Jason Garrett is a better head coach than Mike McCarthy

gameshowfan91

I know it sounds crazy, but here's why I said this: McCarthy was only successful with elite QBs (Favre and Rodgers), and Dak ain't elite: https://lastwordonprofootball.com/2017/11/07/mike-mccarthy-isnt-elite-nfl-head-coach-without-aaron-rodgers/  McCarthy's record without Favre and Rodgers: 3-8-1 (11/21/17). Garrett had Romo and Dak to work with. Favre and Rodgers are better than Romo and Dak. Garrrett getting 40 wins out of Dak (who I think is slightly above average at best) is impressive. If Garrett had someone like Wentz, he may not have gotten fired. McCarthy had 2 QBs like him in Favre and Rodgers. McCarthy should be worried about losing another head coaching job if Dak isn't good. Here's why Garrett shouldn't be blamed for Dak's short comings: 

• Like 2

McCarthy tore down Rodgers and re-built him while Favre played his last two seasons in Green Bay. He could end up doing the same thing with the weaknesses in Dak's game. Mike's a good coach that got stale/too conservative by the end of his tenure in GB.

I don't think you can really look into his record without Favre/Rodgers and draw any kind of conclusion from it. I bet most coaches have a less than flattering record when their elite starter goes down (except DP and the 2017 Eagles :flex:).I have no doubt in my mind that McCarthy is a better HC than Jason Garrett. 

McCarthy’s sample size without Favre or Rodgers is too small to draw a conclusion IMO. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, gameshowfan91 said:

I know it sounds crazy, but here's why I said this: McCarthy was only successful with elite QBs (Favre and Rodgers), and Dak ain't elite: https://lastwordonprofootball.com/2017/11/07/mike-mccarthy-isnt-elite-nfl-head-coach-without-aaron-rodgers/  McCarthy's record without Favre and Rodgers: 3-8-1 (11/21/17). Garrett had Romo and Dak to work with. Favre and Rodgers are better than Romo and Dak. Garrrett getting 40 wins out of Dak (who I think is slightly above average at best) is impressive. If Garrett had someone like Wentz, he may not have gotten fired. McCarthy had 2 QBs like him in Favre and Rodgers. McCarthy should be worried about losing another head coaching job if Dak isn't good. Here's why Garrett shouldn't be blamed for Dak's short comings: 

Agree 100%.  The Packers jettisoned McCarthy for being soft on the job.  The team improved once he left.

The real question is can anyone be a successful coach under uncle Jerry. I suspect, no. 

13 hours ago, The Norseman said:

The real question is can anyone be a successful coach under uncle Jerry. I suspect, no. 

Well I guess we’ll find out soon. 

Truer words have never been spoken, Garrett sucks...but McCarthy sucks much more!

Just for kicks and grins I went to look at Mike McCarthy's career coaching record.  Pretty damn good: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_McCarthy

12 + seasons as a head coach, only once did he coach the entire year and end up with a losing record (and barely one at that, 7-9).  Super bowl champ, coach of the year, etc.

Let's compare that with Jason Garret.  Jason Garrett had 9+ seasons as an NFL head coach, 5 of those seasons he finished with a .500 record or worse. 

You can argue "McCarthy had better QBs", but I'll counter that with "Garrett had vastly superior RB and OL".  I hate the Cowboys with a passion, but McCarthy is a MUCH better head coach and they are better off with him.  

Garrett is better than McCarthy.

However, the rest of the Cowboys’ coaching staff is stacked. That’s a problem.

There's no way Garrett is better than Mccarthy. McCarthy has a ring, Garrett has nothing but claps of encouragement. Garrett was arguably the worst HC in the league last year. The only way from Garrett is up. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

There's no way Garrett is better than Mccarthy. McCarthy has a ring, Garrett has nothing but claps of encouragement. Garrett was arguably the worst HC in the league last year. The only way from Garrett is up. 

I think McCarthy is better than Garrett, but he’s an average coach at best. Rodgers carried him through the majority of his career at GB. 

27 minutes ago, nipples said:

I think McCarthy is better than Garrett, but he’s an average coach at best. Rodgers carried him through the majority of his career at GB. 

I certainly wouldn't argue with that there. I am not suggesting McCarthy is a great or even good coach but he's a real upgrade from Garrett.

I think as long as Jerry is in charge of personnel they will be keep being the mediocre cowgirls we are accustomed to! 

