True Detectives

DaEagles4Life

5 minutes ago, DEagle7 said:

Yeah it's good so far. Setting it the arctic winter gives a cool "The Thing" horror vibe. Very creepy. Really good supporting cast (Fiona Shaw as always is great). And no it's not a "rah rah ladies!" circle jerk. Jodie Foster is pretty hateable in it (in a good way).  

That being said we've seen like 5 frozen dongs so far and zero Daddario boobs so decidedly worse than season 1 for now.

I mean both female leads are pretty stereotypical "hate all men/everything in general but go around and bang random dudes when they feel like it" types :lol: It's still been good though - hasn't really taken away from the show IMO 

Spoiler

Lots of callbacks to season 1 with the stuff in the RV, the spiral symbol, and the Tuttle family so far

• Like 1

I also didn't catch this but read about it this morning

Spoiler

The (dead) dude Travis that lead Fiona Shaw's character to the dead bodies is/was Rust Cohle's father.  

16 minutes ago, mikemack8 said:

I mean both female leads are pretty stereotypical "hate all men/everything in general but go around and bang random dudes when they feel like it" types :lol: It's still been good though - hasn't really taken away from the show IMO 

Reveal hidden contents

Lots of callbacks to season 1 with the stuff in the RV, the spiral symbol, and the Tuttle family so far

Eh maybe Reis' character, but Jodie just comes off as a bitter old burnout stuck in dead end town/job.  Which works for her role IMO.

I do feel a bit bad for John Hawkes.  Dude always seems to get type-cast as an a-hole.  He's got resting "I hit my kids" face.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, mikemack8 said:

Two episodes in - I'm digging it so far 

Spoiler

I want one of the men in the town of Pennis, Alaska to say this to Navarro. 

image.gif

• Haha 2

So are most of the characters gay and do they have badass women manhandling grown men or what?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Kz! said:

So are most of the characters gay and do they have badass women manhandling grown men or what?

The only gay so far is Jodie Foster's adopted daughter - she's gay AND Inuit.  Soylib achievement unlocked! 

• Haha 4

The ghost guy wandering around the ice is named Travis, Travis Cohle.  Coincidence, one of Rust's family members as a nod to the time that he mentioned spending in Alaska, or a tie to Rust that is going to become more important as the series goes on?  I'd guess option 2. 

12 minutes ago, The_Omega said:

The ghost guy wandering around the ice is named Travis, Travis Cohle.  Coincidence, one of Rust's family members as a nod to the time that he mentioned spending in Alaska, or a tie to Rust that is going to become more important as the series goes on?  I'd guess option 2. 

On 1/22/2024 at 10:38 AM, mikemack8 said:

I also didn't catch this but read about it this morning

Reveal hidden contents

The (dead) dude Travis that lead Fiona Shaw's character to the dead bodies is/was Rust Cohle's father.  

On 1/22/2024 at 10:41 AM, mikemack8 said:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kz! said:

If I had any complaint it's that they make the same mistake when trying to portray gurrl power as so many others do, they just write the women as if they're men, and the men as if they're women.  Women are cold, distant, unnurturing, full of rage, instigate sex. Men are compliant, found at home, ready to take care of the women.  I love strong women and strong female characters when they're written as women not just more men.

Watching these few episodes made me want to get stoned and watch 30 Days of Night again. Vampire flick from the early 2000s set in one of these perpetual night towns above the arctic circle.

I can't exactly call it a great movie but man the cinemetography was really fun. Well worth the watch.

tumblr_pn3ip8HcmY1tdkro1o5_540.gif

cf8e92e4ba7e05403efe269060f2f994a76d966b

• Like 6

Way too high to see a woman giving birth in the beginning 

• Haha 1

Those are some hearty people up that way. It’s would be a hard enough life in their little town, but the nomads? I mean no insult when I call them a different breed of human. They posses a tolerance for prolonged periods of extreme cold that I do not.

11 hours ago, iladelphxx said:

20240131_013554.jpg

To be clear, we can blame him for season 2 right? 

• Like 1

I can say with absolute certainty that this season isn't even in the same stratosphere as season 1 - probably below season 3 at this point.  

so do i need to watch the previous seasons of true detective or can i jump right into the current one?  

11 minutes ago, mr_hunt said:

so do i need to watch the previous seasons of true detective or can i jump right into the current one?  

You can jump right into this one if you'd like.  There's a few things from season 1 tossed in but you won't really be missing anything by not having watched it.

With that being said, if you haven't ever watched season 1,  you really should.  

39 minutes ago, mikemack8 said:

You can jump right into this one if you'd like.  There's a few things from season 1 tossed in but you won't really be missing anything by not having watched it.

With that being said, if you haven't ever watched season 1,  you really should.  

yeah, i've heard great things about season 1. actually started watching the first ep this morning. so far it's woody & mcconaughey pretty much playing themselves but i'm sure it gets better. 

4 hours ago, mr_hunt said:

Nope. The connections between seasons are easter eggs at best. But like Mike said season 1 is the best so might as well start there. Jury is still out on this season IMO. Cool aesthetic and solid cast at least but the story isn't as engaging yet. 

Just watched episode 4. More of a horror vibe this season than I remember from previous seasons. I don't hate it. Still need more from the main murder plot to really suck me in though. 

• 2 weeks later...

I like it so far. It's weird but good. Love the tie ins to season one. 

I'm still watching, still enjoying it, but this pivot toward a corporate conspiracy could be a let down. We'll see.

The Max app has been a pain in the ass lately, has anyone else noticed that?  Slow to load, and often times won't load.  None of the other apps are as problematic.