Dallas Will be the "Real Test" (offensively)

EaglesAddict

21 hours ago, birdman#12 said:

Cowpies have more sacks and Jacksonville has more takeaways.......Cowpies have better pass defense, Jags better run defense.

So they are not the toughest defense the eagles faced "by far"......What is true is that this is the toughest offensive line the cowpies have faced this year.

One of these things is NOT like the other.

No NFL QB is scared of a stout run defense. Not a one.  Stout run defenses DO NOT threaten the QB nor do they effect  the timing & rhythm of the passing offense.

Every QB in the league is terrified of a hellified pass rush. They are terrified because a pass rush directly targets and effects them. It speeds everything up (timing) and destroys and offenses timing and rhythm. Heck a pass rush even effects what offensive plays are called (3 step drops) and NOT called (5 step drops).

• Like 1

The outcome of this game likely hinges on the health of the Eagles OL.  Can they perform at a high level?  If so, Eagles should win easily.  If not, could be a difficult game.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, birdman#12 said:

Jacksonville, statistically, is on par with the cowpies, who are being completely overrated by the media and even around here by the OP.  

Cowpies have more sacks and Jacksonville has more takeaways.......Cowpies have better pass defense, Jags better run defense.

So they are not the toughest defense the eagles faced "by far"......What is true is that this is the toughest offensive line the cowpies have faced this year.

Yes, better than the rams, the bengals, the giants and the foreskins.....and the bucs.

And I think the eagles are not only on a mission this year,  they had this game circled since it came out.......like us, they're tired of hearing all about dallas, cooper rush, and their defense getting the typical media dallas hype.

Eagles 31, cowpies 13

Have you seen the dogs Jags have beat? Colts? Texans? Commanders? Compare that to the Rams, Bengals and Buccaneers. The defenses don’t compare.

1 hour ago, hobbs said:

One of these things is NOT like the other.

No NFL QB is scared of a stout run defense. Not a one.  Stout run defenses DO NOT threaten the QB nor do they effect  the timing & rhythm of the passing offense.

Every QB in the league is terrified of a hellified pass rush. They are terrified because a pass rush directly targets and effects them. It speeds everything up (timing) and destroys and offenses timing and rhythm. Heck a pass rush even effects what offensive plays are called (3 step drops) and NOT called (5 step drops).

Jags got fat off of bad teams. 

1 hour ago, RICWOOFLAIR said:

Have you seen the dogs Jags have beat? Colts? Texans? Commanders? Compare that to the Rams, Bengals and Buccaneers. The defenses don’t compare.

Jags got fat off of bad teams. 

Uh......the rams, bengals and bucs, along with the colts, texans and commanders ALL rank in the lower 16 teams in the NFL offensively.  So that argument is false.

Your perception is that rams, bengals and bucs offenses are better because of last year, but that certainly isn't the case yet this year.  Oh, the bucs manhandled the dallas defense the first game of the season.  And the cowpies has piled up sack against some bad offensive lines.  Except for the bucs, the bengal, foreskins, and rams are bad lines.....

Get off the dallas hype train.......and stop buying all the same old media love for the cowpies.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, birdman#12 said:

Uh......the rams, bengals and bucs, along with the colts, texans and commanders ALL rank in the lower 16 teams in the NFL offensively.  So that argument is false.

Your perception is that rams, bengals and bucs offenses are better because of last year, but that certainly isn't the case yet this year.  Oh, the bucs manhandled the dallas defense the first game of the season.  And the cowpies has piled up sack against some bad offensive lines.  Except for the bucs, the bengal, foreskins, and rams are bad lines.....

Get off the dallas hype train.......and stop buying all the same old media love for the cowpies.

I’m not buying into anything. I’ve watched their games. A few things….

Those teams rank so poorly because of Dallas domination. You take that Dallas game out and they’d all rank high. 

You can argue that their offensive lines are bad but you can’t argue that Brady, Burrow and Stafford are bad.

Buccs got dominated except for Fournette. He had his way and it resulted in less than 20 points.

All of thes teams suck yet there is only one team hasn’t given up 20 points this year….should be many more if it’s just "hype”. 

23 minutes ago, RICWOOFLAIR said:

Those teams rank so poorly because of Dallas domination. You take that Dallas game out and they’d all rank high. 

