Punt Returner

Walkdawalk

Can someone explain to me why the modern nfl now has different players for punt returner and kick returner?  Isn’t it a pretty similar skill set - good hands, speed and the ability to find holes in the coverage?  Wouldn’t finding, and paying, one special player help us in both areas?

Maybe I’m missing something so I put it out for comment. 

22 hours ago, eggs said:

Can someone explain to me why the modern nfl now has different players for punt returner and kick returner?  Isn’t it a pretty similar skill set - good hands, speed and the ability to find holes in the coverage?  Wouldn’t finding, and paying, one special player help us in both areas?

I guess I've always wondered how someone hasn't figured out how to excel at both punting and kicking as well...

On 10/18/2022 at 5:12 PM, eggs said:

It’s pretty different. For one thing, a punt returner has a lot more split decisions to make (fair catch? Return it? Let it go?). 

PR is also more about short line quickness because there tends to be very little room to work with by the time they catch the ball.  Kick returns are mostly just pure top-speed. 

Sure, there are some players who could do both. But there are enough differences in the skills needed for each that it isn’t just a given that a good PR is a good KR and vice versa. 

• Like 2

On 10/19/2022 at 12:29 PM, Vee said:

I guess I've always wondered how someone hasn't figured out how to excel at both punting and kicking as well...

Then you'd have a guy on the roster who is just the "holder."