Devon Witherspoon (Illinois CB) -- DRAFTED BY SEATTLE #5

philafan4o8

3 hours ago, Rey said:

The Lions are the one team I would fear taking Witherspoon ahead of us. As far as DLinemen, the two Blue Chippers (Carter/Anderson) will be gone in the top 5-6, I'm not in love with any of the other DLInemen at 10. OL Paris Johnson is the one OLineman I wouldn't mind at 10 ... can play inside or out.

I don’t think Dan Campbell goes that route to be honest but interesting to see what direction they go

Seems like the PFF game is starting to loosen up a bit - last week Witherspoon was rarely available at 10, guys wouldn't be an option 20+ spots beyond their big board ranking.  

Draft.png

On 1/21/2023 at 10:38 AM, time2rock said:

I like Witherspoon but gut says we won't take a CB in the top 10 (I think a pick that high is almost certainly going to go DL or OL).  

This has been the problem, year after year we're addressing the OL and DL while neglecting other positions like LBs and DBs.

KC had two rookies CBs and radically turned their defense around, the Eagles should follow suite with at least 1 CB because of the pending departure of Bradberry who likewise turned out defense around. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, EagleVA said:

This has been the problem, year after year we're addressing the OL and DL while neglecting other positions like LBs and DBs.

KC had two rookies CBs and radically turned their defense around, the Eagles should follow suite with at least 1 CB because of the pending departure of Bradberry who likewise turned out defense around. 

I'm with you on that ... I just don't think that is what Howie will do.  But hope I'm wrong.  A CB will have much more of an immediate impact than an edge rusher who will sit behind Sweat and Reddick (like Davis did last season).  

Ideally, we can find a trade partner to move down a couple spots from 10 to pick up additional picks in rounds 2-5 (since we have none in rounds 4-6 currently) and grab Witherspoon.  

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

I'm with you on that ... I just don't think that is what Howie will do.  But hope I'm wrong.  A CB will have much more of an immediate impact than an edge rusher who will sit behind Sweat and Reddick (like Davis did last season).  

Ideally, we can find a trade partner to move down a couple spots from 10 to pick up additional picks in rounds 2-5 (since we have none in rounds 4-6 currently) and grab Witherspoon.  

Most mocks I've seen have Witherspoon going before our pick not after. Doesn't mean much today of course

2 minutes ago, pgcd3 said:

Most mocks I've seen have Witherspoon going before our pick not after. Doesn't mean much today of course

The tradedown idea is solid if you think a) Witherspoon, Gonzalez, Porter, etc. are relatively interchangeable -or- b) you can get good value at the position at 30 (Forbes, Banks, etc.).

Personally, I put Witherspoon and Gonzalez in the top-tier for CBs.  The edge players who might be available around 10 are a bit shaky production-wise, and Kancey's size is worrisome.  If Kelce and Seumalo depart, then I'd feel OK with the OL options.

8 minutes ago, pgcd3 said:

Have to assume there will likely be 3 QBs taken in the top 10.  Further likely a safe assumption that there will be several DL taken top 10 as well (Anderson, Carter, probably Murphy, Bresee).  Teams are always looking to upgrade their OL and take OTs early (Skoronski, Johnson).  Then again, CBs are going higher recently (Stingley, Sauce, Horn, Surtain, etc.) so who knows.  It only takes one team to want a QB and he does seem to be the consensus top of the class.  

12 hours ago, time2rock said:

IIdeally, we can find a trade partner to move down a couple spots from 10 to pick up additional picks in rounds 2-5 (since we have none in rounds 4-6 currently) and grab Witherspoon.  

I'm with you on this bigtime, I'd love to get a 2nd and a 4th by doing so.........I can't believe Mr. Potato head traded away that 4th.

Trade back

11 hours ago, Waiting4Someday said:

The tradedown idea is solid if you think a) Witherspoon, Gonzalez, Porter, etc. are relatively interchangeable -or- b) you can get good value at the position at 30 (Forbes, Banks, etc.).

Personally, I put Witherspoon and Gonzalez in the top-tier for CBs.  The edge players who might be available around 10 are a bit shaky production-wise, and Kancey's size is worrisome.  If Kelce and Seumalo depart, then I'd feel OK with the OL options.

Porter is better than Gonzalez and faced way better competition at WR.

On 2/27/2023 at 9:34 PM, Swimm said:

Trade back

Porter is better than Gonzalez and faced way better competition at WR.

Porter is a beast within 5yds of the LOS pressing due to the length/strength, beyond that he's a bit tight in terms of transitions and COD.  If our D transitions to press heavy, or C3 so that he can play with his hips turned then sign me up.  If we stick with off coverage/zone heavy, then his positives would be wasted here. 