You can argue that their offensive lines are bad but you can’t argue that Brady, Burrow and Stafford are bad.

Buccs got dominated except for Fournette. He had his way and it resulted in less than 20 points.

All of thes teams suck yet there is only one team hasn’t given up 20 points this year….should be many more if it’s just "hype”. 

No they wouldn't, as I've said in other threads, the combined average PPG of all Dallas opponents through 5 games is 19 with a high scoring game of 31 and a highest individual average of 21.6PPG. If you take the Dallas game out of each opponents record it raises the combined average by 1.3 pts

For comparison the Eagles have faced offenses with a combined average of 21 PPG, a high score of 45 and a highest individual average of 28 PPG. If you take the Eagles game out it raises the combined average by 2.65 pts.

Who's defence is elite?

Quote from Jason Peters:

"I just know the Philly fans are f—ing idiots when it comes to camaraderie and the Cowboys — any team, really,” Peters said, via Michael Gehlken of the Dallas Morning News. "They start throwing stuff at teams. Like, when we played the Vikings [in early 2017], they were throwing stuff. I mean, they nasty. . . . But they know that. They pride themselves on being nasty, you know, vulgar. They’re going to cuss at you. They’re going to throw stuff.

"They pride themselves on that. They know that. Philly fans are the wildest fans out there, to me.”

Wasn't sure where to post it (the game day thread is locked and didn't want to start a new thread just for this).

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/10/12/jason-peters-knows-better-than-anyone-what-awaits-cowboys-in-philadelphia-with-nasty-eagles-fans/

• Haha 1

I'd be lying if I didn't say I was more concerned about this game than the others. This will be our biggest challenge. Also, I'm watching it with a Dallas fan, who will be UNSUFFERABLE if Dallas pulls this game out.  If we let Cooper Rush beat us, than we don't belong in first place. I don't see us dropping 30, unless Dallas gets sloppy, but I can see a hard-fought 23-16 win.  If this team goes 6-0 heading into the bye... this town will be electric, especially considering the next four games are easily winnable games.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2022 at 6:23 PM, psychodog said:

Me thinks that Cooper Rush is going to be picked off twice....that is, if Gannon does his job and applies pressure to rattle that red headed stepchild.  

or he beats us soundly and Monday morning the (false) rumors start swirling: 

"Are the Cowboys looking to trade Dak Prescott?"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EagleRob said:

I'd be lying if I didn't say I was more concerned about this game than the others. This will be our biggest challenge. Also, I'm watching it with a Dallas fan, who will be UNSUFFERABLE if Dallas pulls this game out.  If we let Cooper Rush beat us, than we don't belong in first place. I don't see us dropping 30, unless Dallas gets sloppy, but I can see a hard-fought 23-16 win.  If this team goes 6-0 heading into the bye... this town will be electric, especially considering the next four games are easily winnable games.

I have a few friends and my brother in law who are DallASS fans and I agree, they will be insufferable if Dallas wins.  In fact, I told my brother in law we are never watching an Eagles/Dallas game together again after we blew up one time and I had to literally kick him out of the house...he was an absolute jackass, talking crap and wasn't even making any logical points.  He is the poster child for one of those meathead kinda fans who like to talk crap and can't talk objective football.  Was literally equal to "arguing with a moron" (and you know how that goes).

• Like 1

Just now, EaglesAddict said:

I have a few friends and my brother in law who are DallASS fans and I agree, they will be insufferable if Dallas wins.  In fact, I told my brother in law we are never watching an Eagles/Dallas game together again after we blew up one time and I had to literally kick him out of the house...he was an absolute jackass, talking crap and wasn't even making any logical points.  He is the poster child for one of those meathead kinda fans who like to talk crap and can't talk objective football.  Was literally equal to "arguing with a moron" (and you know how that goes).

Trust me... I know the type. There were quite a few on the ESPN Boards back in the day. This guy isn't like that.

I'm watching the preview video right now on YT. It will be interesting to see what kind of D they play against Hurts.   I think they will try to blitz early to see if they can get home.  But I think once the Eagles make them pay, they will use their D to try to keep everything under.   Their run game is suspect, so lets pound them early so the read-option can open up.  If we are who we supposed to be, no way Rush beats Hurts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EagleRob said:

Trust me... I know the type. There were quite a few on the ESPN Boards back in the day. This guy isn't like that.

