Tight End is a major issue

Hawkeye

4 hours ago, jojodancer said:

They need to be more creative here with the game plan here with Goedert out. Game plan was lacking last week. Need to use running backs more in the screen game and more Tyree Jackson. Calcaterra is basically playing in a redshirt season here in my mind by getting a few snaps here and there. I'd develop Jackson right now and see what you got, as he's more well rounded. But they are gonna ease him in with no preseason and coming off an ACL. Stoll should just keep being who he is and play the supplementary TE position and role in the offense. Not trying to expand his game much. I want way more snaps this game for Jackson especially in the red zone. I'd deactivate GC this week since GB is weaker vs. the run. Give Jurgens some snaps at TE as well, in obvious run situations. Bring up Devon Allen for PR snaps and see what you have there with GC deactivated. Covey feels like such a wasted roster spot right now. Waive him and put him on practice squad. No one will claim him. I'd sign a vet RB to replace him on the roster. 

Agree with Jackson and Jurgens.  I don't think PR is that easy and I'm not sure that Devon Allen would be better at PR than Covey.   Allen might have the advantage at KR because straight line speed.  Covey has the advantage over Allen at 3 cone and 20 shuttle.  And PR is harder than KR,  Covey was good at both KR/PR in college.   I would definitely agree that, over time,  there has to be a better PR or KR than Covey. Covey hasn't done great, but he hasn't done bad, and it's not a guarantee that someone you get now isn't going to suck.  Even if you want to try other people, I would think that Covey should be kept because guaranteed competence.  If you try someone else and they do great,  at that point consider moving Covey. 

The 2 muffs and getting clocked each time are not too guaranteed in my eyes, but I hear you. I am not getting that feeling that he's about to break one. Doesn't seem to have that shiftiness he had in college and ability to break away. I think they have been crazy patient with him, which kind of surprises me. If Scott is getting kick returns, then I don't see the point of wasting a roster spot on that one role. Looking for something more dynamic here. Gotta keep trying. 

10 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

All that sounds great but I’ll settle for him staying on the field for the rest of the season to start.

true

On 11/26/2022 at 6:34 AM, Random Reglar said:

TYREE JACKSON
Versatile Potent Weapon
Not a proven competent TE yet

The Eagles should be ok through the season,  playoffs seem close to secure.
When will Goedert be back? 

Perhaps this is a good time to have Jackson get good at TE.

6'7 and 249 and 4.59
That 6'7 is rare and most TEs 6'7 or greater are slower. 
With his size and speed and 34.5 vert, he should win downfield contested catches. 

And he has a huge arm,  threw 55-60 yards a lot in college.   4.59 40 is the same as Hurts, and he ran pretty often in college and had a lot of huge runs.  He's not really being asked to run or throw, but those are the 2 things we know he does really well. 

Tyree could be Big Slot, he could go in motion through the backfield before the snap,  could just run a route, or block, could take a handoff,  could then run or throw. 

Yeah I've been reading about how Tyree Jackson is going to be a great TE for 2 years and he's broken a bone in his back and then tore his ACL, he's a taller Cornelius Ingram at this point.

3 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Yeah I've been reading about how Tyree Jackson is going to be a great TE for 2 years and he's broken a bone in his back and then tore his ACL, he's a taller Cornelius Ingram at this point.

yep, dude aint gonna play, we need goedert back, did stoll even catch a ball last night

1 minute ago, olsilverhair said:

yep, dude aint gonna play, we need goedert back, did stoll even catch a ball last night

The only TE catch I remember is Calcaterra in the flat for a loss

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, opa-opa said:

Might have to spend another high round pick on TE next year....

Fans want them to spend "high picks" on DT, DE, RT, RG, Safety.  And now TE?  Nah, maybe if the draft falls a certain way in the middle rounds they can draft a TE but they have other needs.  

Heavy run game vs the Packers, not even the WRs had a lot of catches.  Brown and Smith had 4 catches each, Watkins had 3, Grant Calcaterra had 1 catch.

3 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Fans want them to spend "high picks" on DT, DE, RT, RG, Safety.  And now TE?  Nah, maybe if the draft falls a certain way in the middle rounds they can draft a TE but they have other needs.  

Good thing they don't need a QB. 

1 hour ago, Hawkeye said:

Good thing they don't need a QB. 

Which means they'll be drafting one in the 2nd round right?  :ph34r:

:lol:

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

I will say that he's been injured too much.  He reminds of Terrelle Pryor, who kept getting injured wherever he was.  Hopefully he does not get injured.  Pryor had 1000+ yards receiving the only year he didn't miss multiple games,  he was still hurt that year, but was able to play.  Their size is similar.  They're tall, not too thin, but they're both thinner and lighter than the average player of that height.   The average 6'7 player is probably 300+,  the average 6'5 is over 260.   Maybe there's something about 6'5 233 or 6'7 249 guys getting hurt more often, especially when they have overall freakbeast RAS.  Pryor kept trying to get lighter and faster, and he kept getting hurt.  Perhaps, depending on what he loses,  Tyree Jackson should gain weight,  add more power.  If he's 6'7 270 and maybe 4.70,  and learns to block well, he'll have the size to block better than most TEs.  Theoretically, the idea is to figure out the right size for him where he doesn't get hurt. 

Harold Carmichael was 6'8 225.

I do think that Tyree has that huge ceiling with that running QB with huge arm background.  He's a potentially potent weapon.  The Eagles generally don't have a great need for that at this point.  They have a good number of proven quality weapons, and at this point, with Goedert out, they're using some of the other ones a little more.  Dialed down Goedert,  dialed up Hurts running.   But I could see scenarios before the end of 2024 where the Eagles need Tyree as a weapon,  making big plays.   It's hard to say how much money the Eagles are going to be able to spend after Hurts is signed.

On 11/21/2022 at 1:16 PM, Diehardfan said:

Someone joked about Gronk a few days ago. What do you bet Howie has made a call today though?

We’re gonna have to give FOX Sports at least two 1sts + Cris Collinsworth to make that deal happen 😛 

• Haha 1

We don't need a early-round TE.  Just a decent reliable vet that can give you something. 

Donald Parham from the Chargers is gonna be a free agent.  6'8, 235, young, actually flashed a bit.   Jordan Akins from the Texans.  Tyler Kroft.  Even someone like Austin Hooper is gonna be available, Titans gave him $6 million and he hasn't even sniffed living up to that number.  '

Plenty of decent vets will be available and none of them are going to break the bank.

Collective TE stats: 4 catches, 60 yards.

That's on a day that Brown & Smith both had 100 yards receiving.

That's pretty good for the backups while Goedert is out.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, NOTW said:

Collective TE stats: 4 catches, 60 yards.

That's on a day that Brown & Smith both had 100 yards receiving.

That's pretty good for the backups while Goedert is out.

Nah, should of figured it out the first game they lost an elite TE. 

I've been told that Stoll is the best blocking TE in the league

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Godfather said:

I've been told that Stoll is the best blocking TE in the league

He also made a nice special teams tackle. 

Jack Swoll :flex:

• Like 6

8 hours ago, NOTW said:

My god that hit he made early in the game on STs... That was beautiful. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, NOTW said:

What about that 20 yard catch? Looks like a gold jacket catch

• Like 1
  • Haha 1