanders’ injury issues over the last two years, it’s definitely concerning.

After Tuesday’s practice, the Eagles travel to Cleveland on Wednesday and for joint practices on Thursday and Friday before facing the Browns on Sunday.

Sanders played eight snaps in the Jets game. He didn’t have any carries, but he caught two passes for 20 yards.

Sanders has missed eight games with injuries over the last two years and has been limited in several others. 

In 2020, he suffered a hamstring strain in training camp that sidelined him for the opener, a knee sprain against the Ravens later that year that forced him to miss two games and a knee sprain that kept him out of one full game and limited him in the playoff loss to the Seahawks. Last year, an ankle injury against the Raiders sidelined him for three games and hampered him in several others and a broken hand cost him two more games and again limited him in the playoffs.

Sanders’ 5.1 career average is highest in Eagles history by a running back and eighth highest in NFL history by a non-QB. He’s one of only six players in NFL history who’s started his career with three straight seasons of 750 rushing yards and at least a 4.6 average.

Sanders is scheduled to become a free agent after this season, and his ability to stay healthy will go a long way toward determining his value either here or elsewhere.

The Eagles did get another running back on the field. Boston Scott, who had been out since Aug. 4 with a concussion, returned Tuesday on a limited basis.

Starting safety Marcus Epps also popped up on the injury report with a back injury and did not practice Tuesday.

Still out are rookie tight end Grant Calcaterra (hamstring), linebacker Christian Ellis (hamstring), defensive tackle Javon Hargrave (toe), center Jason Kelce (elbow scope), safety Jared Mayden (ankle) and receiver Greg Ward (toe).

Rookie returner and receiver Britain Covey was back as a full participant after being limited on Sunday with a finger sprain, and offensive tackle Le’Raven Clark (hamstring) and corner Jimmy Moreland (ankle) were limited Tuesday after missing Sunday’s session.

Calcaterra has been out since July 30 and Ward since Aug. 2.

On Tuesday, cornerback James Bradberry went into the medical tent and came back out to practice but appeared limited after that. There was no immediate word on his issue.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/eagles-training-camp-2022-miles-sanders-sidelined-hamstring-injury

Still out are rookie tight end Grant Calcaterra (hamstring) ...

Calcaterra has been out since July 30 

I'd probably give strong consideration to either releasing Calcaterra during the final cutdown and hope he clears waivers to add him to the practice squad (is anyone going to grab a 6th rd TE that has missed close to 3 weeks ... and counting?) or just placing him on IR.  The only unfortunate part of the latter is that he will not be eligible to participate in practice so it does not help with his development.  Togai has been having a strong camp lately ... he'd be my #3 this year.  

Have to agree here.  We need a beast back there behind this o-line.  Huge potential for the right running back to come in and crush.

• Like 2

Sanders flashes, but how many games has he actually won for the team?  From where I'm sitting, he'll be gone when his contract expires and will be easily replaced.

As soon as his hammy is fine, he should be traded immediately. There are many FA rbs out there. In no particular order... Shady, Gore Peterson, Anderson. 

1 hour ago, Portyansky said:

As soon as his hammy is fine, he should be traded immediately. There are many FA rbs out there. In no particular order... Shady, Gore Peterson, Anderson. 

Shady? Gore? Pederson? Dear lord why not go a step further and include Westbrook and Duce.  :lol:

OK seriously, if we dealt Sanders (playing along … I think that is highly unlikely) I’d sooner bump Gainwell up to RB1.  Scott as a change of pace back and after week 1 can always bring back Howard to serve as a vet placeholder until next April … draft another.  

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

Shady? Gore? Pederson? Dear lord why not go a step further and include Westbrook and Duce.  :lol:

OK seriously, if we dealt Sanders (playing along … I think that is highly unlikely) I’d sooner bump Gainwell up to RB1.  Scott as a change of pace back and after week 1 can always bring back Howard to serve as a vet placeholder until next April … draft another.  

Not as #1.

2 hours ago, Portyansky said:

Nah - he's still on a rookie contract and knows the system.  Eagles have a RB by committee so his importance to the team is reduced acordingly.

• Like 1

Sanders has to be one of the most talented, yet most frustrating players the Eagles have had in a while.  The guy can play, he has talent...but every time you turn around he has an injury of some sort.  Unless he does a 180 and is healthy enough to play a full season, he's as good as gone next offseason.  

Even JR who we might be able to pry away from Jax would be great.  He can do a lot of different things.  Night and day from MS.

Sanders won't be resigned because the eagles would be afraid of him getting a hand injury signing his contract.

• Haha 1

A serious lack of power in his game and he's injured too often. Not a combination that warrants a long term contract. 

7 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

A serious lack of power in his game and he's injured too often. Not a combination that warrants a long term contract. 

^^^^^

THIS 

I've been saying all along I would not sign him to a 2nd contract UNLESS he signs a deal that is super team friendly (e.g. a vet min contract or something close to that).  In today's NFL it just doesn't make sense to dedicate significant salary cap space to a RB.  Draft 'em, use them for the duration of their rookie contracts (if they are good enough to stick around that long), then move on and draft another and repeat process.  I wonder how Dallas feels now about having signed Zeke to such a massive deal ... think they're full of regret?  

• Like 1

He's a good talented player but his availability is very questionable and unfortunately since his rookie year he's struggled with catching the ball too. I'd expect this to be his last year with the team which is a shame but also the right choice. 

On 8/17/2022 at 9:07 PM, time2rock said:

Only problem with that is Gainwell is having a lousy camp

6 minutes ago, weko said:

Only problem with that is Gainwell is having a lousy camp

There’s always the potential to add a RB as teams begin training their rosters.  But for sure we need to add more to the room.  

8 minutes ago, time2rock said:

There’s always the potential to add a RB as teams begin training their rosters.  But for sure we need to add more to the room.  

After final cuts maybe they put Sanders on recallable IR

8 hours ago, time2rock said:

^^^^^

THIS 

I've been saying all along I would not sign him to a 2nd contract UNLESS he signs a deal that is super team friendly (e.g. a vet min contract or something close to that).  In today's NFL it just doesn't make sense to dedicate significant salary cap space to a RB.  Draft 'em, use them for the duration of their rookie contracts (if they are good enough to stick around that long), then move on and draft another and repeat process.  I wonder how Dallas feels now about having signed Zeke to such a massive deal ... think they're full of regret?  

The leadership team minus Jerruh may be full of regret, but Jerruh remembers Emmitt Smith so he's probably OK with it.

People are making way too much of this mid-preseason "injury." The Eagles know he's the starter and are shutting him down to keep him fresh for the opener. Meanwhile, they'll take a good look at Gainwell, knowing the decision regarding Sanders' contract will be coming up. They want to see Gainwell with the 1st team offense without the typical controversy that ensues.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, brkmsn said:

People are making way too much of this mid-preseason "injury." The Eagles know he's the starter and are shutting him down to keep him fresh for the opener. Meanwhile, they'll take a good look at Gainwell, knowing the decision regarding Sanders' contract will be coming up. They want to see Gainwell with the 1st team offense without the typical controversy that ensues.

I don't disagree that it is smart to shut him down in order to have him in the best shape possible to start the season (and further that it is a great opportunity to get an extended look at some of the others on the DC, in particular Gainwell).  But I think most of the debate or discussion is about whether or not Sanders should warrant a contract extension.