Jets reportedly sniffing around another Eagles coach for OC job

time2rock

Jets reportedly sniffing around another Eagles coach for OC job

We already knew the Jets interviewed Eagles passing game coordinator Kevin Patullo for their vacant offensive coordinator job but they’re not done looking at Eagles assistants for that position.

The Jets have also spoken with Eagles QBs coach Brian Johnson for that opening, ESPN’s Dianni Russini reported.

image.png.3fd373721e79e8d8f4015d22e4bac8bf.png

In addition to those two, the Jets have also spoken with former Colts OC Marcus Brady, who has been consulting for Jonathan Gannon and the Eagles’ defense in the second half of the season.

So it seems like there’s a decent chance the Jets pull someone out of the NovaCare Complex to become their next OC after moving on from Mike LaFleur last week.

Johnson, 35, is in his second year as the Eagles’ quarterbacks coach and has done a tremendous job with Jalen Hurts. While Hurts showed promise in 2021, he had a Pro Bowl season in 2022 and turned himself into a legitimate MVP candidate with plenty of help from Johnson.

This is the second year in a row Johnson has been interviewed for an offensive coordinator position. The Packers interviewed him last season before promoting Adam Stenavich.

It doesn’t look like Johnson will stay in this QB coach position very long, especially if the Eagles keep having the kind of success they’ve had in 2022. The Eagles hired Johnson away from the college ranks (Florida and before that Houston, Mississippi State and Utah) and he has been a good fit in the NFL.

Even though he’s been coaching in the NFL for just two seasons, Johnson appears to be a quick riser.

The interest in Johnson and Patullo is especially notable because Eagles OC Shane Steichen has become a head coaching candidate for the Texans, Colts and Panthers. And if Steichen were to leave, Johnson and Patullo would be the most logical in-house replacements.

Both Eagles coordinators — Steichen and DC Jonathan Gannon — are head coaching candidates this cycle. If the Eagles lose one or both of them, it would be a loss, but head coach Nick Sirianni has some plans in mind.

"Of course, I want to keep these guys, they're great coordinators, but in the event that I lose them, I have an idea of what I want to do at both spots,” Sirianni said. "The answer is sometimes, yes, it's in the building, sometimes it's outside of the building. But I feel like we have a lot of good options, and I feel like we have a lot of good options in the building that we'd be excited about if that were to happen.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/eagles-brian-johnson-reportedly-candidate-jets-oc-job

I know there's a desire to be promoted and that will not happen here anytime soon.  But still: the Jets?  They've got a train wreck at QB and they need a miracle worker to help resurrect the career of Zach Wilson.  Why not hold out for a situation where you have someone young and developing and/or a team that might draft a QB?  

Does anybody know if the Eagles would likely get comp picks if one of their coaches (like Gannon or Steichen) is hired away as a head coach?  I really wasn’t aware of the concept of comp picks for coaches, but I’m seeing it mentioned in relation to the 49ers Demeco Ryans and others this year. 

And this is exactly why I’m saying Johnson needs to be promoted if Steichen lands a HC job. Someone is going to take him… maybe even Steichen as his OC to his new team. 

My guess is Steichen gets the Texans job, then Johnson is promoted to OC with the Eagles. I’d imagine the Texans look at the job Steichen has done as Hurts coordinator, and want him to do the same for Bryce Young or Stroud, as it’s pretty safe bet they’re taking one of them. 

12 minutes ago, eggs said:

Does anybody know if the Eagles would likely get comp picks if one of their coaches (like Gannon or Steichen) is hired away as a head coach?  I really wasn’t aware of the concept of comp picks for coaches, but I’m seeing it mentioned in relation to the 49ers Demeco Ryans and others this year. 

I think compensation picks really only apply to situations where a coach is still under contract.  For these guys, if they are getting promoted, then we get zippy.  As @nipples said, we need to promote ASAP.

