No Sacks Last Night, Only 4 QB Hits

weko

We need to add a vet pass rusher with size.  Sweat just isn't that good.  He looks like he's limping when he runs.  Wonder how strong his knee is.  BG can still get to the QB but he is playing less than half the snaps. Does anyone have an opinion on how Williams is doing?   Our D line, as far as getting to the QB, isn't as good as its reputation.  Howie needs to spend a 4 or 5 and get us another DE who can get to the QB

• Haha 1

Yeah, definitely wouldn't surprise me to see Howie bring someone in close to the trade deadline as a swing for the fences type move. 

• Like 2

doesn't Dallas have a really good O-line? The Eagles aren't perfect but their record is. 

Overall, I'm happy with the results of the game. My only consistent gripe is that lack of scoring in the 2nd half is going to bite us in the arse eventually. 

• Like 6

26-17

How often is Gannon ordering the blitz? It seems like they're usually creating pressure sending 4. Occasionally 5.

• Like 1

We're joint sixth in sacks and the Cowboys were holding like m'fers all game, and we're still not blitzing much.

Even if the sack numbers were low we're hurrying QB's into throwing more picks than we've had in years.

Our defense is night and day better than last year, and last year the defense got better as the season went on.

We're 6-0.

• Like 9

Is this another example of enjoying the ecstasy of victory at night then reading about its agony the next morning? We're 6-0 and all phases, in all ways, have contributed big. Remember the game v WAS? How many sacks? Take another toke, my brother, and enjoy the present because the future may not be what we hope for

• Like 5

Yesterday the DL didn't get a ton of pressure and didn't get any sacks but they still did enough at times to force some turnovers. And they do that without really blitzing a great deal and in fact I'm not sure they blitzed at all Yesterday. 

Would we like to see more sacks? Yeah of course. Would we like to see Gannon blitz a little more often? Yeah that would be good. And do we need to add a good DE? I certainly think it would help this team to be even better yeah. But this defense is playing pretty well and we are 6-0 so things are pretty good right now. 

• Like 3

The Cowboys did a lot to try and get the ball out of Rush’s hands quickly in this one. The Eagles defense did make him pay for mistakes. I thought the Eagles could have done more to blitz in this one, but I’m far more concerned with the run defense than the pass rush. They made Zeke look good last night. Their bad run defense helped the Cowboys stay in this game. 

F011AF5A-9846-4518-8529-BBEC8BFE3F9B.jpeg

• Like 1

My only concern, and it’s minor, is lack of covering tight ends. I’m sure it’s schemed to allow the lesser pass play, but it does seem they get the run of the field for 5 yard passes

dline did well harrying Rush last night. Hard to get a ton of sacks when rushing just 4. They got tired against the no huddle and allowed more rush yards than you’d prefer but honestly this is all small stuff considering how well they’re playing overall

36 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

Exactly. Pressure all night. It's ok if there were no sacks. Rush got the ball out fast, out of necessity.

The Dallas Oline is not that good without Tyler Smith.    In the 3rd quarter, when our guys were not getting any pressure, Gannon still refused to blitz protecting the lead.   He let Rush get comfortable, while Dallas was bringing the house at times against Jalen.

Because of the huge 2nd quarter leads the Eagles have had, Gannon has been bailed out IMO.  But, his lack of adjustments is a concern.   Dallas adjusted in the 2nd half and Gannon did not.    In fact, the same has been true in every game so far.    Even Washington was able to move the ball in the 2nd half, they just failed in the red zone late in the game.    Eventually, Gannon's conservative play in the 2nd half is going to catch up with him.

Being 6-0 is great.    But, I do think that Gannon needs to react with pressure a little earlier in the 2nd half when the opposing QB has tons of time to throw.  He is too afraid of giving up a big play and he should trust our outstanding secondary more.     I don't think Dallas has any more talent along the DL than the Eagles do.  But yet, they seem to be a lot more effective at rushing the passer.  Gannon plays vanilla 4 man fronts.   No stunts.  Nothing to confuse the QB last night.   It almost cost them.    The team was bailed out by the outstanding, time consuming drive in the 4th quarter.

Winning the turnover battle won the game.    But, in a turnover free game, the Dallas D outperfomed our guys.   And, I don't think they are more talented.    If we underachieve the rest of the season, it won't be because of a lack of talent.   It will be because of the lack of adjustments by Gannon.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, weko said:

We need to add a vet pass rusher with size.  Sweat just isn't that good.  He looks like he's limping when he runs.  Wonder how strong his knee is.  BG can still get to the QB but he is playing less than half the snaps. Does anyone have an opinion on how Williams is doing?   Our D line, as far as getting to the QB, isn't as good as its reputation.  Howie needs to spend a 4 or 5 and get us another DE who can get to the QB

Josh Sweat signed a 3 year, $40,000,000 contract with the Philadelphia Eagles, including a $10,000,000 signing bonus, $26,900,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $13,333,333. In 2022, Sweat will earn a base salary of $1,035,000 and a signing bonus of $2,965,000, while carrying a cap hit of $3,628,000 and a dead cap value of $33,340,000.

-- Source Spotrac Partnered with USA Today, site source stated from: NFL contract specifics generally collected from verified reports.

---------------------

They should give Shaun Bradley a few attempts at RE.

• Sad 1

Pressures creat erratic throws which help the CB with int. If the QB is sacked they live to play another down. I much rather have 3 int than 3 sacks any day of the week. 

• Like 3

As a self proclaimed Negadelphian. I got nothin. They gettin it done. 👍👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Y'all remember when this guy called him "Pumphrey Sweat" in the 411 section for like 2 years straight?  😂

As others have already said they don't get 3 int's without the pressure applied nearly exclusively from the dline. I always want more pass rushers but they are getting to the opposing QB just fine this year so far as reflected by being 6th in the whole league in sacks.

• Like 1

Sacks like turnovers come in bunches, I'm not going to complain about sacks when we forced 3 turnovers. Gannon scheme isn't blitz heavy and never will be so might as well get used to it instead of beeching about it every week. 

1 hour ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Sacks like turnovers come in bunches, I'm not going to complain about sacks when we forced 3 turnovers. Gannon scheme isn't blitz heavy and never will be so might as well get used to it instead of beeching about it every week. 

The Eagles turnover differential is on a different level from the rest of the league. They take the ball away and rarely give it up.

DDE2F2E2-9722-4D28-AE5A-D311F2C5DAEC.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

The Eagles turnover differential is on a different level from the rest of the league. They take the ball away and rarely give it up.

DDE2F2E2-9722-4D28-AE5A-D311F2C5DAEC.jpeg

The expectations for defense from this fan base is ridiculous most times. They could of just gave up a field goal and all they would bish about is how they gave up the field goal. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Exactly.  Now if we have a game where the defense gets 0 INTs, 0 sacks, 0 FF/FRs, then I could see more of an issue with complaining.  Although, even with none of those things technically a defense could still have a "good game". 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

The expectations for defense from this fan base is ridiculous most times. They could of just gave up a field goal and all they would bish about is how they gave up the field goal. 

Yeah. People are complaining that an undefeated team isn’t better undefeated. Some people want to be miserable I guess. 

• Like 1

On 10/17/2022 at 1:31 PM, weko said:

Ignore the laughing and crazy smiley faces, you're spot on with needing DE's that get get pressure on the QB, and you're right again, get'em with size.

I'm not sure trading away picks would render anyone better than what we have but I'd surely be looking for DE's in the draft.

Turnovers >>> Sacks.

Stating the obvious, but with TO’s you give your Team an extra possession and simultaneously take away a possession from your opponent.

Win win!!