State of the Backers

wtfcares

Well looks like trusting unproven late round/undrafted picks to make up our ENTIRE linebacker crew was a bad idea.

Gerry got absolutely roasted worse than any other Eagles defender I’ve seen in a long time. He needs to be cut today. If we want any sort of chance to compete this year, this position group needs an upgrade ASAP otherwise TEs and RBs gonna abuse our defence all year. 

9 minutes ago, wtfcares said:

Well looks like trusting unproven late round/undrafted picks to make up our ENTIRE linebacker crew was a bad idea.

Gerry got absolutely roasted worse than any other Eagles defender I’ve seen in a long time. He needs to be cut today. If we want any sort of chance to compete this year, this position group needs an upgrade ASAP otherwise TEs and RBs gonna abuse our defence all year. 

There’s not much there, and I don’t see where they get an influx of talent. Only hope is they bring in one of the young guys and the turn out to be good. 

• Like 1

On 5/25/2020 at 6:27 PM, EagleJoe8 said:

Bradham is still on the market and could be a last minute option. I wish they valued the position more, but it’ll be interesting to see how the young guys develop. 

What's the point though?

Better to give time to the guys they drafted this year and see what we have there.

Ultimately LB is a need going in to the draft next year but then it is a need every year under this FO and they continue to overlook.

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

What's the point though?

Better to give time to the guys they drafted this year and see what we have there.

Ultimately LB is a need going in to the draft next year but then it is a need every year under this FO and they continue to overlook.

As far as needs for the Draft, so far, I think we need a home run high pick on O Line, D Line, Safety, Corner, Linebacker and probably another WR.

This sounds flippant, but seriously if there isn't a seismic change in coaching staff, we need starting level talent all over the field.

That's another reason to trade Wentz to be honest even if I'm wrong and he is the guy, the rest of the roster is an aging mess now, so there's no point in paying someone 30million dollars a year to QB, we've been making a mockery of one last run for 3 years now.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

As far as needs for the Draft, so far, I think we need a home run high pick on O Line, D Line, Safety, Corner, Linebacker and probably another WR.

I wouldn't disagree although I would be a little hesitant to spend a top 10 pick on a C or LG. I know a lot will disagree but I just think we can find guys a little later to fill those positions. 

7 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

That's another reason to trade Wentz to be honest even if I'm wrong and he is the guy, the rest of the roster is an aging mess now, so there's no point in paying someone 30million dollars a year to QB, we've been making a mockery of one last run for 3 years now.

If Wentz is what we hope he can be then he can elevate those around him and so having an elite QB is a worthy investment. If he isn't and is just good or average then yeah i mean he's got to be moved on. 

On 5/25/2020 at 1:55 PM, vaff said:

Not that worried about it, tbh. More worried about the loss of Malcolm Jenkins and DE.

Those are certainly valid concerns, but to me the biggest worry is Wentz.  

Theres no way they will cut Gerry...Schwartz has a man crush on him kind of in the same vein as Washburn and Babin. The only way it will happen is if one of them goes. 

On 5/25/2020 at 11:14 PM, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

There's not a current linebacker on the roster who would start over the '17 versions of Kendricks, Hicks, and Bradham.  That's just the way it is. You can't be great at every position. By definition, there's always going to be a unit on the team that is the worst. It just happens to be linebacker for the Eagles. 

Honestly, other than TE, what position are we "great" at?  I know the first group many will point to is the DL ... they are paid like an elite unit, but they certainly aren't performing like one.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

There’s not much there, and I don’t see where they get an influx of talent. Only hope is they bring in one of the young guys and the turn out to be good. 

Thanks Howie for taking a project in Taylor in the third round. He's basically not shown enough to find a spot in the worse LBs in the league.

26 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Honestly, other than TE, what position are we "great" at?  I know the first group many will point to is the DL ... they are paid like an elite unit, but they certainly aren't performing like one.  

Our Punter is elite.  I'd say we're at the top end at Centre and right tackle, Slay is a solid corner, Sanders is a good receiving back but not elite as a pure runner yet,  Reagor is unclear, but he hasn't hit as much as others in the class, Elliott is a decent kicker

Beyond that it's a lot of meh or based on historical performance (Jeffery and DJax if they're absolutely 100% healthy probably hold up at #2 & 3 receiver) and PFF ignore the evidence of your own eyes rankings.

• Like 2

On 5/26/2020 at 5:22 PM, Aerolithe_Lion said:

We’ve made 6 NFCCGs in The Lurie Era by not giving a crap about LBers. As great as it would be to have some all-pros there, it is what it is.

Trotter, Emmons, with guys like Caldwell etc You sure they were crap ?

25 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Our Punter is elite.  I'd say we're at the top end at Centre and right tackle, Slay is a solid corner, Sanders is a good receiving back but not elite as a pure runner yet,  Reagor is unclear, but he hasn't hit as much as others in the class, Elliott is a decent kicker

Beyond that it's a lot of meh or based on historical performance (Jeffery and DJax if they're absolutely 100% healthy probably hold up at #2 & 3 receiver) and PFF ignore the evidence of your own eyes rankings.