Just now, wentzday said:

I think as long as Jerry is in charge of personnel they will be keep being the mediocre cowgirls we are accustomed to! 

I think Jerry is a pretty good GM. He does have a eye for talent. I think Jerry is the key to the failure though of the cowboys. He sticks his head in too much in the coaching part of it. If he was just a GM, they would be fine. 

8 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

I think Jerry is a pretty good GM. He does have a eye for talent. I think Jerry is the key to the failure though of the cowboys. He sticks his head in too much in the coaching part of it. If he was just a GM, they would be fine. 

Yea he gets good players but they have all that talent year after year and still somehow only manage 9-7 or 8-8.  I just don't see that changing until( or if) Jerry lets the coaches just do their jobs.  I think Belichick would even have trouble in that setting. 

Ehh - Garrett was pretty terrible and McCarthy did win a Super Bowl, so I think better coaching is in Mike's corner.

However, he did coach 2 of the greatest QBs of all time and now he has downgraded to Dak. He relied on the passing game much more then the run game and the Cowboys are more of a running team then a passing team. The real question will be how his play calling will be and if he has really changed.

On the side note, no coach has won a Super Bowl with 2 different teams and I dont see that changing anytime soon.

On 6/1/2020 at 6:52 AM, The Norseman said:

Screenshot_20200109-062627_Facebook.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2020 at 4:14 PM, Bwestbrook36 said:

Who cares

Agree . . . for the first time ever the entire sports world is either 'off' or paralyzed. 

Not a helluva lot to talk about.        :sad:

Just now, McNabbIsDone said:

Agree . . . for the first time ever the entire sports world is either 'off' or paralyzed. 

Not a helluva lot to talk about.        :sad:

Unfortunately, no. Still don't want to talk about this though lol

My biggest fear with this hire isn't that Mike McCarthy is a great coach, but that he might be a decent fit in Dallas.  He's not an A type personality like Bill Parcells or Jimmy Johnson, so I think he'll bend over for Jerry Jones whenever necessary without a fuss.   If anything, he kind of left Green Bay with his tail between his legs bc Rogers is a diva vachina himself.  However, Dak doesn't have half the talent that Favre or Rogers had.   He can't teach him to throw 30 yard outs on a rope.  He can't teach Dak how to process information quicker if his wide open first read isn't there either.  He also look like he ate his previous self at his press conference.  

Suzy Kolber pregame: "Mike, how do you plan on attacking this Eagles defense now that they have a DB that would be able to cover you?

McCarthy:  Family Guy - Jake And The Fatman GIF | Gfycat

On 6/22/2020 at 8:13 PM, hputenis said:

My biggest fear with this hire isn't that Mike McCarthy is a great coach, but that he might be a decent fit in Dallas.  He's not an A type personality like Bill Parcells or Jimmy Johnson, so I think he'll bend over for Jerry Jones whenever necessary without a fuss.   If anything, he kind of left Green Bay with his tail between his legs bc Rogers is a diva vachina himself.  However, Dak doesn't have half the talent that Favre or Rogers had.   He can't teach him to throw 30 yard outs on a rope.  He can't teach Dak how to process information quicker if his wide open first read isn't there either.  He also look like he ate his previous self at his press conference.  

Suzy Kolber pregame: "Mike, how do you plan on attacking this Eagles defense now that they have a DB that would be able to cover you?

McCarthy:  Family Guy - Jake And The Fatman GIF | Gfycat

I don’t know how he will coach in Dallas. Yes he had two of the top QB’s in the last decade. Dak is not Rodgers your right about that but don’t under estimate him either. Dak could very well have the best WR group in the NFC this year. Mike can coach QBs as well. Dak was one of the best deep ball throwers in the league last year so he can get the job done. As far as your secondary you paid dearly for a corner that is talented but is not the best. 
Dak is no superstar but there is no way to can believe Wentz is either. 

• Haha 1

On 6/23/2020 at 9:28 PM, Gch said:

I don’t know how he will coach in Dallas. Yes he had two of the top QB’s in the last decade. Dak is not Rodgers your right about that but don’t under estimate him either. Dak could very well have the best WR group in the NFC this year. Mike can coach QBs as well. Dak was one of the best deep ball throwers in the league last year so he can get the job done. As far as your secondary you paid dearly for a corner that is talented but is not the best. 
Dak is no superstar but there is no way to can believe Wentz is either. 

FB_IMG_1593347226147.jpg