Philadelphia Eagles at Houston Texans - TNF

JournalistMic

The Philadelphia Eagles go on the road to Houston this Thursday night, so how do the teams matchup:  

(Eagles are favored to win by 13.5 points according to Draftkings as of 31OCT22)

Houston Texans

Offense

Texans are 28th in the NFL in passing yards, 1,502 yards, 30th in Passing Tds with 8, 29th in interceptions with 6.

Texans are 28th in the NFL in rushing yards, 647 yards, tied for last in NFL with only 3 rushing tds. and twp fumbles. 

29th in NFL with negative net points of -38 of course tied for lowest amount of total touchdowns with 11 heading into week 9.
Houston's record is 1-5-1

Defense

Texans are 23rd in the NFL in passing yards, having only allowed 1,523 passing yards and 2nd in NFL for only allowing 5 passing TDs.

Texans are the NFL's worst team in stopping the run, allowing 1,302 rushing yards and tied 28th for allowing 10 rushing TDs.

Philadelphia Eagles

Offense

Eagles are 15th in the NFL in passing yards, 1,822 yards, 19th in NFL with passing 10 Tds, QB rating of 105 only giving up 2 INTS and QB lost no fumbles.

Eagles are 9th in the NFL in rushing yards, 1,047 yards, 1st in the NFL with 14 rushing TDS!

Defense

Eagles are 1st in Pass Defense in the NFL allowing only 1,284 yards and only allowing 8 passing touchdowns (week 1 Lions game).

Eagles are 9th in Rush Defense in the NFL allowing 803 yards and 13 in NFL allowing 6 rushing touchdowns.

Strategy to win

Eagles Defense is so far superior to the Texans offense that they should just play a lot of zone and maybe practice the occasional blitz early on in the game.

The Texans are so bad at stopping the run, and Eagles are so incredibly great at it that to win the recipe is simple which the Eagles have cooked up all season;

Don't Turn the ball over

Run the ball, and stop the Run

Eagles win 42 to 13

This is the perfect time to have the short week coming off the bye week. Still being fresh they get extended time off after the game. I don’t see much of a reason why the Eagles would lose to the Texans. Anything can happen each week sure, but the Eagles are the more talented football team and the Texans have no real motivation to get up to play the Eagles other than wanting to end their undefeated streak. Feels like a 35-13 kind of game. 

• Like 1

C.J. Gardner-Johnson is tied for the most INTs in the NFL with 4

Week 8 vs Steelers C.J. Gardner-Johnson had 1 sack, 1 INT, 1 PDef, 8 tackles, 6 solo and (why don't we have a nickname for him yet)?  

Week 7 bye week

Week 6 vs Cowboys C.J. Gardner-Johnson had 2 INTs, 2 Pdef, 4 tackles (2 solo)

Week 5 vs Cardinals  C.J. Gardner-Johnson had 1 INT, 1 Pdef, and 10 tackles 9 solo.

week 1 to 4 on a different team.

Can we give this man some more love?  He deserves it!

"Ceedy Duce”

• Like 2

And you have what may be the ultimate TV conflict with this game:

As many know, NFL broadcast rules require games airing on cable as well as Amazon Prime and Twitch (Twitch airs Amazon Prime games for FREE if you don't have Amazon Prime) must air over-the-air in the home markets of the teams playing.  Since in this case Thursday was supposed to be a travel day between Games 5 & 6 (if necessary), FOX Owned and Operated stations in Philly and Houston both are scheduled to air Eagles-Texans.  This (for at least now) apparently is forcing FOX to also air WS Game 5 on FS1 due to Eagles-Texans as it affects viewers in the home markets of both teams playing in the World Series.  

What I could see happening is FOX, the NFL and Amazon working on a deal where Eagles-Texans is moved up to 4:25 PM ET with World Series Game 1 pushed back to 9:05 PM ET (so that even if Eagles-Texans went to a five-quarter tie it would still end before WS Game 5 first pitch) and the NFL finds a way to compensate Amazon Prime (perhaps next year starting the season with a Wednesday night opener on NBC and Amazon getting a Week 1 Thursday nighter to make up with the Week 2 Thursday nighter being between teams who played Wednesday or Thursday in Week 1).  The one thing that could torpedo such would be the station managers of NBC affiliates in New York and across the northeast and mid-Atlantic regions concerned having a Wednesday night opener could cost them late-night viewership for The Tonight Show after the game if it happens to be an epic night at the US Open Tennis Championships (last quarterfinal for men and women) where both matches are marathons that cause the night session at Flushing Meadows to run well past Midnight in New York and many viewers going to ESPN to watch that as soon as the NFL season opener ended (whereas on Thursday it's the women's semifinals that are not anywhere near as likely to run as late as there have been nights otherwise where the night session at the US Open has run past 2:00 AM ET). Otherwise, this is the lesser evil and likely the best way to tackle this particular issue.

