Week 2 line thread: Eagles open -1.5 vs Vikings

Hawkeye

1 minute ago, brkmsn said:

lol

Before the game Jaworski said:

"Looking at Hurts’ throws this offseason, overall, I think he’s done a really good job. I think there is a natural growth that you see in a young quarterback. Along the way there were some setbacks.”

"That was a turning point for the Eagles last year, but Jalen made great decisions in that scheme, because there is a new style in the NFL right now,” Jaworski said. "I thought he did a tremendous job in making those reads. Here’s the thing that we sometimes overlook, because we still tend to look at football in the conventional way with quarterbacks dropping back, timing, rhythm, and those things are very important, don’t get me wrong

But there is a new style NFL right now. The RPOs, the zone reads, the quarterback has to make those split-decisions in the running game as well. And Jalen did a tremendous job with that. The running game is still very important to the Eagles right now—and the quarterback position is still important to that.

"They took the ball out of his hands, to a certain degree, but it was Jalen still making the decisions.”

"Where Jalen gets in trouble is when his mechanics break down,” he said. "He worked on it in the offseason. I’m sure his coaches coached him up on it. His deep ball has a tendency to lose energy down the field because his mechanics were off. He wasn’t driving his hips; he wasn’t throwing off his back leg.

"Consequently, the energy wasn’t there. That’s where he got himself in trouble. That’s not due to a lack of arm strength. It’s a matter of mechanics. I’m not as concerned as some people are about that.”

"Hurts will face a different Detroit team than he faced last year, I will tell you that,” Jaworski said. "Running quarterbacks run, because they can. They don’t learn about going through progressions, because they have escape ability. It’s why they come off primary receivers.

"When the Eagles’ coaching staff dialed up the right play, Jalen executed. Where he got himself in a little trouble was when the anticipated defense changed, and he had a tendency to rush and get out of the pocket. He didn’t trust himself to go through those progression quickly.

"We don’t know if he can do it or can’t do it. We’ll find out on Sunday against Detroit.”

He sucks

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

As someone mentioned earlier this spread is because Vegas doesn't know what to make of Vikes or Eagles so they are going by proxy.  Problem is they still have the Packers overvalued and the Lions undervalued.  I see absolutely no reason for the eagles not to be getting the 3pts for the their prime time home opener against Cousins.

Just now, Bacarty2 said:

Vegas doesnt care what the teams have, or havent done. Thier job is to have 50% money on either side.

So the general public thinks that the vikings will score an F load of points, as they should since the Eagles couldnt stop the terrible lions last week. 

The old idea of 3 points to the home team has also been thrown out the window by betters and vegas alike. Anayltics shows you it's not worth 3. 

In my opinion, if Vikings were home, they'd be 6 point favorites 

Why?  I don't get it, why are the Vikes suddenly considered world beaters?  Unless you are overvaluing the win against the packers (who have ZERO weapons and were missing BOTH tackles) and undervaluing the Lions (who might have the NFL's rushing leader this year) giving the Vikes that many points doesn;t make a lick of sense.  Because of Jefferson???  Dude's worth like .1 more points than AJ Brown.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bacarty2 said:

Vikings were a boarderline playoff team last year and got a huge upgrade in one of the most important positions in the NFL. The coaching staff. 

I dont think the Vikings are world beaters. I have the Vikings as a wild card maybe division winner in a weak division, and guess where I have the Eagles. A wild card team maybe a division winner in a weak division. 

Not to mention the Eagles gave up 35 to a really bad Lions offense with Goff. You can hate Cousins all you want but he's light years ahead of Goff

So you have two wild card quality teams (in your opinion, I think they are both 12-5 division winners), but you want to give the Vikes a TD because Cousins is 10 pts better than Goff?  That's a LOT of weight you are giving to a backdoor cover by the Lions, sir.

• Like 1

Vikes got the advantage at QB and it's not even close. that'll be the difference. 

6 minutes ago, EmeraldArcher7154 said:

Vikes got the advantage at QB and it's not even close. that'll be the difference. 

If you rank the starting Qb's in the NFL Cousins is like 3-5 spots ahead of Hurts.  The biggest mismatch of units in the game is the Olines.  Eagles is elite, Vikes is below avg.  everything else is pretty close to even.

