Dallas Will be the "Real Test" (offensively)

EaglesAddict

2 minutes ago, NOTW said:

The bye week is the real test.

So if we're not 7-0 going into the Pittsburgh game we clearly suck

1 minute ago, NJWolverEagle11 said:

It's a trap bye.

• Haha 4

I say we passed the test but also confirmed that Dallas D is pretty good. And they didnt even have a full strength Parsons.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, birdman#12 said:

Never said anything about Brady, Burrow or Stafford being bad......but a bad offensive line can really bring a QB performance down.

26-17 Eagles over Dallas.

OVERRATED.....The only success they had is when johnson and dickerson went out........and then, they couldn't stop the run which allowed the eagles to put them away.

Dallas will continued to be overhyped.....it's what the media does.....but I'm not buying it.

They gave 130 yards on 40 Carrie’s lol….3.5 yards a carry. Rush screwed them over….

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NJWolverEagle11 said:

Last time we were undefeated going into Pittsburgh we lost. Time update the revenge meme. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, opa-opa said:

I say we passed the test but also confirmed that Dallas D is pretty good. And they didnt even have a full strength Parsons.

I'd say they passed the test too (strictly talking about the Eagles' O vs. Dallas D)...but with a C grade.  They passed, but was a mediocre passing grade, lol.  Losing Lane certainly impacted things for the offense and they did have a couple impressive drives.  I liked their initial game plan on how to handle Parsons.  My biggest issue is that they are so slow to adjust and for the 2nd week in a row, they didn't take any shots down the field.  And obviously they have issues in 2nd halves of games....that really needs to be figured out.

I'm more concerned with the defense, really.  Yes they flashed last night with 3 INTs, but the pass rush needs some help.  There were some receivers wide open last night....if Dallas had Dak (i.e., a better QB), this game may have ended very differently.  The run defense is inexplicably bad, especially in the 2nd halves of games.

But, for now, just gonna enjoy being 6-0 for the next 2 weeks!

• Like 1

On 10/12/2022 at 10:28 AM, time2rock said:

I'd like to see a more balanced attack right out of the gate.  If you take away Hurts' runs (whether designed or not) the balance was heavily in favor of the pass by a ratio of 2:1 (36 passes, 18 runs by Sanders [15] and Gainwell [3]).  Ideally (and assuming the run game is effective ... obviously not a safe assumption and will have to prepare for adjustments as needed), Sanders gets closer to 20 touches, Gainwell 6-7, and get Sermon involved with another 4-5.  

Nice to see they went more balanced last night as I was hoping - 25 pass attempts vs 30 runs (not counting those by Hurts)

• Sanders:  18 carries
  • Scott: 6
  • Gainwell: 5
  • Watckins: 1

10 minutes ago, 20dawk4life said:

Last time we were undefeated going into Pittsburgh we lost. Time update the revenge meme. 

So this game can make McNabb and TO friends again? Game on

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, NOTW said:

Truthfully, it is coming at a time we need it badly. 

38 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Truthfully, it is coming at a time we need it badly. 

Jokes about trap game aside, I do worry about the Steelers game.  They just beat the Bucs.  The Eagles need the bye to rest up some injuries but coming off that with 6-0 and having another home game they need to stay focused.  I like that Hurts keeps talking about not being fully satisfied, knowing they can do better.  Gotta keep that focus.  Eventually they will lose games but you don't want it to be because they slacked off or lost focus.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RICWOOFLAIR said:

They gave 130 yards on 40 Carrie’s lol….3.5 yards a carry. Rush screwed them over….

Oh......so 130 yards on the ground doesn't count?  It's an average......that doesn't tell the story.  They couldn't stop the eagles run game when THEY HAD TO in the 4th quarter.  With 2 backups in........

Look, Dallas pash rush is very good.....but it masks some other issues that are mainly ignored,  If you want to be a cowpie defense fan, then go ahead.  They're overrated, they are not the best defense in the league.  

2 hours ago, NOTW said:

Jokes about trap game aside, I do worry about the Steelers game.  They just beat the Bucs.  The Eagles need the bye to rest up some injuries but coming off that with 6-0 and having another home game they need to stay focused.  I like that Hurts keeps talking about not being fully satisfied, knowing they can do better.  Gotta keep that focus.  Eventually they will lose games but you don't want it to be because they slacked off or lost focus.

Feels like it’s been since the Reid years that we were good coming out of a bye. Now it seems to slow our momentum a bit. Even in 2017, we started off the game in Dallas slow and trailed at the half. Not to mention the slow start to the Falcons game. I think it’s very justifiable being tense about coming off the bye. 

35 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Feels like it’s been since the Reid years that we were good coming out of a bye. Now it seems to slow our momentum a bit. Even in 2017, we started off the game in Dallas slow and trailed at the half. Not to mention the slow start to the Falcons game. I think it’s very justifiable being tense about coming off the bye. 

With Doug's teams, they often started slow in game or even losing games then having to have this "backs against the wall" recovery.  You don't have to keep worrying about that if you play with that intensity all the time.  

This team is starting strong especially 2nd quarter then flat after half.  The bye is a good time to study and prepare and implement some changes to keep a balanced attack the whole game.