46 minutes ago, eggs said:

The reward of receiving comp picks from losing coaches who are hired as HCs elsewhere only applies to minority hires.  Full text of the resolution below:

2020 RESOLUTION JC-2A

Whereas, the member clubs believe that policies designed to promote equal employment opportunity and a diverse and inclusive workforce advance significant league interests, including improved decision making, enhanced business performance, and representing the NFL as an employer of choice that hires and promotes based on merit; and

Whereas, the member clubs have adopted policies extending over several decades in furtherance of these goals, including policies designed to permit upward mobility and advancement of club employees, particularly those in coaching and football operations roles; and

Whereas, the member clubs believe that it is appropriate to take additional steps to enhance opportunities for employment and advancement of minorities and women in key positions, including leadership roles in coaching, personnel, and football operations,

Be it Resolved, that the League Policy on Equal Employment and Workplace Diversity will be amended as follows:

(i) The employer-club of a minority employee who has been hired by another club as its Head Coach or Primary Football Executive (General Manager) shall receive Draft choice compensation in the form of a compensatory Draft pick in the third round in each of the next two Drafts for an employee hired as either a Head Coach or Primary Football Executive, or for the next three Drafts if it has two employees hired for both positions. The reference to the hiring of employees into "both positions” could be by the same club or different clubs. The following will apply to the Draft choice compensation:
a. Any compensatory Draft picks awarded pursuant to this Policy will be at the end of the third round following all compensatory Draft picks awarded to clubs pursuant to Appendix V of the NFL-NFLPA Collective Bargaining Agreement.
b. If multiple clubs are awarded compensatory Draft picks pursuant to this Policy, then the order of those picks at the end of the third round will follow the original selection order for that Draft established prior to any trades or other adjustments.

(ii) The employer-club shall be eligible to receive this Draft choice compensation if:
a. The minority employee hired as a Head Coach or Primary Football Executive has been employed by the employer-club for a minimum of two full seasons; and
b. The minority employee is not the Head Coach or Primary Football Executive of the employer-club and is hired into the same position with the new club. There can be no break in employment between clubs.

Submitted by Workplace Diversity Committee

Effect: Establishes a system that rewards clubs for developing minority employees who move to the position of Primary Football Executive or Head Coach with other clubs.

Reason: Supports development opportunities for minority employees to advance goals of diversity, equity and inclusion.

We are potentially in a difficult position here. We could lose Johnson when he's perhaps the best option to replace Steichen. But if Steichen isn't given a HC job early then we stand to lose both. 

20 hours ago, nipples said:

And this is exactly why I’m saying Johnson needs to be promoted if Steichen lands a HC job. Someone is going to take him… maybe even Steichen as his OC to his new team. 

My guess is Steichen gets the Texans job, then Johnson is promoted to OC with the Eagles. I’d imagine the Texans look at the job Steichen has done as Hurts coordinator, and want him to do the same for Bryce Young or Stroud, as it’s pretty safe bet they’re taking one of them. 

The Jets hired Hackett, so Johnson is safe (for now).

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jets-hire-nathaniel-hackett-as-offensive-coordinator-ex-broncos-head-coach-joins-new-yorks-coaching-staff/

On 1/26/2023 at 4:54 PM, Erie said:

Because Hackett was so brilliant in Denver. 

Yeah I find this one a little crazy... Not sure I get it at all. 

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah I find this one a little crazy... Not sure I get it at all. 

Maybe they’re trying to lure Rodgers to NY and feel hiring Hackett (who was his OC for a few years in GB) may help in that pursuit.  

5 hours ago, time2rock said:

Maybe they’re trying to lure Rodgers to NY and feel hiring Hackett (who was his OC for a few years in GB) may help in that pursuit.  

Maybe. I was speaking to a Jets fan yesterday about the Rodgers move and we both agreed that would be a mistake. That Jets team is getting better but it isn't a 39 year old Rodgers away from being a contender. 

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Maybe. I was speaking to a Jets fan yesterday about the Rodgers move and we both agreed that would be a mistake. That Jets team is getting better but it isn't a 39 year old Rodgers away from being a contender. 

Oh no doubt.  I too think it would be as big a mistake (for what they would have to give up to get him) as it was for Denver to trade for Wilson.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2023 at 3:18 PM, time2rock said:

The reward of receiving comp picks from losing coaches who are hired as HCs elsewhere only applies to minority hires.  Full text of the resolution below:

Thanks for clarifying.