Justin Jefferson (LSU WR) -- DRAFTED BY MINNESOTA #22

Iggles_Phan

I know there are a lot of folks who believe he's just a slot WR.  I am not one of them.  I believe he is a weapon, and he's a weapon that can be lined up inside and outside.  I expect that he's going to be a very good pro, and likely a better pro than Jeudy, Ruggs and Lamb.  

Adding him though means... they would want to double dip and grab another WR... one with more pure speed, for example John Hightower later in late Round 3 or Round 4. 

• Like 1

I agree that he has the higher floor. In the event that the Eagles can't trade up for one of the top 3 guys, I'd be happy with either Jefferson or Reagor in the 1st round.

• Like 1

Regardless of who they take in round one, it’s pretty much mandatory that they double dip on WR anyway. I mean there are really only four WRs even on the roster right now: Jeffery, Jackson, Ward and JJAW. And unless something has changed, I’m under the impression that Alshon won’t even be ready to go by opening day if the season does start on time. Then add in that DJax can’t be counted to stay healthy, and JJAW so far is looking like a bust... I’ll be concerned if they don’t draft two receivers. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, nipples said:

Regardless of who they take in round one, it’s pretty much mandatory that they double dip on WR anyway. I mean there are really only four WRs even on the roster right now: Jeffery, Jackson, Ward and JJAW. And unless something has changed, I’m under the impression that Alshon won’t even be ready to go by opening day if the season does start on time. Then add in that DJax can’t be counted to stay healthy, and JJAW so far is looking like a bust... I’ll be concerned if they don’t draft two receivers. 

Agreed.  My point was more related to the type of WR for the double dip.  

Jefferson will be one of the better receivers out of this draft. I am fully confident in that. Being an LSU fan, I especially loved this past season. He will absolutely shred in the slot and I believe he can play outside as well.

Just now, JSEagle said:

Jefferson will be one of the better receivers out of this draft. I am fully confident in that.

I think he will be as well and to all those that say he's only a slot. Guess what we need a slot and a Z and a X all in the next 2 years. Take the best WR you can. If we dont move up for Jeudy, lamb or Ruggs, and Jefferson is there, you take him. 

9 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

I think he will be as well and to all those that say he's only a slot. Guess what we need a slot and a Z and a X all in the next 2 years. Take the best WR you can. If we dont move up for Jeudy, lamb or Ruggs, and Jefferson is there, you take him. 

Wholeheartedly agree. I understand we need help on the outside. I understand people have pause when it comes to Jefferson. I understand you can "find a slot receiver later in the draft". I get all of that.

He has fantastic hands and put in work in the SEC. He has a much better track record than a lot of these players coming out.  Much more faith in him than a guy like Ruggs.

On 4/21/2020 at 11:14 AM, DeathByEagle said:

Slot isnt as great a need considering our great TE play. Preferable someone skilled both inside and out but thats wishful thinking. We will see if Jefferson is that guy. To be honest the track record that the Eagles have with receivers has me worried for whoever we pick outside of the top 3

• Like 1

2 hours ago, judunno said:

Slot isnt as great a need considering our great TE play. Preferable someone skilled both inside and out but thats wishful thinking. We will see if Jefferson is that guy. To be honest the track record that the Eagles have with receivers has me worried for whoever we pick outside of the top 3

Yeah I'd agree there. I'm a fan of Jefferson but I just think there are better fits for what we need. We can use Ertz and Goedert in the slot plus we have Ward who is decent. 

47 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah I'd agree there. I'm a fan of Jefferson but I just think there are better fits for what we need. We can use Ertz and Goedert in the slot plus we have Ward who is decent. 

See I'm a believer that we will not have Ertz and Goedert for long. Dallas will want to be a starter or he's going to leave. He will get a big contract from any team that needs a tight end. There's no reason he would want to stay here making the same money to be a backup when he can be a starter somewhere else. So whether it's us keepong Ertz or were keeping Goedert, I do not see them both being here in the long term so we do need a slot. Not to mention how often we use three plus wide receivers like the rest of the league. We only use more 2 TE because we don't have many solid WRs. 

