Season outlook and forecast

Procus

They have a top 4-5 roster in the NFC, just not at the most important position.  If Gannon does what he should, and injuries aren’t a major problem they’ll be 11-6.
 They’ll lose in the 1st round off the playoffs. 

I'm not concerned at all about Jalen Hurts. I saw enough from him last year to know that he has a lot of potential. If he has sharpened his accuracy a little, and can still be dynamic in the run game - with that line and those receivers they will score a ton of points.

Defense has added plenty of quality and youth, I think they should be top ten.

The rest of the NFC East is dogshit, if we don't win at least five games against WAS, NYG and DAL I will be disappointed.

I'm going 11 wins minimum, win the division, and win at least one home playoff game.

• Like 1

I will be happy with 10 wins but expect 11. 

My biggest "want" is a playoff win. 

• Like 2

Imma be crazy and say:

1. Hurts balls out
2. Eagles start off 7-2
3. Eagles finish 13-4
4. Eagles win 2 playoff games, possibly more

Shoot me, please.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Talonblood said:

Imma be crazy and say:

1. Hurts balls out
2. Eagles start off 7-2
3. Eagles finish 13-4
4. Eagles win 2 playoff games, possibly more

Shoot me, please.

That's a level of reasonable optimism.    The Ravens went 14-2 in Lamar's first full year.

• Like 1

An improvement on last season would be my expectation.

Hurts to improve, if he doesn't then he needs to be replaced.

Win the division and a playoff game and i'll be happy.

• Like 1

I think we should win the NFC east with games to spare because while the giants and Washington may be better than last year but to me that means they won’t be complete landfills of teams. The cowboys will always have this unwarranted hype but their O-line being the utter mess it is will be find to watch this season.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2022 at 10:56 AM, AngryBird said:

Yep. Two days ago they were talking up how impressive Reagor is, and now he's gone.

Yeah, Reagor had "explosion".... blew himself all the way to Minnesota......

One thing that is elusive when it comes to QB development is being calm and productive in a high pressure games.  That would be games against divisional opponents, being down in the 4th quarter needed a late game drive, or in december when playoff spots are narrowing, national televised games and playoffs. 

The eagles have all the pieces to seriously contend to take the division, and be one of the top teams in the conference and make the playoffs.  Pieces and potential are no different than any other "prediction".  Nothing matters unless you win. Jalen Hurts might play at a high level this year, but it's the high pressure games that will determine his future here.  If he plays at a high level but is dreadful in the playoffs, it may get him another year to prove he can improve.

Personally, I think Hurts plays well and handles the high pressure games well......Eagles go 12-5 or 11-6

• Like 3

11-6, playoff win, because division is up for grabs and Cowboys Suck. hopefully more.

minor concern at QB consistency once the other teams have more tape on Hurts and figure him out (even though I am a Hurts guy).

Concern at the defense transitioning from 4-3 to 3-4 and all new talent meshing together, especially Generating pass Rush.

Minor Concern at RB depth.

Sirianni better stick to a balanced 50/50 offense instead of resorting back to pass pass pass.

• Like 1

Just a few more days and honestly my excitement is already through the roof!

I’m not going to feel horrible if it’s not working out because I think we are in excellent position with our draft picks and current roster moving forward no matter what.

But I really feel this season could be amazing. I can’t f—ing wait!!

Wooohooo! Go BIRDS!! :Eagle_smiley:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/1/2022 at 8:11 AM, brkmsn said:

Having a "big, bruising back" is nice if you are consistently up by a couple scores at halftime. It's not really necessary in our offensive scheme however. We can achieve the same effect by dominating up front. 

I think this is the mistake most folks make when thinking about the big back, the thinking is they're physical runner but not really good runners.

When looking for any back, the first thing you look for is their running ability, do they have the vision to see and hit the holes, the difference the physical backs make is yards after contact, the littler backs have a tendency to go down on first contact.

• Like 1

With the O line talent we have had on this team the last several years, we should almost really be a run first type of team but that's not what the owner wants the team to be.  Shame really.

I guess you give Hurts credit for getting that extra foot at crunch time when you need him to, but he's relying too much on his legs and that's not a formula to make a run in the NFL.  Defense was a disappointment.  Cannot replace Gannon with Fangio fast enough.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2022 at 10:57 AM, Dweedlebug said:

With the O line talent we have had on this team the last several years, we should almost really be a run first type of team but that's not what the owner wants the team to be.  Shame really.

I have no idea about what the owner wants and a lot of people look at minimal evidence to support their allegations.

The Eagles ARE a run first type of team.  Hurts.  Most rushing yards by a QB last year.  

It was pretty effortless for the Eagles to run the ball in the middle of the field, unless it was short yardage, then it became somewhat difficult, because they weren't using bigs.  The OL is great, but the Eagles don't use bigs like the Ravens do with Boyle and Ricard.  And the Eagles don't really have a power back outside of Hurts.

They ran more than they passed,  the run game in the middle of the field worked very well, the Eagles scored a lot of points and they won. 

Runs - 39 / 216 / 4
Throws to Brown - 13/10/155
Throws to Goedert - 4/3/60

Runs + Brown and Goedert passes
56 plays / 431 yards

Just those 3 things,  throws to 2 players, and runs,  that's a lot of plays and a lot of yards, and a lot of points. 

34 minutes ago, Random Reglar said:

I have no idea about what the owner wants and a lot of people look at minimal evidence to support their allegations.

The Eagles ARE a run first type of team.  Hurts.  Most rushing yards by a QB last year.  

It was pretty effortless for the Eagles to run the ball in the middle of the field, unless it was short yardage, then it became somewhat difficult, because they weren't using bigs.  The OL is great, but the Eagles don't use bigs like the Ravens do with Boyle and Ricard.  And the Eagles don't really have a power back outside of Hurts.

They ran more than they passed,  the run game in the middle of the field worked very well, the Eagles scored a lot of points and they won. 

Runs - 39 / 216 / 4
Throws to Brown - 13/10/155
Throws to Goedert - 4/3/60

Runs + Brown and Goedert passes
56 plays / 431 yards

Just those 3 things,  throws to 2 players, and runs,  that's a lot of plays and a lot of yards, and a lot of points. 

No one is disputing what they did last year.  It's more about what they want to do.  It is not a secret that the owner wants this team to be a pass first team.  It's been well covered in the media for several years now...
https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/jeffrey-lurie-increased-meddling-taking-eagles-down-dangerous-path

https://www.inquirer.com/eagles/eagles-jeffrey-lurie-nick-sirianni-autonomy-doug-pederson-20220115.html

https://phillysportsnetwork.com/2021/11/02/eagles-running-the-ball/

https://www.inquirer.com/eagles/eagles-jeffrey-lurie-nick-sirianni-autonomy-doug-pederson-20220115.html

The Eagles were a run first type of team over the 2nd half of last season, but that's not what they wanted to be.  It's also not what their owner's intentions are for the team going forward.  Hopefully Lurie will continue his more hands off approach this season and let the coaches do whatever they feel works best for a given situation, but we will have to wait and see.

• 2 weeks later...

Eagles have a relatively soft schedule this year. 

I was thinking that if they started 2-0, then 4-0 is a legitimate possibility.   After that, then they have a shot at 14 or 15 wins for the season.