12 hours ago, NOTW said:

Beat me to it.

9 hours ago, 20dawk4life said:

That team went to the Super Bowl. 

• Like 1

Dunno about you guys but I feel that our top priority in the next draft should be finding Lane's successor, or at least someone who can be an effective backup.

19 hours ago, opa-opa said:

Dunno about you guys but I feel that our top priority in the next draft should be finding Lane's successor, or at least someone who can be an effective backup.

Potentially they could just move Mialata there and insert Dillard in at LT. He’s shown that at worse he’s a capable pass blocker though I do have concerns about his durability. I feel like Mialata is better suited to be a RT than LT considering how he can sometimes get beat by faster DEs. 

18 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Potentially they could just move Mialata there and insert Dillard in at LT. He’s shown that at worse he’s a capable pass blocker though I do have concerns about his durability. I feel like Mialata is better suited to be a RT than LT considering how he can sometimes get beat by faster DEs. 

On 10/17/2022 at 5:48 PM, opa-opa said:

Can't say I like the idea of moving Mailata to RT and putting Dillard at LT (as a long term thing).  With the way Lane is playing, he's here at least through next year and maybe even 2024...given he stays healthy, obviously.  Dillard is gone after this year.

I like Driscoll as a backup RT.  He started off rough against Dallas but settled in better as the game went.  He's solid and a good backup swing tackle.  He's probably better than a decent amount of starting RT's in the NFL, IMO. 

To get a new RT on the level of Lane, we'd more than likely have to spend a very high 1st round draft pick on someone.  I don't think that'll happen in the 2023 draft, but possibly the 2024 draft.  If anything else, I'd be confident in giving Driscoll a shot as a starter for a season before deciding if I needed to burn a premium draft pick at that position.

2 minutes ago, EaglesAddict said:

Can't say I like the idea of moving Mailata to RT and putting Dillard at LT (as a long term thing).  With the way Lane is playing, he's here at least through next year and maybe even 2024...given he stays healthy, obviously.  Dillard is gone after this year.

I like Driscoll as a backup RT.  He started off rough against Dallas but settled in better as the game went.  He's solid and a good backup swing tackle.  He's probably better than a decent amount of starting RT's in the NFL, IMO. 

To get a new RT on the level of Lane, we'd more than likely have to spend a very high 1st round draft pick on someone.  I don't think that'll happen in the 2023 draft, but possibly the 2024 draft.  If anything else, I'd be confident in giving Driscoll a shot as a starter for a season before deciding if I needed to burn a premium draft pick at that position.

I don’t really feel like Mialata is a true LT. He gets beat a lot more than people realize. Brain Balldinger has these tweets up showing how Kelce flattened Demarcus Lawrence on a few plays. What people aren’t noticing is Mialata getting beat by his man and chasing him down. Mialata is more suited to play RT and I wouldn’t be so sure Dillard is gone after this season. This team brought Barnett back when everyone thought he was gone. The Eagles have had multiple chances to trade Dillard and have passed each time. But hey if thing keep playing out the way that they are the Eagles will still have a top 5 pick in the draft. At that point they can select Lane’s replacement, though I still think I’d rather have a different LT. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

I don’t really feel like Mialata is a true LT. He gets beat a lot more than people realize. Brain Balldinger has these tweets up showing how Kelce flattened Demarcus Lawrence on a few plays. What people aren’t noticing is Mialata getting beat by his man and chasing him down. Mialata is more suited to play RT and I wouldn’t be so sure Dillard is gone after this season. This team brought Barnett back when everyone thought he was gone. The Eagles have had multiple chances to trade Dillard and have passed each time. But hey if thing keep playing out the way that they are the Eagles will still have a top 5 pick in the draft. At that point they can select Lane’s replacement, though I still think I’d rather have a different LT. 

I disagree about Mailata. Even the best LTs give up pressures and occasionally a sack. He's not a finished product. He was playing a little better last season and I expect him to play better as the season goes on. Also, there were a lot of people around here thinking the Eagles should have rested his injury until after the bye. I was happy to see him play through it. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

I disagree about Mailata. Even the best LTs give up pressures and occasionally a sack. He's not a finished product. He was playing a little better last season and I expect him to play better as the season goes on. Also, there were a lot of people around here thinking the Eagles should have rested his injury until after the bye. I was happy to see him play through it. 

Yeah it’s kind of been a thing in my opinion. I don’t think Mialata is a bad player by any stretch, but I feel he’s better suited for RT than LT. At least if he’s at RT Hurts can see the pressure although it seems like he has eyes in the back of his head, because he rarely gets sacked from behind.

2 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

They have? I've never heard of even one chance of trading him.  There's been much speculation that he could be traded for the right price, but if the price isn't right then he's more valuable to keep around  vs sending him out for a day 3 pick.

Dillard will almost certainly be sought after quickly in free agency where he will get paid to be a starter somewhere.  Lane isn't gonna retire after this season so Mailata ain't moving to RT anytime soon and likely never will.  

I do see what you're saying from time to time about Mailata getting beat at times, but he's certainly not a liability at LT.  He's in the upper echelon of LT's in the NFL.