I don't disagree at all with your assessment ... I was more referring to position groups rather than individual positions (my bad for not wording it as intended).  Overall I think the OL, while once the best in the NFL, has taken some steps back ... Kelce is still elite but is nearing the end of the road, hopefully Brooks returns to form, LT is a concern.  

2 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

This sounds flippant, but seriously if there isn't a seismic change in coaching staff, we need starting level talent all over the field.

We are now where the packers were a few years ago

7 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I don't disagree at all with your assessment ... I was more referring to position groups rather than individual positions (my bad for not wording it as intended).  Overall I think the OL, while once the best in the NFL, has taken some steps back ... Kelce is still elite but is nearing the end of the road, hopefully Brooks returns to form, LT is a concern.  

Add in question marks at LG and Lanes 30 and we clearly need to invest in the oline

1 hour ago, manz2821 said:

Thanks Howie for taking a project in Taylor in the third round. He's basically not shown enough to find a spot in the worse LBs in the league.

Howie taking projects? No way! I hate to say it but Chip Kelly was right. Howie stinks. Kelly gave Howie a list of guys he wanted in 2014. Howie never moves up to get one in fact he moves back only to end up with Marcus Smith. My goodness Josh Huff was so bad he couldn’t even catch the ball. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, 20dawk4life said:

Add in question marks at LG and Lanes 30 and we clearly need to invest in the oline

No doubt.  OL, DE, LB, CB ... all need an injection of young talent.  WR likely still needs some work too, and it couldn't hurt to draft another young TE (have to assume we'll be moving on from Ertz, so we'll need someone behind Goedert).  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, time2rock said:

No doubt.  OL, DE, LB, CB ... all need an injection of young talent.  WR likely still needs some work too, and it couldn't hurt to draft another young TE (have to assume we'll be moving on from Ertz, so we'll need someone behind Goedert).  

I just hope Kelce does not retire after this season and plays a few more years.  We have enough holes already.

21 minutes ago, manz2821 said:

I just hope Kelce does not retire after this season and plays a few more years.  We have enough holes already.

No doubt.  Losing Kelce would be a huge loss for the OL.  Replacing him will be as difficult as replacing Peters (not this year's version, but the many years he was so dominant).  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Walkdawalk said:

Theres no way they will cut Gerry...Schwartz has a man crush on him kind of in the same vein as Washburn and Babin. The only way it will happen is if one of them goes. 

Babin was a sack monster. So he at least excelled at something. Gerry excels at nothing.

1 hour ago, EagleMatt said:

Babin was a sack monster. So he at least excelled at something. Gerry excels at nothing.

Team leader in tackles

3 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Howie taking projects? No way! I hate to say it but Chip Kelly was right. Howie stinks. Kelly gave Howie a list of guys he wanted in 2014. Howie never moves up to get one in fact he moves back only to end up with Marcus Smith. My goodness Josh Huff was so bad he couldn’t even catch the ball. 

I think Lurie actually had the right idea with the hire of a college coach with fresh ideas when he hired Kelly. He just picked the wrong guy at the wrong time. These days many college offenses are like pro offenses anyway, and the coaches know how to motivate 20 year olds.

AZ looks to be headed in a positive direction with Kingsberry (sp?).

I wouldn't mind trying that again after Doug goes, as long as they keep Howie away from decision-making in the draft.

31 minutes ago, 20dawk4life said:

Team leader in tackles

Yeah after getting beat for a pass and chasing the player down because the OCs are targeting him. The guy rarely makes a tackle at the LOS. 

7 hours ago, Walkdawalk said:

Babin at least produced

1 hour ago, Madriver said:

I think Lurie actually had the right idea with the hire of a college coach with fresh ideas when he hired Kelly. He just picked the wrong guy at the wrong time. These days many college offenses are like pro offenses anyway, and the coaches know how to motivate 20 year olds.

I wouldn't mind trying that again after Doug goes, as long as they keep Howie away from decision-making in the draft.

Again my view of Kelly is different, he was such a horses arse his last season he lost the players but if he'd have just said give Evan Mathis a new contract he might have pulled off the switch from Howie, with Mathis a one cut runner made sense, without him the only hole Murray was running into was the left guards butthole and getting rid of McCoy was made to look a lot dumber than it was.  His offense would probably work better with 2016-17 Wentz than Doug's as well.

But on the overall point, unless you can get Bieniemy, you have to look for an innovative college guy and not just retread one of the same old names, if this season is an absolute blowout and Lurie cleans house, a new guy isn't going to be a quick fix, this roster needs a teardown and rebuild because we've spent too long drafting horribly and trading to win now, the state of the roster and cap is as much a justification for changing coach or GM as a well under .500 season would be.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Madriver said:

I wonder how good Doug would be if Howie actually gave him some talent to work with instead of overpaid injury prone old guys and young players that stink.