State of the Backers

wtfcares

I wasn't high on Reagor, but could see the need for the position. Don't fault the pick, but wish Howie had focused on LB (for once) in the first then gambled on some WRs in what was supposed have been a deep WR class. 

I was hoping that they would take Queen or Murray in that first round. Those guys look like they're going to be really good NFL LBs. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kentwo said:

I wasn't high on Reagor, but could see the need for the position. Don't fault the pick, but wish Howie had focused on LB (for once) in the first then gambled on some WRs in what was supposed have been a deep WR class. 

I was hoping that they would take Queen or Murray in that first round. Those guys look like they're going to be really good NFL LBs. 

This. I think either one of those 2 would have made a much bigger impact on the team this year than Reagor. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, wtfcares said:

This. I think either one of those 2 would have made a much bigger impact on the team this year than Reagor. 

The last time this team has valued LB was the early Andy years... The signing of Demeco was an anomaly

On 5/25/2020 at 7:30 PM, nipples said:

I think LB are nearly irrelevant in today’s nfl so... not worried. 

I'm surprised at you nipples, you should know better, today's NFL is still football and you want to say the best tacklers are irrevelant?

3 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

I'm surprised at you nipples, you should know better, today's NFL is still football and you want to say the best tacklers are irrevelant?

I get what he's saying with a 4-3 defense, and he's right to a certain extent.  LBs have been hidden behind what has been one of the best run stopping DL in football for a long time, not to mention we barely have more than 1 on the field at any given time.  

But when they are so blatantly atrocious, like last week.....................I don't think it's gonna be a good blueprint for this team moving forward.  I don't care if we have bad LBs.  These guys (Gerry and Riley specifically) don't even belong on certain practice squads.  Jalen Mills as a corner was more physical than our LBs last week.  😂

• Like 2

Grungier-Hill just sacked Minshew. Another former Eagle who is probably better than anyone we have at LB. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hputenis said:

I get what he's saying with a 4-3 defense, and he's right to a certain extent.  LBs have been hidden behind what has been one of the best run stopping DL in football for a long time, 

What happens when the QB rolls out, like last week, do you think the DL is going get the stop, they sure as hell didn't last week.

Never will I call LBs irrelevant in today's, tomorrow's or eternities NFL, that's crazy talk.

3 hours ago, hputenis said:

I get what he's saying with a 4-3 defense, and he's right to a certain extent.  LBs have been hidden behind what has been one of the best run stopping DL in football for a long time, not to mention we barely have more than 1 on the field at any given time.  

But when they are so blatantly atrocious, like last week.....................I don't think it's gonna be a good blueprint for this team moving forward.  I don't care if we have bad LBs.  These guys (Gerry and Riley specifically) don't even belong on certain practice squads.  Jalen Mills as a corner was more physical than our LBs last week.  😂

This. 

Im not sitting here saying we need all pro LBs to win. But you need some that are at least somewhat capable of playing. That belong on a football field. 

The year we won the Super Bowl we had Bradham(medium range FA), Kyndricks(2nd round pick), and Hicks(3rd round pick that was pro bowl level). So while we haven’t really "valued” the position for a long time. We still had somewhat capable players at that point. What we have now is a bunch of guys who I honestly would question if they can make the PS on half the teams in the league. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, wtfcares said:

Im not sitting here saying we need all pro LBs to win. But you need some that are at least somewhat capable of playing. That belong on a football field. 

Absolutely. I mean having a pro bowl LB would be nice of course. But this FO doesn't put too much stock in the position. Ok fine but you at least need competent play. 

11 hours ago, EagleVA said:

What happens when the QB rolls out, like last week, do you think the DL is going get the stop, they sure as hell didn't last week.

Never will I call LBs irrelevant in today's, tomorrow's or eternities NFL, that's crazy talk.

Neither would I.  You just chose to read what you wanted to read.  They'll never be irrelevant, but their value has dropped significantly in the past 10-20 years since today's game is so reliant on speed.  That being said, if your linebackers absolutely blow chunks, as ours do, then they can easily be exploited.  If we even had a couple of serviceable NFL caliber LBs, last week wouldn't have happened.  

On 9/22/2020 at 7:56 AM, Jeep_man said:

Trotter, Emmons, with guys like Caldwell etc You sure they were crap ?

I didn’t say that, I said they don’t give a crap about the position. Doesn’t mean 1 doesn’t exceed expectations every now and then.

God, does anyone remember having Seth Joyner, Byron Evans and Willie T???  F me...and Reggie White, Jerome Brown and Clyde Double F me......  And Eric Allen, Wes Hopkins and Andre Waters?!?!?!???!??!??!??!??!

Motherf'ing Bryce Paup!!!!  ARGHGHGHGHGHHGHGHGHHHGHG

5 hours ago, NYEagle said:

God, does anyone remember having Seth Joyner, Byron Evans and Willie T???  F me...and Reggie White, Jerome Brown and Clyde Double F me......  And Eric Allen, Wes Hopkins and Andre Waters?!?!?!???!??!??!??!??!

Motherf'ing Bryce Paup!!!!  ARGHGHGHGHGHHGHGHGHHHGHG

Lay off the sauce Angry Al. 

They better find someone to draft a couple because they don’t have the cap space to buy them, 

You almost got me!

This is a trick question!

There is no state of the Linebackers because the Eagles don't have any LB'ers! HAHA! I win!!

I remember during the draft people kept saying we don't need a high pick linebacker because the team only plays two and the NFL is different. 

Man I wish we had a talented LB to help cover all the TEs, slot WRs and RBs crossing the middle. 

• Like 1

On 9/23/2020 at 11:37 PM, wtfcares said:

I wonder if there were decent linebackers available at pick 53 this year? But then I'm sure I'm not the first to pose that question.

3 hours ago, eglz1 said:

I wonder if there were decent linebackers available at pick 53 this year? But then I'm sure I'm not the first to pose that question.

Logan Wilson who just played the Eagles and had an INT was around at 53.

MICHIGAN
Rnd 2, Pick 28 LB New England Patriots r-Junior 6.31
2563895.png&f=png&w=134&c=80
MISSISSIPPI STATE
Rnd 2, Pick 31 LB Kansas City Chiefs Junior 6.13
2564108.png&f=png&w=134&c=80
WYOMING
Rnd 3, Pick 1 LB Cincinnati Bengals Senior 6.33
2563800.png&f=png&w=134&c=80
WISCONSIN
Rnd 3, Pick 10 LB New Orleans Saints Senior 6.50
Rnd 3, Pick 33 LB Cleveland Browns

OHIO STATE
Rnd 3, Pick 34 LB Baltimore Ravens Senior 6.26

Does Howie realize the year they won the Super Bowl they had Bradham, Hicks (injured) and Kendricks as their starting LB’s going into the season. 

I’m not sure when they decided LB is a position they don’t have to address at all. 

5 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

Does Howie realize the year they won the Super Bowl they had Bradham, Hicks (injured) and Kendricks as their starting LB’s going into the season. 

I’m not sure when they decided LB is a position they don’t have to address at all. 

The NFL started falling in love with the LB/S hybrid players and the Eagles fell head over heels. If Hicks wasn't always getting hurt here, I'd like to believe they would have re-signed him. I think the Eagles are hoping Taylor can be something like M. Kendricks. Of course, he's less ready than Kendricks was coming in. 

• Like 1