37 minutes ago, Wallyhorse said:

As many know, NFL broadcast rules require games airing on cable as well as Amazon Prime and Twitch (Twitch airs Amazon Prime games for FREE if you don't have Amazon Prime) must air over-the-air in the home markets of the teams playing.  Since in this case Thursday was supposed to be a travel day between Games 5 & 6 (if necessary), FOX Owned and Operated stations in Philly and Houston both are scheduled to air Eagles-Texans.  This (for at least now) apparently is forcing FOX to also air WS Game 5 on FS1 due to Eagles-Texans as it affects viewers in the home markets of both teams playing in the World Series.  

What I could see happening is FOX, the NFL and Amazon working on a deal where Eagles-Texans is moved up to 4:25 PM ET with World Series Game 1 pushed back to 9:05 PM ET (so that even if Eagles-Texans went to a five-quarter tie it would still end before WS Game 5 first pitch) and the NFL finds a way to compensate Amazon Prime (perhaps next year starting the season with a Wednesday night opener on NBC and Amazon getting a Week 1 Thursday nighter to make up with the Week 2 Thursday nighter being between teams who played Wednesday or Thursday in Week 1).  The one thing that could torpedo such would be the station managers of NBC affiliates in New York and across the northeast and mid-Atlantic regions concerned having a Wednesday night opener could cost them late-night viewership for The Tonight Show after the game if it happens to be an epic night at the US Open Tennis Championships (last quarterfinal for men and women) where both matches are marathons that cause the night session at Flushing Meadows to run well past Midnight in New York and many viewers going to ESPN to watch that as soon as the NFL season opener ended (whereas on Thursday it's the women's semifinals that are not anywhere near as likely to run as late as there have been nights otherwise where the night session at the US Open has run past 2:00 AM ET). Otherwise, this is the lesser evil and likely the best way to tackle this particular issue.

It’s not even an option for me. I love the Phillies but the Eagles are my passion. I’ll watch the Eagles unless it turns into a blowout which I can definitely see happening.

18 hours ago, JournalistMic said:

The Philadelphia Eagles go on the road to Houston this Thursday night, so how do the teams matchup:  

(Eagles are favored to win by 13.5 points according to Draftkings as of 31OCT22)

Houston Texans

Offense

Texans are 28th in the NFL in passing yards, 1,502 yards, 30th in Passing Tds with 8, 29th in interceptions with 6.

Texans are 28th in the NFL in rushing yards, 647 yards, tied for last in NFL with only 3 rushing tds. and twp fumbles. 

29th in NFL with negative net points of -38 of course tied for lowest amount of total touchdowns with 11 heading into week 9.
Houston's record is 1-5-1

Defense

Texans are 23rd in the NFL in passing yards, having only allowed 1,523 passing yards and 2nd in NFL for only allowing 5 passing TDs.

Texans are the NFL's worst team in stopping the run, allowing 1,302 rushing yards and tied 28th for allowing 10 rushing TDs.

Philadelphia Eagles

Offense

Eagles are 15th in the NFL in passing yards, 1,822 yards, 19th in NFL with passing 10 Tds, QB rating of 105 only giving up 2 INTS and QB lost no fumbles.

Eagles are 9th in the NFL in rushing yards, 1,047 yards, 1st in the NFL with 14 rushing TDS!

Defense

Eagles are 1st in Pass Defense in the NFL allowing only 1,284 yards and only allowing 8 passing touchdowns (week 1 Lions game).

Eagles are 9th in Rush Defense in the NFL allowing 803 yards and 13 in NFL allowing 6 rushing touchdowns.

Strategy to win

Eagles Defense is so far superior to the Texans offense that they should just play a lot of zone and maybe practice the occasional blitz early on in the game.

The Texans are so bad at stopping the run, and Eagles are so incredibly great at it that to win the recipe is simple which the Eagles have cooked up all season;

Don't Turn the ball over

Run the ball, and stop the Run

Eagles win 42 to 13

Statistics such as total yards are rendered somewhat meaningless due to the byes. Better metric would be yards per game. And, of course the Eagles should win handily, but I'm not sure how they get 42 points if they run the ball the whole game as you suggest.

• Like 1

The Texans are releasing thier new battle red uniforms for Thursday night. Very apt as it will be a bloodbath. My first Eagles game in person after 8 years. So excited......

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

What I could see happening is FOX, the NFL and Amazon working on a deal where Eagles-Texans is moved up to 4:25 PM ET with World Series Game 1 pushed back to 9:05 PM ET (so that even if Eagles-Texans went to a five-quarter tie it would still end before WS Game 5 first pitch) and the NFL finds a way to compensate Amazon Prime (perhaps next year starting the season with a Wednesday night opener on NBC and Amazon getting a Week 1 Thursday nighter to make up with the Week 2 Thursday nighter being between teams who played Wednesday or Thursday in Week 1). 

Zero chance that is going to happen.

7 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

Zero chance that is going to happen.