I love this kid. If the top 3 are gone this is a no brainier 

Jefferson is an awesome receiver, so it seems. Remember we all thought that with Agholor and with Arcega-Whiteside. Most times it is risky taking one in the first round and often it is better to take the defensive guy with the mean streak. Hopefully we can get a decent pick in the second round if not the first.

2 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

See I'm a believer that we will not have Ertz and Goedert for long. Dallas will want to be a starter or he's going to leave. He will get a big contract from any team that needs a tight end. There's no reason he would want to stay here making the same money to be a backup when he can be a starter somewhere else. So whether it's us keepong Ertz or were keeping Goedert, I do not see them both being here in the long term so we do need a slot. Not to mention how often we use three plus wide receivers like the rest of the league. We only use more 2 TE because we don't have many solid WRs. 

Most likely the way the front office decides things, we keep Goedert due to Ertz wanting a really high pay day. Ertz has been around for awhile now and has had his bell rung once or twice already. > concussion and hamstring issue in 2017, 2 weeks for displaced ribs in 2016 and another concussion back in 2015. Ertz also needed sports hernia surgery before the 2015 campaign began, then tack on a cracked rib and he suffered a lacerated kidney. Dallas came on last season and is expected to really break out this year if the season ever begins.

Would love this pick. Can play everywhere. Wants to win. Good person. Hard worker. Elite hands. Good speed. Great route runner. 

He won't be there at 21. 

10 hours ago, AzBirdGang said:

Would love this pick. Can play everywhere. Wants to win. Good person. Hard worker. Elite hands. Good speed. Great route runner. 

He won't be there at 21. 

I would be surprised if he is not there at 21. 

2 hours ago, nipples said:

I would be surprised if he is not there at 21. 

You think a lot of the hype of him going earlier is just that? Hype?

17 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

You think a lot of the hype of him going earlier is just that? Hype?

Yep. I mean I don’t think he’s a bad player, he’ll be a good steady starter. I just don’t see how suddenly he has gone from a 2nd round projection to a top 20. 

I feel like taking him at 21 is a slight stretch even. But we will see. 

9 minutes ago, nipples said:

Yep. I mean I don’t think he’s a bad player, he’ll be a good steady starter. I just don’t see how suddenly he has gone from a 2nd round projection to a top 20. 

I feel like taking him at 21 is a slight stretch even. But we will see. 

I mean who really knows. Perhaps he's always been high on boards? It's just the draft analysts didn't have him as high earlier in the process. 

3 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I mean who really knows. Perhaps he's always been high on boards? It's just the draft analysts didn't have him as high earlier in the process. 

I have no clue I guess, I just have trouble seeing him be the type of receiver to climb the boards that high. WRs taken that high tend to be gamebreakers. Jefferson is a good solid possession guy, but he isn’t going to make big plays all over like the top three receivers in this draft, or even Reagor or Mims. 

1 minute ago, nipples said:

I have no clue I guess, I just have trouble seeing him be the type of receiver to climb the boards that high. WRs ramen that high tend to be gamebreakers. Jefferson is a good solid possession guy, but he isn’t going to make big plays all over like the top three receivers in this draft, or even Reagor or Mims. 

He's going to be an important piece for a team though I feel. He's a high volume guy that could be the main weapon for a team. I agree though he's not an explosive weapon. 

22 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

He's going to be an important piece for a team though I feel. He's a high volume guy that could be the main weapon for a team. I agree though he's not an explosive weapon. 

Jefferson is one of those solid players that will be a good player for many many years. He won;t be that play maker or superstar that will make your jaw drop but hes consistent. He is a safe pick that will get you production for many years. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

Jefferson is one of those solid players that will be a good player for many many years. He won;t be that play maker or superstar that will make your jaw drop but hes consistent. He is a safe pick that will get you production for many years. 

And some teams will take that safe pick that will be productive for many years.

On 4/21/2020 at 9:40 AM, nipples said:

There are more than one way to skin the cat though.  A lot of WR's on rosters are going to become available after 25 new ones get drafted in the first 4 rds.  DJ Moore of Carolina has been mentioned but there will be plenty of others available for a 3rd day pick or maybe a player trade.

With a sure to be shortened off season you don't want to be relying too much on rookie Wr's.