Devon Witherspoon (Illinois CB) -- DRAFTED BY SEATTLE #5

philafan4o8

This may sound crazy but I think Devon Witherspoon may be a top-15 lock. He is not going to win the height, weight, and speed test when you compare him to Cam Smith, Kelee Ringo and Joey Porter but he just has IT. Nasty physicality in tackling, natural CB instincts, and fantastic man-to-man coverage CB. I think Devon Witherspoon may be the CB steal of the draft. Consistent all year in the big 10 (with Michigan on the schedule). 

Here is his quick information from PFF: Witherspoon put together one of the best seasons PFF has ever graded from a college cornerback. He was targeted 63 times and allowed only 22 catches for 206 yards with three picks and 14 pass breakups in 2022. That comes out to just 3.3 yards per target. He’s one of the feistiest cornerbacks in the draft class. 

He is going to be a riser in this draft but I also this he should be in play for #10 if all the D-line and O-Line prospects are drafted by that point. I think a corner at #10 is realistic because we can remember the rumblings of Jaycee Horn and Pat Surtain when they came out and the Eagles reportedly loved them. At 6'0" 180 lbs this Thorpe Award finalist should get serious consideration from the birds. Given, the holes in other CB prospects in this draft.

• Like 3

I like Witherspoon but gut says we won't take a CB in the top 10 (I think a pick that high is almost certainly going to go DL or OL).  I can see Witherspoon being in play if we were to trade down from 10 though.  Say Detroit wishes to move up from 18 for a player they covet - they offer 18 and 48 to do so.  They have the picks to do so (two 1s, two 2s) and were a borderline playoff team for the first time in years - they may feel compelled to make some big moves to get over that hump.  Witherspoon at 18 would be an ideal pick.  

Illinois' Devon Witherspoon is a physical corner who has high-end coverage technique. He looks as close to plug-and-play as you'll find in this year's crop of young DBs. Says PFF: "Witherspoon has been one of the best outside cornerbacks in the country this season, with an elite 92.6 grade in coverage and only 206 yards allowed all year. He now oozes first-round potential because of it."

--Jud Branam, Chargers Analyst

I like Witherspoon and I think he'd be a bit of a fan favourite here with his play style. But I'm not sure we'd take him at #10 and I doubt he's there at #31. Then again maybe we trade down from #10 and take him. 

On 1/21/2023 at 5:48 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I like Witherspoon and I think he'd be a bit of a fan favourite here with his play style. But I'm not sure we'd take him at #10 and I doubt he's there at #31. Then again maybe we trade down from #10 and take him. 

Sticky in man, good instincts and excellent click/close in zone, plays the run well - a bit light if you want to nitpick.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2023 at 9:38 AM, time2rock said:

I like Witherspoon but gut says we won't take a CB in the top 10 (I think a pick that high is almost certainly going to go DL or OL).  I can see Witherspoon being in play if we were to trade down from 10 though.  Say Detroit wishes to move up from 18 for a player they covet - they offer 18 and 48 to do so.  They have the picks to do so (two 1s, two 2s) and were a borderline playoff team for the first time in years - they may feel compelled to make some big moves to get over that hump.  Witherspoon at 18 would be an ideal pick.  

I agree on your take with oline and dline at 10 but if we do go outside that which is a big if, Witherspoon should be the top non lineman prospect on their board imo

• Like 1

On 1/21/2023 at 10:38 AM, time2rock said:

I like that trade and pick.  We could then go for DL, OL and rb or bpa with the late 1st and two 2nds

On 1/23/2023 at 6:47 AM, Godfather said:

Good crop of CB this year. Need to get one

Very deep class.  Would jump on Stevenson at the end of round 2

On 1/21/2023 at 10:38 AM, time2rock said:

I tend to agree they’ll go with a lineman on either side of the ball. Lane probably isn’t playing much longer, so tackle is an upcoming need. Cox is probably gone and not sure they’ll be able to afford Hargrave, so a DT to pair with Davis is in the table.

I do think BG will be back for another year but probably not much longer than that, so another edge rusher to rotate in would be useful. 

I can’t see taking a guard that high but good chance Seumalo isn’t back next year so they may need to add one sooner than later. 