IF the Birds stay at #10, Witherspoon is who I'd like to see them take, even though he's a bit undersized

• Like 1

On 2/26/2023 at 10:58 PM, EagleVA said:

Agreed. This is a draft where they need to come out with at least 2 DBs IMO. They will not be able to afford DBs on the open market outside of vets on the downside of their career for the foreseeable future. I wouldn't be surprised if they moved Slay.

3 hours ago, pgcd3 said:

Bummer

Good way to make yourself drop in the draft and get picked up by a better team 🤣... aka the Birds!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, judunno said:

Agreed. This is a draft where they need to come out with at least 2 DBs IMO. They will not be able to afford DBs on the open market outside of vets on the downside of their career for the foreseeable future. I wouldn't be surprised if they moved Slay.

Hard to say we need to follow suit when Hurts shredded that defense. The Chiefs actually had 4 rookies in the secondary that were starters. It wasn't the reason they won and it wasn't the reason we lost.

Yes, they need to address the secondary but I think the d-line I think is more of a need. They can just draft as the board falls. If Witherspoon falls to 10, I say draft him. But if they pass on him for a better player and get a CB at 30 (CB class is deep) then I would not be upset either.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, philafan4o8 said:

Hard to say we need to follow suit when Hurts shredded that defense. The Chiefs actually had 4 rookies in the secondary that were starters. It wasn't the reason they won and it wasn't the reason we lost.

Yes, they need to address the secondary but I think the d-line I think is more of a need. They can just draft as the board falls. If Witherspoon falls to 10, I say draft him. But if they pass on him for a better player and get a CB at 30 (CB class is deep) then I would not be upset either.

True. For me targets early should be CBs (Witherspoon, Gonzalez) at 10. If both aren't available trade down and go heavy pass rush and try to nab a CBs (Garret Williams, Hodges-Tomlinson)

Van Ness, Nolan Smith, McDonald IV, Adebawore, Gervon Dexter, Benton should be on the radar. Andre Carter looks like he will slip pretty badly based on his post-season performances but a nice NFL diet and strength program could make him a beast as well.

1 hour ago, judunno said:

True. For me targets early should be CBs (Witherspoon, Gonzalez) at 10. If both aren't available trade down and go heavy pass rush and try to nab a CBs (Garret Williams, Hodges-Tomlinson)

Van Ness, Nolan Smith, McDonald IV, Adebawore, Gervon Dexter, Benton should be on the radar. Andre Carter looks like he will slip pretty badly based on his post-season performances but a nice NFL diet and strength program could make him a beast as well.

Fair enough, I honestly think the Eagles should use the #10 pick on the best player available regardless of position (minus QB or WR). So realistically that leaves us the Eagles looking for CB, DL, and OL.

Personally, I like Witherspoon. The jury is still out for Gonzalez, to me. I think Paris Johnson is a sneaky Eagles pick at 10 as well. 

Most of the DL you named above are 3-4 OLB imo. I dont think that is a need with Sweat and Reddick. The Eagles need some 5 technique dlinemen (3-4 DEs). That will be your Calijah Kanceys (maybe) and Brian Bresees. They could be at play at 10 as well. 

My point, Eagles should not trade down from 10. If anything, they should trade down at the 30 pick to accumulate more picks. The 2nd round is going to be loaded with talent at CB, if they miss out on top CBs

I think Gonzalez running a 4.38 will cause some teams to take him over Witherspoon. Witherspoon come to #10! lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

I think Gonzalez running a 4.38 will cause some teams to take him over Witherspoon. Witherspoon come to #10! lol

He was actually expected to run faster given his track background. So it was a known that he'd be fast even before the combine 

13 hours ago, judunno said:

He was actually expected to run faster given his track background. So it was a known that he'd be fast even before the combine 

Knowing he is fast and testing fast is good. I don’t think anyone is disappointed in his 4.38. Him running it confirms his speed which may lead teams to take him over Witherspoon who did not run and there are questions on his long speed (which I don’t care about much because I didn’t see anyone running by him like that

8 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

Knowing he is fast and testing fast is good. I don’t think anyone is disappointed in his 4.38. Him running it confirms his speed which may lead teams to take him over Witherspoon who did not run and there are questions on his long speed (which I don’t care about much because I didn’t see anyone running by him like that

Give me either one. Wouldn't be surprised if they're both gone by the time we pick. I was hoping that a lot of QBs went in the top 10 but they look underwhelming. Maybe it's just me.

Edit: Nevermind on the QB thing hahaha. Anthony Richardson just destroyed the combine

• Haha 1

On 2/27/2023 at 9:56 AM, Waiting4Someday said:

Howie see's Kelce and Lane Johnson getting older and takes....OT-  Paris Johnson Jr.  Ohio State. 

I really hope Witherspoon is the pick. Carter, Anderson and Tyree Wilson would all be worth taking, but I seriously doubt any of them are there. You can never rule out an O-Lineman, but Witherspoon feels like the BPA at a position of real need.