I'm watching the preview video right now on YT. It will be interesting to see what kind of D they play against Hurts.   I think they will try to blitz early to see if they can get home.  But I think once the Eagles make them pay, they will use their D to try to keep everything under.   Their run game is suspect, so lets pound them early so the read-option can open up.  If we are who we supposed to be, no way Rush beats Hurts.

Cowboys rarely blitz and when they do it's late game situational.  They will most likely put a spy on Hurts.  I'd think Donovan Wilson.

On 10/11/2022 at 8:15 AM, time2rock said:

I don't buy the killing the clock suggestion.  

Against Minnesota, entering the 2nd half we have a 17 point lead which isn't that much all things considered.  Playing against a team that can be explosive offensively with Jefferson, Thielen, Cook, etc., you want to keep the pedal to the metal.

Against the Jags the lead is only 6 going into the 3rd quarter.

Against the Cardinals the lead is only 4.  

I do think this is one area where Sirianni and Steichen are still learning ... how to make adjustments when taking a lead into the half.  You have to know the opponent is going to make adjustments since they are losing, so being able to come up with some idea of they might be and create a plan on how to counter is something that will hopefully get better with more time.  

And "yes" EA ... huge test (joking or not), no doubt.  

I think a lot of it is killing the clock, but not 100%. I really don’t like the soft defense, not in any scenario that I can think of where there is a benefit to playing soft and letting a team slowly move down the field, at will, against your defense.

Against the Vikings you absolutely want to control the ball, eat the clock and keep their explosive offense OFF the field with a 17 point lead.

The weather played a big part against the Jaguars and it showed with how they played and how many turnovers they committed.

Against the Cardinals I think the offense got too conservative on the last drive, but we only had 3 possessions if you exclude the 1 play kneel down to end the game. 

We had a 5 min drive that ended with a field goal to open the 2nd half. That drive started good with several plays of 10+ yards, but got stifled by a holding call putting them 1st and 20 at the cardinals 25.

2nd drive included a 31 yard pass to Goedert, but another holding call and a 10 yard sack on 3rd and 8 from the Arizona 38 pushed us out of FG range.

The last drive we basically ran it down their throat at will until 1st and goal from the 10. I wish we would have been more aggressive there to get the TD, but their defense finally tightened up.

I think the offense stayed aggressive in the 2nd half, other than the last drive, but the holding calls hurt the first 2.

13 hours ago, time2rock said:

Quote from Jason Peters:

Wasn't sure where to post it (the game day thread is locked and didn't want to start a new thread just for this).

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/10/12/jason-peters-knows-better-than-anyone-what-awaits-cowboys-in-philadelphia-with-nasty-eagles-fans/

He came from Buffalo with Bills Mafia :lol:

On 10/11/2022 at 8:59 AM, EaglesAddict said:

Sorry, couldn't resist the title.^_^

But, it's true.  Dallas will, by far, bring the best defense we have seen this year so far.  Combine that with our offensive troubles in the 2nd halves of games this year along with 5 games of film defensive coordinators now have on us, this will be a very interesting test.

The Eagles have 135 total points scored this year with only 29 of those points being in the 2nd half (14 of which were in week 1 so that's 15 total points in the 2nd half of the last 4 games).

Are defenses adjusting at half time and able to shut us down in the 2nd half?  Is Siri not adapting to the defensive adjustments?  Execution?  What gives?  They better have a good plan of attack on Dallas this week.

I disagree before the Eagles played against the Jaguars they were 1st in the NFL in stopping the run but Miles Sanders destroyed them in the rain and they are now 6th ranked in the NFL (was worse right after the game). The Eagles are fourth in rushing in the NFL, and Cowboys are 19th. It's very simple, run the ball & stop the run.
Old fashioned football strategy. The game is won or lost at the line. Would like to see lb dean get some reps with DT Jordan Davis on 1st & 2nd down when we know its probably going to be a run. I don't think the Eagles have to stack the box but def. if they start to run without problem.

---------------------

Cowboys have 7th ranked Defense against the pass, Eagles have the 5th ranked defense against the pass.

Cowboys have 19th ranked Defense against the run, Eagles have the 10th ranked Defense against the run.

Eagles are ranked 11th in passing yards, and 4th in rushing yards in the NFL.
Cowboys are ranked 28th in passing yards, and 15th in rushing yards in the NFL.