4 minutes ago, nipples said:

I tend to agree they’ll go with a lineman on either side of the ball. Lane probably isn’t playing much longer, so tackle is an upcoming need. Cox is probably gone and not sure they’ll be able to afford Hargrave, so a DT to pair with Davis is in the table.

I do think BG will be back for another year but probably not much longer than that, so another edge rusher to rotate in would be useful. 

I can’t see taking a guard that high but good chance Seumalo isn’t back next year so they may need to add one sooner than later. 

If Kelce doesn't hang em up after this season, I think there's a strong possibility they play Jurgens at RG.  There would be no better situation to be in than to play between Kelce and Johnson for a year (or 2).

1 minute ago, time2rock said:

If Kelce doesn't hang em up after this season, I think there's a strong possibility they play Jurgens at RG.  There would be no better situation to be in than to play between Kelce and Johnson for a year (or 2).

Then he’s so good at guard (like Dickerson) that they leave him there and draft another center for Kelce to mentor before retiring. :lol:

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, time2rock said:

I personally do not see Jurgens as a guard. Plus I dont think that is putting him in a position to succeed. He is a center and that's it.  

On 2/6/2023 at 4:41 AM, time2rock said:

I think Kelce is retiring.

On 2/6/2023 at 5:49 PM, philafan4o8 said:

I personally do not see Jurgens as a guard. Plus I dont think that is putting him in a position to succeed. He is a center and that's it.  

Not true.

image.thumb.png.46accca270586b14958e84645dad6319.png

On 2/7/2023 at 2:22 PM, pgcd3 said:

I think Kelce is retiring.

I think they were so strong this year and he enjoyed it so much more than the previous few years, he may decide to take one last run at a second ring.

If Tyree Wilson isn't there at 10, this would be my #2 choice. Kid's a flat out baller. We can not rely on McPhearson, Jobe, or another mid-late round pick to play across from Slay next year.

• Like 2

If we go CB at 10 Witherspoon is the player I want. I've watched all the highlights as well as breakdowns, games etc ... on most of the prospects and this is the player atop my list. Gonzalez would be my #2. I think the Eagles will be looking to trade down from 10 though as it is a really good CB class and it is a position they can address into Rd 2. We are going to need a few more draft picks this year if we can get them.

15 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

I think they were so strong this year and he enjoyed it so much more than the previous few years, he may decide to take one last run at a second ring.

I also think this only because this will be Jalen’s last year on his rookie deal

3 hours ago, Rey said:

If we go CB at 10 Witherspoon is the player I want. I've watched all the highlights as well as breakdowns, games etc ... on most of the prospects and this is the player atop my list. Gonzalez would be my #2. I think the Eagles will be looking to trade down from 10 though as it is a really good CB class and it is a position they can address into Rd 2. We are going to need a few more draft picks this year if we can get them.

I do think there is a ton of value in the 2nd round at CB, Garrett Williams probably my favorite of that group. Would love Witherspoon as the only 1st round CB for the Eagles. We need a playmaker as I am sure next year is Slay’s last.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

I do think there is a ton of value in the 2nd round at CB, Garrett Williams probably my favorite of that group. Would love Witherspoon as the only 1st round CB for the Eagles. We need a playmaker as I am sure next year is Slay’s last.

agreed. I don't think there's any chance Bradbury returns and Slay's 32 or 33 ... likely entering his final season with the Birds. CB is almost a must in Rd 1 or 2. Assuming Gardner-Johnson re-ups with us ... if not then we are really in a pickle.

4 minutes ago, Rey said:

agreed. I don't think there's any chance Bradbury returns and Slay's 32 or 33 ... likely entering his final season with the Birds. CB is almost a must in Rd 1 or 2. Assuming Gardner-Johnson re-ups with us ... if not then we are really in a pickle.

Honestly I doubt the top lineman make it to 10. I think everyone is overestimating the number of QBs that will be drafted in top 9. So there is a possibility Witherspoon may be the the best available 

2 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

Honestly I doubt the top lineman make it to 10. I think everyone is overestimating the number of QBs that will be drafted in top 9. So there is a possibility Witherspoon may be the the best available 

The Lions are the one team I would fear taking Witherspoon ahead of us. As far as DLinemen, the two Blue Chippers (Carter/Anderson) will be gone in the top 5-6, I'm not in love with any of the other DLInemen at 10. OL Paris Johnson is the one OLineman I wouldn't mind at 10 ... can play inside or out.