Punt Returner

Walkdawalk

I like Covey but dude gets crushed on PRs and gains almost no yards...least he catches the punt though...time IMO to bring in a new PR. 

Yeah that's the thing I mean who do they go for? And ultimately is it Covey or is it the blocking? It may be a bit of both... 

2 hours ago, Ajxxx said:

Cards just cut Andy Isabella. Worth it to swap covey and him?

He's never returned punts in the pros I believe.  I agree I'd give Covey until the break and if he hasn't shown progress then look for replacement.  Don't forget these guys basically never practice live ST reps and had like 3 preseason returns

Why not Will Fuller? If healthy he could be an option from the outside...but internally they could use Watkins. 

22 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Never mind the punt returner... We need a new freaking punter. Siposs was trash.

Indeed.  His AVG and NET AVG are once again near the bottom of the league.

https://www.nfl.com/stats/player-stats/category/punts/2022/REG/all/puntingnetaverage/DESC

Not criticizing Howie ... he absolutely crushed this offseason, but just surprised they didn't at least bring in some competition for him (at the very least a rookie undrafted FA).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

https://www.nfl.com/stats/player-stats/category/punts/2022/REG/all/puntingnetaverage/DESC

Not criticizing Howie ... he absolutely crushed this offseason, but just surprised they didn't at least bring in some competition for him (at the very least a rookie undrafted FA).

Oh for sure Howie crushed it but I don't know why he didn't bring someone else in at P. I mean there's got to be better options out there than Siposs? He's going to help cost us a game at some point. 

16 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Oh for sure Howie crushed it but I don't know why he didn't bring someone else in at P. I mean there's got to be better options out there than Siposs? He's going to help cost us a game at some point. 

You bring in a new punter, that means Elliot has a new holder.

50 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

You bring in a new punter, that means Elliot has a new holder.

I'm sure they could work that out though. Siposs blows.

17 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

No he isn't.

Siposs is what he is, he's a bottom 25% punter in terms of average yards, but he rarely shanks one out of bounds, he's middle of the road for punts pinning an opponent inside the 20 and our punt return coverage is mostly good enough to cover for any deficiencies.

if the team was that bothered about punting it wouldn't have let the clearly superior Cam Johnston walk at the end of 20 .

9 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'm sure they could work that out though. Siposs blows.

We used to keep Koy Detmer as the #2 QB so he would be active for the game to be Akers' holder because Akers wanted him to hold. Elliot had his best season with Siposs as his holder. That's probably why the Eagles never considered bringing in a challenger during training camp.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2022 at 2:05 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Never mind the punt returner... We need a new freaking punter. Siposs was trash.

On 10/6/2022 at 12:21 PM, time2rock said:

Go over to the Special Teams Blog thread and post your concerns.  @FranklinFldEBUpper has been tracking punters and kickers in the NFL for decades, and has a rich database of comparative performance.  He will gladly address your concerns.

My personal suspicion is that for all punters in the NFL the AVG and NET AVG are heavily impacted by field position.  The Eagles this year have been successful enough on Offense that Siposs has regularly/consistently had a short field to kick into.  Further NET AVG is frequently affected by the quality of the coverage team.  For example, the Siposs punt last Sunday to the 9 yard line ended up with the NET being calculated from the 20 because the coverage was so piss poor.

JMO

We don’t have great blocking on ST. It’s not all on Covey. He’s been getting crushed.

On 10/7/2022 at 5:56 PM, brkmsn said:

We used to keep Koy Detmer as the #2 QB so he would be active for the game to be Akers' holder because Akers wanted him to hold. Elliot had his best season with Siposs as his holder. That's probably why the Eagles never considered bringing in a challenger during training camp.

Exactly what I think. Bc he’s definitely nothing special as a punter.

From the Saints-Seahawks game, an example of what happens when a punter kicks with enough length (AVE) so that his gunners have not arrived at the "doorstep" of the returner.  That punt has a 55 yard AVE, but only a 34 yard NET.  Sometimes "more" is less and "less" is more.

(6:07 - 3rd) M.Dickson punts 55 yards to NO 18, Center-C.Tinker. M.Callaway pushed ob at NO 39 for 21 yards (J.Blount).

(6:13 - 1st) A.Siposs punts 45 yards to ARZ 12, Center-R.Lovato, fair catch by G.Dortch

(7:53 - 2nd) A.Siposs punts 55 yards to ARZ 33, Center-R.Lovato. G.Dortch to ARZ 43 for 10 yards (K.Johnson, Z.McPhearson)

(3:34 - 2nd) A.Siposs punts 45 yards to ARZ 7, Center-R.Lovato, downed by PHI-Z.McPhearson

AVG = 48.3  NET AVG = 45.0

48.3 would rank 12th in NFL  45.0 would rank 3rd in NFL

Field Position makes a world difference in the stats.

• Like 1

Covey seems to be learning on the job. I like that he gets up field and doesn't run east and west like Reagor. Needs to be more aware and reliable though. 2 muffs already although yesterday's was a borderline penalty. STs just look bad. We miss JJaw 😆

15 minutes ago, judunno said:

Covey seems to be learning on the job. I like that he gets up field and doesn't run east and west like Reagor. Needs to be more aware and reliable though. 2 muffs already although yesterday's was a borderline penalty. STs just look bad. We miss JJaw 😆

Never heard of her

• Like 1

Honestly not sure what it is Covey offers that's special, I don't recall him making anyone miss or darting through a wrinkle in coverage, he either fair catches or runs smack into the first or second cover guy on the scene for 6 yards, he's never looked anything like breaking off a long return, looks way more likely to get concussed the way he gets levelled every time he tries to run one back.

Not sure why Pascal can't do the same level of job, it would keep him more involved at least.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2022 at 5:07 AM, judunno said:

There was no excuse for the refs missing that interference call. 

• Like 1