-------------------

5 minutes ago, JournalistMic said:

Would like to see lb dean get some reps with DT Jordan Davis on 1st & 2nd down when we know its probably going to be a run. I don't think the Eagles have to stack the box but def. if they start to run without problem.

I'm excited about Dean's future. But there's no way I'm taking Edwards out the way Edwards is playing.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

I'm excited about Dean's future. But there's no way I'm taking Edwards out the way Edwards is playing.

Only in a blowout, but would be good for him to get some experience in case he needs to come in because of injury 

14 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

No they wouldn't, as I've said in other threads, the combined average PPG of all Dallas opponents through 5 games is 19 with a high scoring game of 31 and a highest individual average of 21.6PPG. If you take the Dallas game out of each opponents record it raises the combined average by 1.3 pts

For comparison the Eagles have faced offenses with a combined average of 21 PPG, a high score of 45 and a highest individual average of 28 PPG. If you take the Eagles game out it raises the combined average by 2.65 pts.

Who's defence is elite?

Its too early to tell who's elite. Its only been 5 games. All we can do is gauge what we've seen through 5 games and what we see last season. Rams, Buccs and Bengals will be playoff teams this year. 

18 hours ago, time2rock said:

Quote from Jason Peters:

Meanwhile: 

Screenshot_20221014_001339.jpg

• Like 2

On 10/11/2022 at 6:23 PM, psychodog said:

Me thinks that Cooper Rush is going to be picked off twice....that is, if Gannon does his job and applies pressure to rattle that red headed stepchild.  

Agreed, if Gannon can scheme properly to bring pressure then I think we control this game. If he comes out and plays soft, then it’s all going to be put in Hurts’ shoulder to get the win. 

10 hours ago, JournalistMic said:

I disagree before the Eagles played against the Jaguars they were 1st in the NFL in stopping the run but Miles Sanders destroyed them in the rain and they are now 6th ranked in the NFL (was worse right after the game). The Eagles are fourth in rushing in the NFL, and Cowboys are 19th. It's very simple, run the ball & stop the run.
Old fashioned football strategy. The game is won or lost at the line. Would like to see lb dean get some reps with DT Jordan Davis on 1st & 2nd down when we know its probably going to be a run. I don't think the Eagles have to stack the box but def. if they start to run without problem.

---------------------

Cowboys have 7th ranked Defense against the pass, Eagles have the 5th ranked defense against the pass.

Cowboys have 19th ranked Defense against the run, Eagles have the 10th ranked Defense against the run.

Eagles are ranked 11th in passing yards, and 4th in rushing yards in the NFL.
Cowboys are ranked 28th in passing yards, and 15th in rushing yards in the NFL.

-------------------

Dallas has what, the 2nd ranked pass rush?  They're 2nd in sacks.  You know Siri and the Eagles like to pass the ball and it's only when that fails that they go run heavy.  

I'm really curious to see how Hurts handles Dallas' pass rush.

• Like 1

I have noticed that head coaches prefer to attack an opponents strength, because I assume they expect that to be the unexpected. In the Jaguars game the Eagles won by rushing (of course it was raining heavy), but the Jaguars led the league in stopping the run prior to the Eagles playing against them. If the expectation is that the Eagles can't pass against the Dallas defense, and because of the reasons you mentioned above I do expect a lot of passing attempts early in the game. If that fails I'm sure they will revert back to the run, hopefully the defense doesn't put the Eagles in a situation where they don't feel they can run.

Of course any divisional game is a must win, and despite the opponents record they play the hardest when playing against each other (usually) but I do think the Eagles will sweep every team in the NFC East this season.

However, the Cowboys did sweep the Eagles last season so this game will give most of us butterflies.
The injury report has to give most a sigh of relief. 

I'm going with a shocking prediction;

Eagles 31    Cowboys 13

On 10/13/2022 at 2:27 AM, RICWOOFLAIR said:

Never said anything about Brady, Burrow or Stafford being bad......but a bad offensive line can really bring a QB performance down.

26-17 Eagles over Dallas.

OVERRATED.....The only success they had is when johnson and dickerson went out........and then, they couldn't stop the run which allowed the eagles to put them away.

Dallas will continued to be overhyped.....it's what the media does.....but I'm not buying it.

• Like 1