Derek Barnett Torn ACL - Season Ending

pgcd3

7 hours ago, EagleMatt said:

Didnt have such a productive season. Definitely has to be bargain price, if he's healthy.

I can't put my finger on why I don't want him.... weird 🤔

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, nipples said:

I definitely think it does. Davis is more of a NT than anything, and with Dean they’re four deep at LB. Reddick can definitely play that pass rushing 3-4 LB role. 

Yeah- 3-4 or modified 3-4 is what they’ll have to do but the outside linebackers better be able to contain the run better than against the Lions. 

Look, unless this ushers in a 3-4 that works better than what we saw Sunday that use our new linebackers and Brown as nose tackle, it’s a problem.  Sweat is just an average DE against the pass and maybe below average against the run and Graham has lost a step. Now we don’t have a solid rotation at DE for a 4-3. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eggs said:

Yeah- 3-4 or modified 3-4 is what they’ll have to do but the outside linebackers better be able to contain the run better than against the Lions. 

Do we trust Gannon to switch to a 3-4 when he can't even get the best out of his current defense?

13 minutes ago, [TSM]_PimpDaddyPain said:

Do we trust Gannon to switch to a 3-4 when he can't even get the best out of his current defense?

Seemed like they were building towards more of a 3-4 look but what do I know. I just watch the games and pick my nose.

21 hours ago, [TSM]_PimpDaddyPain said:

He does a hybrid defense already... Is it good? Not really but, he already runs 3-4 sets. 

30 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

He does a hybrid defense already... Is it good? Not really but, he already runs 3-4 sets. 

It could improve. Definitely wasn't reliable in week 1.

Losing Barnett sucks, IMO, but as always, this opens the door for someone else. The hybrid system should help us minimize losses due to injury. The versatility of some of the players will help as well. 

• Like 1

On 9/12/2022 at 10:16 PM, eggs said:

Good point - I guess that’s one of the few turf fields left. 

The turf monster has wrecked a lot of careers and seasons over the years smh. Damn shame. 

Very sad for Derek.   Get Well Brother.  I have always supported you and people underrate what you do for the Defense.   Damn we lost Brandon last year and now Derrick this year.   

Super-Bowl-LII---Philadelphia-Eagles-v-N

• Like 1

On 9/12/2022 at 9:48 PM, EagleVA said:

I was thinking earlier today that two DE's would turn an average defense into one of the best defenses.

Graham is about spent and Sweat has been a disappointment, since the Eagles desperately need DE's you can bet Howie will ignore them in the '23 draft just as he's done with the secondary.

How in the name of Christ has Josh Sweat been a disappointment?  He's a 4th round pick who was our sack leader and 14th overall DE last year in terms of sacks. He's played 16 games as starter and has 17.5 sacks. Him and Hargrave were the only guys last year that actually did a half decent job.

Also, IT'S ONE GAME.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

How in the name of Christ has Josh Sweat been a disappointment?  He's a 4th round pick who was our sack leader and 14th overall DE last year in terms of sacks. He's played 16 games as starter and has 17.5 sacks. Him and Hargrave were the only guys last year that actually did a half decent job.

Also, IT'S ONE GAME.

I think people generally feel that Sweat has not been a consistent QB threat and got many of his sacks in garbage time plus he’s below average against the run. Yes - he has outperformed his 4th round draft pick status but he hasn’t shown he’s a quality starting DE worthy of the big contract he got. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, eggs said:

I think people generally feel that Sweat has not been a consistent QB threat and got many of his sacks in garbage time plus he’s below average against the run. Yes - he has outperformed his 4th round draft pick status but he hasn’t shown he’s a quality starting DE worthy of the big contract he got. 

I think that's fair. I think he got his contract based on potential. And the stats last year on face value looked pretty good. But scratch a little deeper and the reality is he hasn't been a real game changed and he's yet to make a meaningful contribution against a top team. There's potential and there's hope but he needs to show it. 

3 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Also, IT'S ONE GAME.

I have no idea where all of those sacks came from because I don't recall any, he was invisible all of last year to me.

Besides, SACKS is a very overrated stat, I'll never forget the Jerome Brown/Reggie White days, I recall over and over where Brown would penetrate the LOS forcing the QB directly into the arms of White, White got the stat but Brown did the work.

It's QB PRESSURES that standout to me, I want DE's that put the QB on the run, that's a rare site from our DE's.......including Sweat.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, EagleVA said:

I have no idea where all of those sacks came from because I don't recall any, he was invisible all of last year to me.

Besides, SACKS is a very overrated stat, I'll never forget the Jerome Brown/Reggie White days, I recall over and over where Brown would penetrate the LOS forcing the QB directly into the arms of White, White got the stat but Brown did the work.

It's QB PRESSURES that standout to me, I want DE's that put the QB on the run, that's a rare site from our DE's.......including Sweat.  

Yes - we’ve lacked that guy since Trent Cole - which has been a long time. Graham has had constant pressure and solid sack #s and was also good against the run before the injury but it may be wishful thinking that he can have that much of an impact again. Unless they learn how to use Reddick effectively, our pass rush may be below average this year again. 

I’m not sure the 2023 draft is loaded with three down DEs who are big time sack guys. 

Remember last October when the Eagles had three top 15 picks in the draft and every mock had Hutchinson going to us?  That was before his big game against Ohio State (I think) when he dominated and went way up the draft boards and then the Eagles started winning. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, eggs said:

Remember last October when the Eagles had three top 15 picks in the draft and every mock had Hutchinson going to us?  That was before his big game against Ohio State (I think) when he dominated and went way up the draft boards and then the Eagles started winning. 

Remember when the Eagles drafted Reagor over Jefferson....yeah.....its water under the bridge.  The Eagles were never close to drafting Hutchinson. It was never going to happen.

16 hours ago, eggs said:

I think Eagles fans have a massively negative view of their own players and if O-Lines slacking off to give up "garbage time sacks" was an actual thing that happened in actual football, Tom Brady would have been sacked about 2000 times in his career. 

All DE's play bad teams in a season, and still only 13 had more sacks than Sweat.

1 hour ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

I think Eagles fans have a massively negative view of their own players and if O-Lines slacking off to give up "garbage time sacks" was an actual thing that happened in actual football, Tom Brady would have been sacked about 2000 times in his career. 

All DE's play bad teams in a season, and still only 13 had more sacks than Sweat.

Yeah I never heard of garbage time sacks lol. These people come up with some real BS in their own heads 

• Like 1

On 9/15/2022 at 6:48 AM, Bwestbrook36 said:

Yeah I never heard of garbage time sacks lol. These people come up with some real BS in their own heads 

Do you get a negative score from PFF for garbage time sacks? 😂

• Haha 1

Patrick Johnson and Kyron Johnson can play the joker and move Reddick down as the DE where he should be. Patrick has shown he can handle his own and let him play the linebacker /joker role and get more speed attacking the line of scrimmage