1 minute ago, dawkins4prez said:

If you rank the starting Qb's in the NFL Cousins is like 3-5 spots ahead of Hurts.  The biggest mismatch of units in the game is the Olines.  Eagles is elite, Vikes is below avg.  everything else is pretty close to even.

it's QB. Hurts as a passer is horrible. the O-line could potentially be elite but right now i wouldn't put them in that category at all right now. the eagles cant win a shoot out and thats what this will most likely turn into

• Like 2

The first week of the season always brings overreaction.......the vikings played a hated division rival, at home, in their opener......emotions and adrenaline were pumping and the packers are overrated.  

The Eagles listened too much to their hype and got a improving detroit team playing at home and almost upset them.

This is a typical trap game for the vikings......coming off an emotional, division win, playing on a nationally televised monday night against the eagles in their home opener.  The Linc should be fired up and the eagles should have all that emotion and adrenaline now......

Again, can't overreact, but the eagles know they did not play up their ability on defense against the lions.......and they'll need to against a good offensive team like the vikings.  

5 minutes ago, EmeraldArcher7154 said:

it's QB. Hurts as a passer is horrible. the O-line could potentially be elite but right now i wouldn't put them in that category at all right now. the eagles cant win a shoot out and thats what this will most likely turn into

We just, literally, won a shootout.  it happened 2 days ago.

That wasnt a back door cover. That was the Lions dominating in the 2nd half. 

Eagles score on a short field(dumb onsides kick) with 3 minutes left in the 3rd. 

After that the Eagles got out scored by 17 points and only had 48 yards of offense. 

1) Cousins is a lot more than 3-5 spots ahead of Hurts

2) what did you see in week 1 to think this? The Eagles Oline was Swiss Cheese. 

Go for it.  give me a good laugh this morning while you make cases for rather having stiffs like Matt ryan, Tannehill, Tua and Mayfield.  Please dude, i need this today.

A shootout vs one of the worst Offenses in the league lol

Detroit has an above average to solid offense this year and as I said earlier, Swift is a legit rushing champ candidate.

Just now, Bacarty2 said:

I have Cousins around 13, I have Hurts around 20. I dont think thats outlandish or hottakish at all

i know you do, so please name the 19 guys ahead of Hurts.  c'mon buddy.  

4 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

Goff is bottom 5 in the league and TJ Hock.

The finished 20th-ish in scoring and points last year and I see something similar this year

While you're at it ranking hurts 20th, please name the 27 Qb's you have ahead of Goff.

1 hour ago, dawkins4prez said:

We just, literally, won a shootout.  it happened 2 days ago.

take away a pick six and they lose. hurts had 0 passing TDs. that was a collapse not a shootout. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, EmeraldArcher7154 said:

take away a pick six and they lose. hurts had 0 passing TDs. that was a collapse not a shootout. 

Yes, Hurts not turning the ball over while providing 90 yds 1TD on the ground is some of the reasons they won the shootout.  But i guess the glass is always half full of despair for ya'll.  Enjoy your miserable lives where breakfast always sucks.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, dawkins4prez said:

Yes, Hurts not turning the ball over while providing 90 yds 1TD on the ground is some of the reasons they won the shootout.  But i guess the glass is always half full of despair for ya'll.  Enjoy your miserable lives where breakfast always sucks.

he's great as a runner but not so great as a passer. thats just who he is. he was that in college and he's that in the pros. it'd be nice if he was a legitimate passing threat but even with brown he isn't

I use BetMGM lines all season for consistency.  Live odds there right now have the Eagles -2.5 and the total is now 50.5.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hawkeye said:

I use BetMGM lines all season for consistency.  Live odds there right now have the Eagles -2.5 and the total is now 50.5.

This site here?

https://sports.pa.betmgm.com/en/sports/football-11/betting/usa-9/nfl-35

I don’t follow lines for personal interest, but I like to include the spread when I make the game day threads. Often times, I use your headlines in these threads to find the info, but I don’t always look further into the thread to see if the line has changed. 

40 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

This site here?

https://sports.pa.betmgm.com/en/sports/football-11/betting/usa-9/nfl-35

I don’t follow lines for personal interest, but I like to include the spread when I make the game day threads. Often times, I use your headlines in these threads to find the info, but I don’t always look further into the thread to see if the line has changed. 

That's the one.  The line will move a lot the first couple of weeks of the season while the sports books and players try to get a handle on things.  Week one, with a bunch of bad beats and big money line payouts, is a great example. 

I try to post updates as the lines move over the course of the week, if that helps. PM me if you need more intel (not that I have much to begin with...)

• Thanks 1

On 9/13/2022 at 2:13 PM, Hawkeye said:

It's 2.5 almost everywhere.  in other words, we were right, eagles should be getting the home court 3.