Season outlook and forecast

Procus

I'm not one big on predicting individual games, but an outlook after final cutdowns before opening day is a different story.  The theme of the off season seems to be Howie's redemption.  Roseman's gone from being a hero, to an idiot, and now a genius.  I like all the moves.  We'll see how it translates on the field.

Biggest concern from a roster standpoint is the RB position.  Team is razor thin there and badly needs a big bruising back or two.  With that line, the Eagles can easily wear down a team with the running game, and a hard running back would just bring it home.  Sanders isn't always available.  Jordan Howard made a huge difference when he was able to play, but it's clear he's not the same after his stinger.  Need a younger, bigger version of Howard.

As for QB, Hurts from all appearances has said and done all the right things.  It's his first full year in ages with the same coach and system, so hopefully with all his hard work, it'll pay off on the field.  For my money, I'd rather see a more prototypical QB with bigger size and better passing ability.  The intangible is the ability to pull out big games when it's crunch time.

On defense, my biggest question mark is the coaching staff.  I'm not sold on Gannon.  Even though according to some the Eagles are in cap hell, the team managed to really stack up the D this season.  It's up to the coaching staff to pull it all together.  But otherwise, how can you not love what Howie has done with the defense this year.  Jordan Davis will be fun to watch, White, Bradberry and Chauncy Gardner should all be excellent additions.  And BG is back.  But again, it's on Gannon and co. to make this work.  Otherwise, expect somebody like Vic Fangio running the D next year.

On special teams, not sure why competition wasn't brought in for the punter.  Could it be because he's also Jake Elliot's holder?  Also thin at the return positions.

Overall, I expect a good year from the team, but not a great year.  I do think expectations are too high and am not convinced that Siri and Hurts are the coach and QB to bring playoff football glory to this team.  It's still a young team at heart, so I expect some growing pains.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Procus said:

Biggest concern from a roster standpoint is the RB position.  Team is razor thin there and badly needs a big bruising back or two.  With that line, the Eagles can easily wear down a team with the running game, and a hard running back would just bring it home.  Sanders isn't always available.  Jordan Howard made a huge difference when he was able to play, but it's clear he's not the same after his stinger.  Need a younger, bigger version of Howard.

Having a "big, bruising back" is nice if you are consistently up by a couple scores at halftime. It's not really necessary in our offensive scheme however. We can achieve the same effect by dominating up front. 

Howie did a fantastic job reconstructing this roster over the past couple of years, shedding dead weight and filling holes with some solid drafting, free agent acquisitions, and via trades (despite being cap strapped).  This is a roster ready to compete now.  However, still too many question marks around the QB, the defensive coordinator, and the HC even.  Our success is largely going to depend on how those 3 perform in their jobs this year (obviously injuries and how well this team gels and develops chemistry playing together will factor in as well).  I remain cautiously optimistic.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, downundermike said:

10-7 and a quick playoff exit.

I think so too. That is the ceiling for this roster with Hurts. If you had a real QB like Mahomes or Herbert or Burrow this team could win 14 games with our cupcake schedule.

• Like 1

Could be a great year with a deep playoff run.

The D needs to step up and have a special year.

Eagles win the NFC East and make it to NFGCG.

13-4

Over/under for Eagles is 9.5 games. Take the over.

SuperBowl win odds are +3000. Bet $100 to win $3000. A bit of a reach but look at that payoff.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, AngryBird said:

I think so too. That is the ceiling for this roster with Hurts. If you had a real QB like Mahomes or Herbert or Burrow this team could win 14 games with our cupcake schedule.

Could be ... but not a given like some seem to make it out to be though.  I'm as open minded as anyone ... I can acknowledge any outcome is possible.  I am in complete wait-and-see mode.  If Hurts ****s the bed then have to believe he will be replaced.  Howie didn't add that extra 1st next year not thinking the same, despite what he said publicly.  

• Like 2

Don't know about the record but this team SHOULD win 1 or 2 playoff games. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brkmsn said:

Having a "big, bruising back" is nice if you are consistently up by a couple scores at halftime. It's not really necessary in our offensive scheme however. We can achieve the same effect by dominating up front. 

Couldn't hurt to have both.  I've always liked a combination of speed and power in the rotation (thunder and lightning).  

• Like 3

We have the schedule to win the division and make the playoffs, but not the QB to go much further.  10 wins.  1st round loss in playoffs.  Maybe, we get lucky and squeak out a playoff win. Either way, its just enough to screw up our draft pick.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Couldn't hurt to have both.  I've always liked a combination of speed and power in the rotation (thunder and lightning).  

Big backs helped us win a Super Bowl. Blount running through the Patriots trying to make them regret letting him go was a big part of that game too. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

Could be ... but not a given like some seem to make it out to be though.  I'm as open minded as anyone ... I can acknowledge any outcome is possible.  I am in complete wait-and-see mode.  If Hurts ****s the bed then have to believe he will be replaced.  Howie didn't add that extra 1st next year not thinking the same, despite what he said publicly.  

Yep. Two days ago they were talking up how impressive Reagor is, and now he's gone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

I think I was at 8-9 and missing the playoffs

Considering you thought Wentz was winning MVP last year the Eagles are on their way to the Super Bowl, cause you SUCK at predictions  😂🤣😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My expectation is with the improvements to the team to surpass last year's record and win at least 1 playoff game. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, time2rock said:

The problem is they don't have either.  Sanders is constantly dinged up and when he does play, he moves laterally rather than hitting the hole behind that dominant OL. Scott and Gainwell are adequate role players but the RB position is an area of concern right now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hawkeye said:

The problem is they don't have either.  Sanders is constantly dinged up and when he does play, he moves laterally rather than hitting the hole behind that dominant OL. Scott and Gainwell are adequate role players but the RB position is an area of concern right now.

Check the latest news

I think they will end up 11-6 for the year. I am really pumped for this defense, which I thought was the weakest link last year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Procus said:

Check the latest news

Saw that after I posted. Not exactly like trading for Kareem Hunt but certainly a prospect.

• Like 1

The defense has had a HUGE influx of talent.......Chancey-Gradner, Bradbury, Dean, Reddick, White, Davis and the return of Graham........If they all mesh, the defense is going to be a monster.

The offense has added Brown, Pascal and now Trey Sermon.  But that all hinges on how well Hurts plays.

IMO, I think Sirianni keeps their heads on straight and they don't get caught up in this preseason buzz.......

They have the talent, but the bigger question is how well Sirianni and his staff can get them to mesh and produce.  

• Like 2