Weekly line thread: Eagles -5/5.5 at Cardinals

Hawkeye

The Eagles (3-1 ATS) are 0-5 in their last 5 road games at Arizona (2-2 ATS). The last win was in 2001 when Donovan McNabb squared off against Jake Plummer.  

Offensively, the Cardinals are middle of the pack, as is Kyler Murray who just got a big contract.  DeAndre Hopkins is still out serving his PED suspension.  Old friend Zach Ertz is seeing a lot of targets but is clearly in decline.  On the other side of the ball, Arizona is a defensive mess, ranking toward the bottom of the league.

This game presents like a trap game; not a major rival, early in the season, a long road trip wedged between yesterday's Doug Pederson reunion in the rain and a prime-time showdown at home with the Cowboys the following week. 

Spread: Eagles -5/5.5
Total: 49.5
Money Line: Eagles -227/Cardinals +185

• Like 1

Sounds like too much to me. I would take the Cardinals and the points without hesitation. The Eagles aren't going undefeated, and this is just the type of game that would trip up a team that has those aspirations. 

• Like 1

I'll take the Eagles to cover this. Cards look wobbly, Eagles confident and smart. Even though it is is on the road, I take them. I am 3-1 this season, and this is one of the most confident weeks. Get it done.

Cards are a mess.  Klingsbury has lost that team.  Maybe when they get DHop back they will be dangerous for a stretch but for now the Eagles just have to chase Murray in waves and as long as they have fresh rushers in the 4th qtr they will beat the snot out of the Cards.

I posted another thread about this but the Eagles signed another kicker to the 53 man roster so Jake Elliott may be out this week.  Let's see if that moves the line a half point. 

For reasons I'll never understand, the Cardinals always seem to give the Eagles trouble no matter the rosters, records, or any reasonable application of common sense. I'm staying away from this one.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, PoconoDon said:

For reasons I'll never understand, the Cardinals always seem to give the Eagles trouble no matter the rosters, records, or any reasonable application of common sense. I'm staying away from this one.

Same here. But honestly, I feel a bit flat about this game. Anyone else feel the same? Hopefully the team doesn’t feel this way but feels like I’m already looking forward to the Cowboys game.

• Like 1

Just now, Thrive said:

Same here. But honestly, I feel a bit flat about this game. Anyone else feel the same? Hopefully the team doesn’t feel this way but feels like I’m already looking forward to the Cowboys game.

100%. Makes the Cards game feel almost irrelevant, which it's not of course. 

This feels like a bad spot for the Eagles especially with a divisional rival looming. Arizona is a better team than their record indicates. Both of these teams practice against similar quarterbacks. The Eagles are a little banged up going into this one too. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

This feels like a bad spot for the Eagles especially with a divisional rival looming. Arizona is a better team than their record indicates. Both of these teams practice against similar quarterbacks. The Eagles are a little banged up going into this one too. 

Hate to use the phrase because I think it is used way too much (and often in joking fashion) but this will be a good test for us (for all of the reasons you mentioned).  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

Hate to use the phrase because I think it is used way too much (and often in joking fashion) but this will be a good test for us (for all of the reasons you mentioned).  

I agree. I’d add Arizona has historically been a thorn in our side, and we’ve never won in their current stadium. We need a win there big time. 

• Like 2

This is another double digit win. What are we even talking about here? That Cardinals team doesn’t impress me even a little bit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

I get your point.  This game is a test of leadership and focus as well the actual game.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, nipples said:

This is another double digit win. What are we even talking about here? That Cardinals team doesn’t impress me even a little bit. 

Agreed , these guys are dangerous when at full strength with their weaponry.  But DHop is the guy the other one's are supposed to play off of, he's the centerpiece.  Without him the Cards are not even a top flight pinball team like say, the Lions.

Arguing with there fans online about how we haven't played no good teams.  Two of the teams we've beaten are in first place of their division, while the only teams they've beaten have only 1 win a piece. To me, only teams weaker than then the teams we've beaten is Washington. I think Lions, Minny and Jacksonville are all better.

32 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

I get your point.  This game is a test of leadership and focus as well the actual game.

Yep.  Staying in the moment and focusing completely on the preparations for the upcoming opponent and also filtering out the outside noise.  The focus on remaining in that competitive mindset and not allowing a dropoff in that area after riding to a 4-0 record.  The no wavering and keeping that fully ready to battle mentality.  I am looking forward to seeing how well they handle the success they've had so far and all the praise they've been receiving to see if they keep fighting as hard as they have been and not allow themselves to fall into what many would consider a trap game.  

I feel like this might be that game where like the 04 and the 17 teams had that humbled them some like the Steelers game in 04 and the  Chiefs or Seahawks games in 17. This one could be a loss, but it could propel them into something greater later. Can the Eagles win this game? Yes they absolutely can, but they’re not going undefeated. Phillies and Eagles playing the Cardinals on the road. 

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

I feel like this might be that game where like the 04 and the 17 teams had that humbled them some like the Steelers game in 04 and the  Chiefs or Seahawks games in 17. This one could be a loss, but it could propel them into something greater later. Can the Eagles win this game? Yes they absolutely can, but they’re not going undefeated. Phillies and Eagles playing the Cardinals on the road. 

That first lost is going to be an absolute sheet show in here lol. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

I was at the 04 Steelers game. What a crap showing by the Eagles. I had 50 yard line seats 5 rows up from the Eagles bench so I got to watch all the complaining TO was doing that day. McNabb walking away from him and TO just kept following him and jabbering. Eagles D couldn’t tackle that day either. They definitely were not playing inspired football that day. 

I am a lot more confident going into this game than I was last week with the Jags.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

That first lost is going to be an absolute sheet show in here lol. 

Yeah pretty much. 

• Like 1