Under normal circumstances, this would not even be a consideration.  This is a case that is NEVER likely to come up again.   The chances of a situation happening like this ever again are astronomical. 

36 minutes ago, Wallyhorse said:

Under normal circumstances, this would not even be a consideration.  This is a case that is NEVER likely to come up again.   The chances of a situation happening like this ever again are astronomical. 

Problem is you’re thinking about avoiding clashing with the World Series.

But a game that starts during 9-5 work hours (plus commute) will get SIGNIFICANTLY less ratings than a game that’s competing with the WS.

Theres a reason a game has never been schedule M-F before 7PM unless a holiday. What it’s competing against for rating is always irrelevant compared to that alternative

4 minutes ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

Problem is you’re thinking about avoiding clashing with the World Series.

But a game that starts during 9-5 work hours (plus commute) will get SIGNIFICANTLY less ratings than a game that’s competing with the WS.

Theres a reason a game has never been schedule M-F before 7PM unless a holiday. What it’s competing against for rating is always irrelevant compared to that alternative

MLB has had playoff games in the afternoon during the week for YEARS.  In fact, prior to 1971, ALL World Series games were in the daytime.  

This would be a ONE-TIME-ONLY case of moving an NFL game on a Thursday to 4:25 because of extraordinary circumstances.  This has to do with the fact FOX-owned stations in Philly AND Houston were committed to airing Eagles-Texans long before Monday's rainout put Astros-Phillies Game 5 on Thursday.  This would specifically be so those stations can handle their contractual commitments AND air World Series Game 5 from first pitch (also why I move Astros-Phillies Game 5 to 9:05 PM ET so that even if Eagles-Texans winds up a 4 1/2 hour marathon that ends in a five-quarter tie, people in Philly and Houston get both games all the way through).  The chances of this EVER coming up again are virtually NIL. 

22 minutes ago, Wallyhorse said:

MLB has had playoff games in the afternoon during the week for YEARS.  In fact, prior to 1971, ALL World Series games were in the daytime.  

This would be a ONE-TIME-ONLY case of moving an NFL game on a Thursday to 4:25 because of extraordinary circumstances.  This has to do with the fact FOX-owned stations in Philly AND Houston were committed to airing Eagles-Texans long before Monday's rainout put Astros-Phillies Game 5 on Thursday.  This would specifically be so those stations can handle their contractual commitments AND air World Series Game 5 from first pitch (also why I move Astros-Phillies Game 5 to 9:05 PM ET so that even if Eagles-Texans winds up a 4 1/2 hour marathon that ends in a five-quarter tie, people in Philly and Houston get both games all the way through).  The chances of this EVER coming up again are virtually NIL. 

Just like the chances of this happening...... NIL! 

2 hours ago, manz2821 said:

The Texans are releasing thier new battle red uniforms for Thursday night. Very apt as it will be a bloodbath. My first Eagles game in person after 8 years. So excited......

Have a great day, man! I only have been to see the Eagles live once, in London. I felt among my people, it was beyond fantastic. Enjoy!

UPDATE:

Eagles game will now be on PHL-17 in Philly and on FOX's sister station (My20) in Houston.  

This was not really made public even though it came out Monday.

5 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

UPDATE:

Eagles game will now be on PHL-17 in Philly and on FOX's sister station (My20) in Houston.  

So for the umpteenth time, your crazy scheduling prediction isn’t even close to accurate. Not trying to be a dick, but why put so much time into way over thinking a scenario that never comes close to what actually happens?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EagleJoe8 said:

So for the umpteenth time, your crazy scheduling prediction isn’t even close to accurate. Not trying to be a dick, but why put so much time into way over thinking a scenario that never comes close to what actually happens?

That was based on the information that was available at the time.  This didn't get the publicity it should have. 

3 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

This didn't get the publicity it should have. 

Should've been the lead story on Action News. Can't believe the media buried it. 🙄

23 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

I'll have my outdoor TV tuned to the Eagles and the indoor TV tuned to the Phillies.

IMG_6274.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Eh, he's not hurting anyone. Obviously it's something that is REALLY interesting to him for some reason. :lol:

18 minutes ago, Paul852 said:

Eh, he's not hurting anyone. Obviously it's something that is REALLY interesting to him for some reason. :lol:

Oh I know. I just don’t get it lol. Seems like a lot of over thinking, and I’m always curious what makes someone think in that way, especially if it never comes to fruition lol. 

12 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Oh I know. I just don’t get it lol. Seems like a lot of over thinking, and I’m always curious what makes someone think in that way, especially if it never comes to fruition lol. 

My theory is that he's actually a robot and this is just how he was programmed. 

• Haha 1

I live in Houston and taking son (Texans fan)  I've only been to one other Eagles game in Dallas since I moved from South Jersey 10 years ago. 

21 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

UPDATE:

Mine still shows eagles on fox and Phillies on mynetworktv and espn2